Directv PVR question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hesnodgrass

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
Hello all,

Thinking of switching back to Directv after a little more then a year with Dish Network. I have had to exchange the dish network PVR at least 3 times in the past year.

How is the latest crop of HD PVR's for Directv as compared to DN use and functionality? Do they have backup to external Hard Drive like DN? Also is there any truth to the rumors that Tivo will be releasing a new Directv receiver later this year?

Thanks

Harry

Hello all,

Thinking of switching back to Directv after a little more then a year with Dish Network. I have had to exchange the dish network PVR at least 3 times in the past year.

How is the latest crop of HD PVR's for Directv as compared to DN use and functionality? Do they have backup to external Hard Drive like DN? Also is there any truth to the rumors that Tivo will be releasing a new Directv receiver later this year?

Thanks

Harry

As for hardware, Dish is generally better. Directv supports external drives, but it replaces the internal with a larger drive, no backup like on E*.

There is a Tivo for Directv MPEG4 in the works, best guess is early next year.

In general I'd decide on provider based on the programming, whoever has more of what you watch. Although there are differences in the hardware, with E* having it better, they are both very functional. Research the programming, that should be your biggest factor.

Do they have backup to external Hard Drive like DN?
No. If your DVR dies, all of its content (including any external drives that may have been configured for it) dies with it.
Also is there any truth to the rumors that Tivo will be releasing a new Directv receiver later this year?
That is the plan, but details are pretty scarce and nobody is talking.

PVR functionality is the most important to us as we time shift everything like ease of use. Both services have all the channels I want. The reason I am thinking about it, is I got a letter asking me to come back and they are offering the Plus HD DVR package for $49.99 a month for a year with no commitment past the year.

Does anyone know what DVR you get if you order from them now?

Thanks

Harry

In general I'd decide on provider based on the programming, whoever has more of what you watch. Although there are differences in the hardware, with E* having it better, they are both very functional. Research the programming, that should be your biggest factor.

Does anyone know what DVR you get if you order from them now?
No. Further, if they tell you they do know, they are fibbing.

What you get depends entirely on what your area installer happens to have in inventory the morning of the installation. It may be new or refurbished and it may be any one of a half dozen somewhat different units.

The chances that you don't have to fight to get less than a 24 month commitment (even though the offer promises same) are almost nil.

Status
Please reply by conversation.