DirectV problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mijd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Sarasota fl
After being a customer of DirectV from 1997 to 2010 and then again in 2012, I thought I had studied and understood the company's policies. When I signed up again in 2012, I added the Equipment Protection and kept it throughout my contract period. Back in April of this year, my Genie bit the dust and after going through all the troubleshooting procedures, I qualified and was sent a replacement Genie. I checked this forum as well asking DirectV customer services if this replacement would reset my contract which I was told a definite NO. Should have gotten this in writing. Fast forward to this month and I found out today that my contract was auto renewed back in April and will expire 4/16. I'm now paying $93 a month as DirectV just removed my free HD with autopay as that I guess this perk was not automatically renewed in April with my contract.

Call DirecTV and ask for the access card department. If you got a replacement due to a fault you should not have had your contract extended, they will probably fix this for you.
Free HD with autopay was not a lifetime deal, 2 years as I remember? Then it was removed (me too)

Reactions: Jam3s and raoul5788
Free HD with autopay was not a lifetime deal, 2 years as I remember? Then it was removed (me too)
There was a relatively short time back in 2010 where the offer included free HD for life. I recall that the offer lasted for about three months.

Call DirecTV and ask for the access card department. If you got a replacement due to a fault you should not have had your contract extended, they will probably fix this for you.

texasbrit, Just got off the phone with the access card department and the CSR reinstated my contract origination date as 10/15/2012. This forum has provided so much helpful info that has saved many headaches. Thanks!

There was a relatively short time back in 2010 where the offer included free HD for life. I recall that the offer lasted for about three months.
I think that was only for new customers. Existing customers got two years.

texasbrit, Just got off the phone with the access card department and the CSR reinstated my contract origination date as 10/15/2012. This forum has provided so much helpful info that has saved many headaches. Thanks!
You're welcome, glad we could help...

Ever thought about joining the Pub ?

Existing subs didn't get anything unless they called in and inquired ... btw, calling in is Not the same as whining.
Yes, if you just called and asked you got it...

Yes, if you just called and asked you got it...
I still do that once in a while ...
I really don't care if they don't give you HD Free, if they give you $10 off for 12 months for something else, what difference does it make... its still the same money.

D* could set a trend and ELIMINATE the HD FEE that they helped create, but then that would be getting rid of a cash cow they didn't count on in the beginning of the HD explosion ...
Its really hard to give back once you see how easy it is to make that extra money.

I tried to get the HD credit extended today. They said no way. I immediately canceled auto-pay.

HD Fee is just another bogus fee that needs to go away. When my 2 years are up, if I call in and aren't offered a reasonable deal to renew and stay then I'll go right back to E. I have no loyalty with TV companies and just like with Verizon, if the price is unreasonably high then I'll gladly tell them I'm taking a hike. Sure I'll miss the great HD picture but they and other companies are hoping you don't call in and ask for discounts. I've heard if you ask for too many discounts with Directv then they'll quit giving you them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HD fee did go away for new customers. However they're now paying $6 for the 1st receiver. No benefit to auto pay either.

HD Fee is just another bogus fee that needs to go away. When my 2 years are up, if I call in and aren't offered a reasonable deal to renew and stay then I'll go right back to E. I have no loyalty with TV companies and just like with Verizon, if the price is unreasonably high then I'll gladly tell them I'm taking a hike. Sure I'll miss the great HD picture but they and other companies are hoping you don't call in and ask for discounts. I've heard if you ask for too many discounts with Directv then they'll quit giving you them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That "bogus" fee isn't going away any time soon because all the other providers are charging for it.

Before you say, so and so isn't, they really are when they charge the ridiculous amounts to rent a recvr.

The HD fee did go away for new customers. However they're now paying $6 for the 1st receiver. No benefit to auto pay either.
When did the 1st recvr start having a fee ?

Most bills show it being billed in one section and then in the credits, that amount is given back.

It started with the last promo, there were many changes.

Correct. I have it. They have tried to take it away twice but give it back once they look in the computer. A CSR said to me that if you ever downgrade programming below a certain package, it voids the HD for life.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

We see all these arguments as to why one fee or another is "unjustified". You've obviously never worked for a services company. None of these fees need to be justified, they are just a revenue stream. Think how much DirecTV probably makes from the HD fee. If they removed it, they would need to make it up some other way, maybe just by increasing basic rates. It's true that they need to pay for all the "HD satellites", but that's capital investment, I am sure it's not involved in any calculations about the HD fee.
If you look at the old telephone companies, at wireless phone companies , at airlines, and other industries not selling you a physical product, their pricing is full of "fees" that have no relationship to the costs of the service. Remember when you paid extra for domestic "roaming" cellphone calls? It cost them no more for long distance than it did for local calling. It was just a nice revenue stream. Airlines charging for checked bags? You could argue that they have extra baggage handling costs, but in reality it's just a revenue stream.

When did the 1st recvr start having a fee ?
The TV fee showed up with the transition to HD only equipment.

There are no less than three classes of DIRECTV customers now:

Long-timers with optional separate HD, DVR and WHDS fees
Those beset with the $25 Advanced Receiver Fee
New customers with the $15 ARF and paying for the first TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)