Is HR-20 the new HD DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Denman007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
What is directv charging for this?

Does it work well? Are all the bugs worked out of it?

are you a current or new customer? if a new customer, the standard upgrade price is $299 with a $100 rebate. if you are already a customer in good standing, you could probably get a deal to upgrade.

the dvr works well. but directv continues to work out the kinks through software upgrades. the unit is improving on a regular basis!

Thanks.

How can I get some of my programs from the old DVR to DVD or VHS? Is there a direct connection I can make or do I have to use my TV OUT to record while DVR plays back?

Thanks.

How can I get some of my programs from the old DVR to DVD or VHS? Is there a direct connection I can make or do I have to use my TV OUT to record while DVR plays back?

You should be able to transfer programs from yopur existing set up to a DVD/ VCR seperate device, try using the highest quality output you have available connect it to your recording device and hit rec/ play and see how that works out.
Keep in mind you will not have anything higher than 480p when it's done.
In case your wondering, you cannot transfer anything to the new D* DVRs, no input for such a thing.

Jimbo

are you a current or new customer? if a new customer, the standard upgrade price is $299 with a $100 rebate. if you are already a customer in good standing, you could probably get a deal to upgrade.

the dvr works well. but directv continues to work out the kinks through software upgrades. the unit is improving on a regular basis!
They took 10 steps back in some areas with this thing. It won't even operate my Onkyo reciever that my HDtivo handled with ease. How in the world do you go backwards with device codes? And the two giant dongles hanging off the back just sceam mistake. :rolleyes:

Except for the power off function, which is a seperate button on my Onkyo 901, the remote is working fine for me. What are the other 9 things that are a step backwards IYHO?

Except for the power off function, which is a seperate button on my Onkyo 901, the remote is working fine for me. What are the other 9 things that are a step backwards IYHO?
Theres a lot.
no Tivo, no swapping between tuners, no dual live buffers, incomplete codes for the remote. Im sure the more I use it the more I can find.

Theres a lot.
no Tivo, no swapping between tuners, no dual live buffers, incomplete codes for the remote. Im sure the more I use it the more I can find.

Except for your issue with the remote code for your Onkyo, what you've mentioned are well documented changes/differencs all over the internet. With the amount of time you spend posting in D* forums none of those should have been a surprise to you and if it was a major problem for you, you should have not installed a HR20 and kept what you had or moved on to another service that MIGHT have made you happy.

Last edited:
Theres a lot.

Do you deliberately try to find and point out everything that is negative? I loved my HR10-250 HD Tivo but it had flaws too. Composite (RCA or S-Video) wouldn't work unless you dropped it to 480i, no simultaneous HDMI and Component out, guide was slow for first 2 years, etc. But those things were overcome by the positive. Its the same with the HR20. Just try to enjoy it first before trying to find every living flaw. !sadroll

Except for your issue with the remote code for your Onkyo, what you've mentioned are well documented changes/differencs all over the internet. With the amount of time you spend posting in D* forums none of those should have been a surprise to you and if it was a major problem for you, you should have not installed a HR20 and kept what you had or moved on to another service that MIGHT have made you happy.
Please point me to the thread so easily found on the internet that states that the Onkyo TXNR801 codes dont work :rolleyes:

Do you deliberately try to find and point out everything that is negative? I loved my HR10-250 HD Tivo but it had flaws too. Composite (RCA or S-Video) wouldn't work unless you dropped it to 480i, no simultaneous HDMI and Component out, guide was slow for first 2 years, etc. But those things were overcome by the positive. Its the same with the HR20. Just try to enjoy it first before trying to find every living flaw. !sadroll
I really have no use for composite, s video nor simultaneous output thankyou. The guide appears to be a little quicker and the digital Coax connection on the HR20-100 is a nice upgrade. As is SATA. However I see nothing wrong with pointing out flaws, other than hearing crys from annoyances like Rad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts