DirecTV / RCA Receiver question..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ksmithtwn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
Canada
Hey guys, I've searched around for this but couldnt find any direct information about it on the site.. So I'll post my question here..

I picked up a RCA "DRD420RE" DTV receiver today, I brought it back to the cottage and didnt expect it to work, but I plugged it in and it powered up fine..

Questions:
1) I have another DTV box at home (older) and it has a Access Card in it, can I put it in this one and will it be like 'compatable' will it recognise that there is a smart card in there and stop asking me for one? For example I know that if you were to take like a Dish 3100 smart card and put it in to a 2700 receiver it wouldnt work, is it the same way with the DTV cards?

2) If I were to point a dish at 101* would I be able to still load the Interactive Weather application even though my card is not still active? Can I use an old non-activated card / Do I need a card at all to launch it? / Or would I need an active card period?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

You need to have the card "married" to the receiver by calling Directv. In most cases they will transfer a card from one receiver to another on the same account (some models have incompatible cards). If they cannot do this, a new card will cost $20.

I don't know if that receiver is compatible with the interactive function. I had a RCA (different model) which only worked with the older (wink) interactive feature, which was discontinued a few years ago. In any case, it will need a valid access card.

I don't know if that receiver is compatible with the interactive function. I had a RCA (different model) which only worked with the older (wink) interactive feature, which was discontinued a few years ago. In any case, it will need a valid access card.
Yeah thats what mine says in the main menu "Interactive Service Powered by Wink". I do belive this receiver does Interactive, so lets say I have the married card for it but there is no service on the card, can I launch the current iTV service off of 101?

I said I didn't know because I am not familiar with that model number. If it is wink, it is NOT compatible with the current interactive feature, which is completely different.

Thank you both, the reason I bring this up is because a few years ago I remember taking an old box with an old card and managed to pull in some sort of interactive weather.. I pulled out a dish 3100, pointed it at 110 and found it. Thanks for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)