Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Hi guys ..

I'm having trouble navigating the Directv website for channels without Changing MY package.

Heres the deal:
I have a friend that has the Premium package and needs to save some cash.
She has 3 recvrs
Don't think shes paying for HD as they don't have a HD main set as of yet.

Things she NEEDS:
All the Movie channels (as in HBO/ Cine/Showtime/TMC, whatever premium channels are in that selection in the 500's, she says they scroll thru and watch them all, I suggested to her to pick 2, but she wont).

Speed Channel
Thats about it, locals are already in the packages so shes good there too.

Any ideas guys of anything here that would be cheaper than the $140 p/m shes paying now ... thats including tax.

Thanks

Speed is in Choice Xtra so she could drop to Choice Xtra (69 bucks) then add the movie channels

Choice Extra is the minimum with the Speed channel.

So...

Choice Extra = $69
Lease fee = $12
4 Premiums = $45

Total = $126 before taxes

That said, Premium is the cheaper deal.

Premium = $110
Lease fee= $ 12

Total $122 before taxes

Note both figures don't have DVR, MRV or HD fees.

Choice Extra is the minimum with the Speed channel.

So...

Choice Extra = $69
Lease fee = $12
4 Premiums = $45

Total = $126 before taxes

That said, Premium is the cheaper deal.

Premium = $110
Lease fee= $ 12

Total $122 before taxes

Note both figures don't have DVR, MRV or HD fees.

Thanks,
I forgot, she does have the DVR so thats part of the package too.

The only way she can reduce the cost is to drop some of the premiums. I've juggled the numbers quite a few times myself and it always comes back to if you want all the premiums and a really good base package, Premier is the deal of the day!

The only way she can reduce the cost is to drop some of the premiums. I've juggled the numbers quite a few times myself and it always comes back to if you want all the premiums and a really good base package, Premier is the deal of the day!

Thats what I was afraid of. ... guess shes stuck with hoping for credits then.

Well, after drinking a little more coffee, the light went off in my head.

D* seems to want to keep people on Premier, and will usually (not always, ymmv) offer some sort of discount structure if you call and try to drop down to a lower level. When I've called to drop to a lower level from Premier, I've gotten discounts ranging from $15-$30/month for varying lengths of time. Generally my approach is to tell them that while I like the premium movie channels, the bill is just too high to keep them.

Right now I'm sub'd to Premier, 3 HRs, MRV, DVR, HD (mine if free for 'life'), and NFL ST. With the NFLST payment included, the total I'm paying is $149.99 meaning without NFLST the bill will be $110. Some of the discounts drop off in a month or so, but still will be cheaper than the list price.

It is worth a call.

also remember if she goes for auto bill pay, she can get additional $5.00 off, and another 5 off if she goes with paperless billing

also remember if she goes for auto bill pay, she can get additional $5.00 off, and another 5 off if she goes with paperless billing

While that is often true, it isn't a given.

Any and all discounts/credits you get after you've signed up, not counting new customer deals, are totally discretionary.

Well, other than the various 3-month deals that show up online on occasion.

She managed to get a couple hundred in credits from what she said, not sure what credits, but anything helps.

That sounds like a good deal for her. If they are 6 month credits as they seem to most often do for Premier discounts, then she can call in then the 'drop' down... Seems to work pretty consistently for at least some discounts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts