DirecTV R15 Phone Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aylcharm

Original poster
Oct 14, 2006
First of all I would just like to say that I preface my questions with: "This unit sucks compared to the TIVO." It is not user friendly at all. More HD Drive is the only plus.

Questions:

1. Does this unit alert you (as the tivo did) when you need to make a phone call?
2. Can you force it to make a phone call
3. Does this unit have the suggestion feature like the tivo?
4. What about the thumbs up thumbs down feature that the tivo had - anything like that on this unit
5. When I use the search feature why isn't it picking up all the channels. For instance, I want to get a series link for one life to live which comes on ABC. When I search by one live to live the only channels I get are ABCE and ABCW, not my local ABC channel. When I search by ABC the only options that come up are ABCE and ABCW. Also, lets say I am searching by channel and I search by VH1 how come if I search all the way to the next day the unit shows no information. I thought I should be able to see out to 14 days.

This is so frustrating. I knew the in's and out's of the tivo within a few minutes. This is bogus, I'm glad it was free.

Questions:

1. Does this unit alert you (as the tivo did) when you need to make a phone call?

No, it doesn't need to make phone calls (except to report PPV via the remote control). It won't even care if you don't have a phone connection (no nag screen).

2. Can you force it to make a phone call

No (see above).

3. Does this unit have the suggestion feature like the tivo?

No

4. What about the thumbs up thumbs down feature that the tivo had - anything like that on this unit

No. These are both Tivo patented items, I believe.

5. When I use the search feature why isn't it picking up all the channels. For instance, I want to get a series link for one life to live which comes on ABC. When I search by one live to live the only channels I get are ABCE and ABCW, not my local ABC channel. When I search by ABC the only options that come up are ABCE and ABCW. Also, lets say I am searching by channel and I search by VH1 how come if I search all the way to the next day the unit shows no information. I thought I should be able to see out to 14 days.

Has the unit been in service for a few days? It takes a while for the guide to be filled up out to 14 days. This may explain why the series link isn't finding what you want.

Thank you Bob! You helped me out a lot. This is the first day the unit has been in service so I am sure you are right about question #5. Good to know I won't be needing my phone line. I appreciate your help. Oh in regards to the phone line, I hear updates will be coming out soon. Are they updated automatically without use of a phone line?

Thanks again!

I never use Thumbs Up and Down on my TIVO. Isnt that when you want Tivo to record stuff for you that you dont need? I noticed that feature after my hard drive start filling up with ridiculous shows that I would never watch in my life. I hated that feature. Had to go and manually delete shows I never requested to be recorded. Until I figured out about a year later how to disable Tivo Suggestions option................

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts