DIRECTV Price Increase 3/1/06???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My phone is ringing off the hook over here with upset DirecTV dealers calling to tell me the news.

It appears their Fax System is currently sending out the faxes. :(

soundstation said:
Did you think that DISH & Cable would be the only ones raising prices? The programmers give everyone an increase. This has happened the last few rate increases. DISH goes first then a month or so later DIRECTV announces.

Whats the deal Scotty....Your not always going to be the first to know everything....but you have done a dam good job so far. :)

Sorry soundstation that these DTV consumers didnt believe you...Being a retailier I remember why i just read on here becasue you let them know about something and these guys think you are making up stuff.

OKAY, this is it! Its now time for our voice to be heard like we did fot the NFLST! It would be nice to see a nation wide protest of this price hike! Especially since we D* customers have no new HD! D* is clearly lying about how they were going to finance the MPEG4 upgrade! IMO, this is another unjust rate hike to cover their butts for changing over to MPEG4! Clearly they couldn't afford it like the said and are now charging us for their lack of finances! D* sucks! I think Im going back to cable know!

But they gave us the Gay and Lesbian Channel, and the Al Gore channel. My inbox has my Derrectv bill in it and TC+ w/locals is $45.99, going up to $49.99.

I am now a fan of a la carte programming. Since we have 4 HD IRDs it seems like it's time to cancel the crappy SD local channels and keep the bill the same.

HD LIL for fewer locals than our antenna and a price increase to help finance it, no thanks.

That just about figures and the prices are in line with Dish Network's prices as I figured they would be. I guess the rate decrease is the so called HD package.

Stargazer said:
That just about figures and the prices are in line with Dish Network's prices as I figured they would be. I guess the rate decrease is the so called HD package.
I agree..

That sound you just heard was the other shoe dropping. :)

$3, $4 and $6 price increases! WOW!

I wonder how many people who switched to DirecTV because of Dish's price increase are feeling now?

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
That sound you just heard was the other shoe dropping. :)

$3, $4 and $6 price increases! WOW!

I wonder how many people who switched to DirecTV because of Dish's price increase are feeling now?

See ya
Tony
LMAO
Its the same way with Cable so why would anyone think its different with Satellite?

Charter or Cox start the ball and the others follow like clock work with rate hikes.

I guess the upgrade to MPEG-4 is coming out of our pockets. If you figure an increase of 3-6 dollars per subscriber, and over 15 million subscribers, thats about 65 million per month. I feel for the many people that got sucked into a 2 year commitment over the past few months to find out they will be paying more monthly,again so much for the free DVR or AT-9 and H20. I was really looking forward to the rumored HD package included in the TC Premier package. After all it's not worth more than $3 /month. I've been a Directv customer for 10 years because I hated the cable company. I think that it's time to look at what cable is offering. Looking forward to see Fios in my area. Hope the churn rate goes through the roof.

I hate to say it, but I told you so :(. D* must be charging more for that 4th and 5th Premium too, unless they are including the HD pack for only $2 in the TCP package, otherwise TCP at $99.99 does not add up because they were still listing SP for only $97.99.

These things come in three's, and March 1st seems to be D-Day..so what's the third??

1.) moving to leasing equipment,

2.) raising rates, and...

3.) ????

Comeon, D*...kick us in the balls just one more time...

BTW, I just looked at E*'s prices for their AT180 (five channels less than TC+): $52.99 w/ locals. Yikes. D*'s cheaper?? Wow...no wonder they felt they could jack up rates...and STILL be below E* for once..

Hate to see this price increase, but I cant see myself "Moving" back to cable. Those of us who have had cable in the past know what were in for if you move back to them, I did it briefly about a year ago, after I was not happy with HD locals at the time.I did it just over a year ago, and for about six months it was heartache.

Their prices are not better (once you move from the promo to the normal rate) I know it sucks as raising DTV a few bucks goes with Heat, and Gas and all the other stuff going up, but what can we do?. Well we can drop our service I guess, but from reading the passion allot of us have for Electronics and such, will we do that. And again, Cable, in my case as much as I want it to be an option, I know in the long run, I will be VERY unhappy with that also. I would hope that with the raise in price channels they would add some meaningless movie channels like the "Movie channel" to add to the lineup. But I don't see that happening.

I can't move to cable...only to E* (no other choice out here in the sticks..:(). Oh well, the price I pay for being able to see the stars...

soundstation said:
The good new however is that the HD Package is going down $1 to $9.99.
That's not good news, that's bad news. They realize that they are giving us almost nothing and plan on keeping that way. But instead of adding a few more national channels, they throw us a $1.:(

minorthr said:
Does a price increase give you the chance to get out of a contract?
IIRC the last time there was a price increase, I stay at the original price through the contract period. Don't know if they will do it this way again or not. I think they charged the full amount, but offset it with a $3 credit.

satjay said:
...Their (cable) prices are not better (once you move from the promo to the normal rate)...

So true. Comcast called me the other day and offered me Digital Cable (2 boxes), one with their DVR, the HD package and HBO or Cinemax for $63 a month (included taxes). It was very tempting. I am $67 (soon to be $71 with the price increase) and don't have the opportunity to record HD and no movie channels either. Thinking about it, 16 months is a long time to get this type of deal and with NO contract.

Again, satjay, as we've said before, D* has us over the barrel with the NFL ST and our love of football.

Here's my Cox comparison for Tucson:

Cable Service = $39.95
3 Tiers of Digital = $20.00
DVR x 4= $60.00
HD DVR = $20.00
Movie Channels= $28.80

Total = 168.75

With D* I have...

TC Premium=$99.95
1 HD Tivo Box=$0.00
4 SD Tivo Boxes=$20.00
HD Pack=$10.00

Total = $129.95

Almost $40.00 /month cheaper...I'll stay with DirecTV!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)