Directv On demand in Canada using VPN?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bearclan22

Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Akwesasne
First off I know its illegal and everything but I'm not worried about that...I was just wondering if possible how to get the ON Demand working using a VPN cuz I heard it is possible...somehow making ur router have an a merican IP. Anyone know?

If you pay for an account, it's not illegal. As fr the VPN, a good service will cost around $10 pet month.

Getting DirecTV in Canada is against Canadian law, it IS illegal. Nothing to do with whether you pay or not...

get back to the subject, people! you're gonna need SSH-tunnel to do your work. Have you tried inputtig american proxy server in the menu? proxy servers are free on google while VPN cost big bucks. STOP WASTING TIME ARGUING LEGAL/ILLEGAL MATTERS, LEAVE THAT TO ATTORNEYS...! =P

Could you elaborate? I'm a newbie when it comes to all the network stuff. Do I have to fix my modem to have an american IP? I'm a simpleton and would like a step by step way...Thanks

I love how people blatantly ignore what a law is and then when the S@!T hits the fan those guys fade away leaving others holding the bag and cleaning up a mess along with an end user that may or may not be facing some sort of charges for being mislead. Discussing illegal activities CAN possibly get a website shut down. You don't need any lawyers to know that hacking cards, using someone else's ID info to get services, stacking accounts and pulling US DBS signals in CAN is against the law. Some laws are CAN specific, some US specific and some have laws on the books of BOTH countries. It is your responsibly to know the laws in your jurisdictions; it is a FACT that IGNORANCE is NOT a valid defense in the court. Is it overly harsh; now THAT may be your legal question, but if you want laws changed, work on that, but in the mean time you follow them.

Reactions: T134
Getting DirecTV in Canada is against Canadian law, it IS illegal. Nothing to do with whether you pay or not...

Where in Canadian Law does it state it is illegal to receive Directv as a paid subscriber? We are talking about a country, that doesn't have the death penalty, thinking about legalizing marijuana in BC, and is legalizing brothels whereas their Supreme Court overturned two laws against it in March; and you think they have a law on the books that states You Can Not Subscribe to Directv in Canada? Show me. There may be a law if you pirate the signal. Show me and state the Canadian Law that makes it illegal to subscribe and receive Directv Signals in Canada.

While receiving Canadian satellite in the US is not illegal, it's not legal either...hence the gray market moniker.

The reverse however is not true. There are laws, on the books, in Canada expressly making the reception of US satellite TV illegal. You can do the googling yourself.

While receiving Canadian satellite in the US is not illegal, it's not legal either...hence the gray market moniker.

The reverse however is not true. There are laws, on the books, in Canada expressly making the reception of US satellite TV illegal. You can do the googling yourself.

I have yet to find them; and either has half of my family; whereas my wife being a Canadian Citizen and we have relatives spread out all over Ontario and a son and daughter in law, whom live in Newfoundland. Like I said; show me where it is illegal under Canadian Law to subscribe and receive Directv signals.

Is this because Canadian Sat service is soooooo poor ?

I had a Bell system for a while and enjoyed it quite a bit, especially for hockey. But when they moved the footprint too far north AND DirecTV added all the RSNs in HD, I didn't see the point.

Correct...it's also not legal. Bell will not knowingly sell to you but there are certainly ways to get a Canadian address. There are those who will not condone it but I see no big deal as long as you're paying for the programming.

You might be able to use the on demand stuff with a VPN such as unblock us or one of the others.

I don't see directv listed on the unblock us site, in my opinion it is not worth the risk, i mean The VOD would be great but risk losing it all for that? I'm curious if there has ever been a Canadian here that reported their account was cancelled from either plugging in the receiver to the Internet or the phone line.

Where in Canadian Law does it state it is illegal to receive Directv as a paid subscriber?
Read the following paying special attention to section 9(1)(c)

Radiocommunication Act

Because the DIRECTV signal is encrypted and DIRECTV is not the authorized carrier for Canada, it is illegal.

Because you (the person, not the equipment) are effectively decoding the prohibited signal by remote control when you're streaming, you're covered.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)