Directv PQ... Is It Just Me?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have Direc, Dish and Att...

Direc on my 60'' Sony looks the best!! The Ny Rangers, Jets and Giants look incredible
on Direc tv...Thats the main resson i have Direc..No regrets.

Im floored by the picture..Its that good. My wallet is much lighter with the CI and NFL ticket
but what the heck it looks GREAT!

I also havent noticed a decline in PQ. Looks as good as it has been since the new ones came online. I agree with some other posters in that you should try to determine what COULD be wrong. Either that or you simply have higher standards than the rest of us:p

Everything has been looking real good on my 50". And I agree with the Dish statement above, its not as good.

Two sat shows I record each week are Sanctuary on Scifi and Sons of Anarchy on FX.

SoA looks plain awesome in HD, and Sanctuary looks very good.

I'll echo everyone else.

On my "old" Mits 48" RP (HR21/AM21, HDMI-DVI) the PQ is still stunning on HD and the SD is what it is. That hasn't changed for the better or worse.

Same on my 42" Plasma.(H22-HDMI)

I love that his one-manned concern of compression turned into a screen size conversation :D

If it was compressed more than required for MPEG4 transmission, we'd notice. It is the BEST HD of any national carrier, since the MPEG4 rollout (excluding channels 70-79).

For the other purpose of this thread, it looks GREAT on my 120", as well as my 42, 27, and two 19's.

Everything has been looking real good on my 50". And I agree with the Dish statement above, its not as good.

Two sat shows I record each week are Sanctuary on Scifi and Sons of Anarchy on FX.

SoA looks plain awesome in HD, and Sanctuary looks very good.

100%:up

Ok I guess in some ways that is a relief. Maybe my receiver has an issue that can be corrected. I am sitting about 8 feet from the screen so that is not the issue. Blu-ray looks great but I see compression artifacts with D*. Could this be a problem with my receiver? I am running HDMI. Native off. None of my TVs settings are any different from my blu-ray settings. Anything I'm missing?

I just wonder if it has to do more with location and the HD box you have. I have Dish and I've just been floored by how great the image is on my 50" Plasma and even on my 37" LCD.

I wanted to go to Direct because they have more of the HD channels I want (FoxHD, FX, etc) that I can't get now. I walked into 3 Best Buys in the metro Milwaukee area and looked at all of the HD channels. It looked like how my SD channels look. Over compressed.

I even found one that had Transformers recorded on the DVR. I know I recorded that movie the same time and it looked like crap compared to what it looked like on my Dish.

That has prevented me from jumping ship.....so far. But I'm waiting....

No complaints here with the PQ. My new Panny isn't even properly calibrated and I love how it looks.

I just wonder if it has to do more with location and the HD box you have. I have Dish and I've just been floored by how great the image is on my 50" Plasma and even on my 37" LCD.

I wanted to go to Direct because they have more of the HD channels I want (FoxHD, FX, etc) that I can't get now. I walked into 3 Best Buys in the metro Milwaukee area and looked at all of the HD channels. It looked like how my SD channels look. Over compressed.

I even found one that had Transformers recorded on the DVR. I know I recorded that movie the same time and it looked like crap compared to what it looked like on my Dish.

That has prevented me from jumping ship.....so far. But I'm waiting....
Comparing the PQ from your house on your tv to what is shown at Best Buy isnt the best way to do it. You would be much better off finding someone that has D* and taking a look that way.

I'll echo earlier posts that say relying on an in store setup to judge picture quality is a bad idea. You have no idea of what setting they are using, what resolutions are set, how long the cable runs are and other factors that can degrade PQ.

All good and valid points, especially about it maybe bing MPEG2. Thing is, no one that I know that had Direct has the HD box.

What to do, what to do....

All good and valid points, especially about it maybe bing MPEG2. Thing is, no one that I know that had Direct has the HD box.

What to do, what to do....
This is going to sound like I am kind of contradicting myself when it comes to store setups, but some of the specialty stores have special viewing areas that are set up failry close to how a home setup would be. If you could find one of those, they will generally let you adjust and view how you like. Still not as good as a home experience, but close.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts