Directv Quailty Control Visit

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You can call 911, but you also have the right to protect yourself, and your property. If it was a seat member, there would be more then one of them, bad scenario, also if it was a cop, and he is in your backyard, and has not identified himself, Texas set that precedent. You can, absolutely shoot him, if he were armed, and it would be self defense. If it is someone unarmed, different states have different laws. And to rely solely on the police(that's my interpreatation when you say go hide and call the police), is a terrible idea. The amount of time it takes the police to show up, an I truder can already enter and shoot. Being a former combat soldier, I would handle that part of the situation, the same as any other in Baghdad.
Um, dude, your not in Bagdad, your in the USA.
I have no problem talking with a person that comes out and asks what I'm doing ...

Reactions: osu1991
But if that person whose yard you are in, may have had a previous experience, what the contractor or agent in the yard minds, is irrelevant. And private property is just that. Private. It is up to the company(whether it be the actual company, or the technician etc) has a responsibility to contact that home owner. If not, they open the door to risks, that include up to all the points made. The point of the post, is no company, or person gets to go above the personal space a free citizen has. As much as it may make their lives hell, they still must respect that or face the consequences, however that may come.

Its not that you own the utility box, but just because a phone or cable box is in your yard, it is still up to that company to obtain permission to be there to service it. And as far as the QC goes, if unmarked, then at that time, until identified and allowed to enter the property, it is trespassing. Want to hear something funny. Same thing goes for the police. No single company has the supreme right to intrude into the private property of any free citizen without express consent from the home owner, or someone legally allowed to speak on their behalf. Just because it makes your job more difficult and you are not paid to care, it is not our concern as a consumer(especially like the above story where he had none of the services from the company on his property), to care how hard your job is. That is between you and your employer. As a consumer, our only care is to receive the services outlined within the agreement with the company for whatever monetary value we agreed upon. If it is to hard for you, and you're not paid enough, ask for a raise, or find a new job. If it were my property, and my dog got maxed, at that point I am legally allowed to protect my property from further destruction(my dogs well being as I have signs posted in my home), with up to lethal force. Especially since you brought the first weapon(mace). My dog was doing what she was trained to do, and keep my property safe. She is my minimum force for self defense on MY personal property.
You are a VERY insecure person ....

What do you do for a living ?

Also, you are Very wrong.
If your neighbor needs service and the box supplying service to them is in your yard.... your damn right i have access.
You seem.to fail to realize a typical. utility box services at least 4 homes.

I would suggest you read the terms of service for utilities an such,which probably vary by state or even city to city, because around here, they have a right to go back to the right of way or easement without knocking on the door or notifying the homeowner.

Formerly worked for dish network. And if I don't have that company then my neighbors concerns are not mine, professionally. It would come to a personal level on if I want to let the worker fix my neighbors cable in my yard. I have satellite so if cox wants to do work on my property, they have to ask.

But if that person whose yard you are in, may have had a previous experience, what the contractor or agent in the yard minds, is irrelevant. And private property is just that. Private. It is up to the company(whether it be the actual company, or the technician etc) has a responsibility to contact that home owner. If not, they open the door to risks, that include up to all the points made. The point of the post, is no company, or person gets to go above the personal space a free citizen has. As much as it may make their lives hell, they still must respect that or face the consequences, however that may come.
So your first response is to shoot or let your supposive dangerous dog out .... you are a class guy.

I would suggest you read the terms of service for utilities an such,which probably vary by state or even city to city, because around here, they have a right to go back to the right of way or easement without knocking on the door or notifying the homeowner.
It is nice if you do knock, but not require.
Like said previously, i have tools on, usually a vest, probably a ladder with me and a Company vehicle close by .... if they dont know its me, shame on them.
If they just dont like the company and want to be an ass, we can gladly work with that ... when you bring the cops out i appreciate it.

Formerly worked for dish network. And if I don't have that company then my neighbors concerns are not mine, professionally. It would come to a personal level on if I want to let the worker fix my neighbors cable in my yard. I have satellite so if cox wants to do work on my property, they have to ask.
Utilities do Not have to have your permission for Anything... period
Call the cops .... thank you, i bet they side with us.

If my dog was maced, self defense plays out. And with "beware of dogs signs" posted, I can let my dog do her business in her yard.

I had someone do this to me too. They were coming out to inspect my satellite installation a week or two after it was done. In my eyes, that's completely unacceptable. I signed up for your TV services. I didn't extend an open invitation for you to show up unannounced and wander around my property.

I can somewhat understand land based services and utilities doing this kind of stuff because a problem on your property might be affecting the entire neighborhood. Satellite doesn't fall under that category though. If I didn't call and ask for a service visit there is no reason for them to be on my property.

Earlier this summer I walked out the door into my back yard and to my surprise someone from AT&T was working. The kicker is that I don't subscribe to any AT&T services and the pole is actually in a neighbor's yard just on the other side of the fence. I have a 6 foot tall privacy fence surrounding my back yard so he must have decided to open the gate and go back there even though the pole isn't on my property. He was up on a ladder leaning over the fence to the pole.

In the end, it was no harm no foul. He had AT&T logos clearly displayed and he was working on a poll not walking around my yard. Still, I don't like the idea that companies are allowed to access private property like that. That's even more true in this case because I don't subscribe to any of AT&T's services.
Ah...Now we're in the area of easements.
All utility companies have easement rights.
For example, if for instance there are either aerial or buried utilities crossing your property, the utility company employees and agents are deemed to have full an unencumbered access to the utilities and need not seek the property owner's permission to access the utilities.
So for instance there is aerial plant which crosses a lot.. The homeowner has built a fence which lies within or creates a hindrance to said utility. The employee or agent is free to access that utility by normal means. he may make use of a gate and cross the property at ANY time.
Property owners are not permitted to build any structure that may prevent free access to the utility.
When I was in the cable business, I came upon a situation where I had access a tap on a pole that had a fence preventing access. This is actually illegal. Even though the plat shows the boundaries of the property includes the easement, the easement MUST be kept clear of all structures and other encumbrances which prevent access to the utility.
The typical utility easement is 5 feet on either side of the outermost utility. So for instance the telco and gas is buried three feet apart and within the 5 foot easement, that pathway is actually 13 feet wide. 5 feet to the left, 5 feet to the right and add in the 3 feet in between. In the eyes of the utility companies, your fence does not exist and you must leave full access to the utilities at all times.
I am versed in these provisions based on my experience with locating buried utilities. It is the law.
Lastly. Whether you subscribe to the utility service ( in this case AT&T) is immaterial. Their "plant" crosses your property. Therefore under the law, AT&T or it's agents have free and full access to their plant.

Reactions: osu1991
Thats right, however if a violent act is not made, you have no SELF defense to fall back on.
Beg to differ. Unless a person on my property has either my verbal or written permission to be on my property or displays reasonable identification, he or she is considered to be trespassing.
When I was a locator, as inconvenient as it was, I was required to ring or knock FIRST before entering the property on which I was marking utilities.
Yes I was working for the utility companies. Yes I had free and full access to those utilities, but I had to get to them by crossing the land owned by a private citizen. We would, as a courtesy, alert the property owner as to our presence.

Ah...Now we're in the area of easements.
All utility companies have easement rights.
For example, if for instance there are either aerial or buried utilities crossing your property, the utility company employees and agents are deemed to have full an unencumbered access to the utilities and need not seek the property owner's permission to access the utilities.
So for instance there is aerial plant which crosses a lot.. The homeowner has built a fence which lies within or creates a hindrance to said utility. The employee or agent is free to access that utility by normal means. he may make use of a gate and cross the property at ANY time.
Property owners are not permitted to build any structure that may prevent free access to the utility.
When I was in the cable business, I came upon a situation where I had access a tap on a pole that had a fence preventing access. This is actually illegal. Even though the plat shows the boundaries of the property includes the easement, the easement MUST be kept clear of all structures and other encumbrances which prevent access to the utility.
The typical utility easement is 5 feet on either side of the outermost utility. So for instance the telco and gas is buried three feet apart and within the 5 foot easement, that pathway is actually 13 feet wide. 5 feet to the left, 5 feet to the right and add in the 3 feet in between. In the eyes of the utility companies, your fence does not exist and you must leave full access to the utilities at all times.
I am versed in these provisions based on my experience with locating buried utilities. It is the law.
Lastly. Whether you subscribe to the utility service ( in this case AT&T) is immaterial. Their "plant" crosses your property. Therefore under the law, AT&T or it's agents have free and full access to their plant.
I'm glad somebody here understands ...

Oh, no were talking about being in a yard other than the subs, to fix the sub of course, I ALWAYS call first.

Ya wanna know something though about calling first .... 20% of the time I call the CBR and it goes to someone that doesn't even KNOW thew SUB.

Now if the customer doesn't give you a number to reach them that is legit, what ya gonna do.
I understand. I used ot locate buried utilities. Most of the utilities in this area are rear easement.
I knocked on a lot of doors.
Rang lots of doorbells.
ON occasion the property owner who ignored the ring/knock would come out and ask me what I was doing on their property. I'd then have to explain my presence. It was a PITA.
Trsut me when I say this....I want to find the people who invented rear easement and scare them to death. I grew up in NJ,.....There is no such thing as rear easement.

Beg to differ. Unless a person on my property has either my verbal or written permission to be on my property or displays reasonable identification, he or she is considered to be trespassing.
When I was a locator, as inconvenient as it was, I was required to ring or knock FIRST before entering the property on which I was marking utilities.
Yes I was working for the utility companies. Yes I had free and full access to those utilities, but I had to get to them by crossing the land owned by a private citizen. We would, as a courtesy, alert the property owner as to our presence.
Of course you would and if they didnt answer the door after you knocked ?

I understand. I used ot locate buried utilities. Most of the utilities in this area are rear easement.
I knocked on a lot of doors.
Rang lots of doorbells.
ON occasion the property owner who ignored the ring/knock would come out and ask me what I was doing on their property. I'd then have to explain my presence. It was a PITA.
Trsut me when I say this....I want to find the people who invented rear easement and scare them to death. I grew up in NJ,.....There is no such thing as rear easement.
Oh, i would love all my utilities to be in front yards, but the property owners hate them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)