DIRECTV reaches deal with Tribune (Or maybe not!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScottChez said:
Maybe they are holding out to finish contract terms for DirecTV to carry the SupperStation package like Dish Network has today.

KTLA (Los Angeles), WPIX (New York), KWGN (Denver), WSBK (Boston) and WWOR (New York)

Oh wait, just dreaming in HD again, it will never happen.

Just remember WSBK is owned by CBS. Tribune sold it's only Boston station (WLVI) to Sunbeam. And we Dish subs are dreaming of superstations in HD as well.

For small markets that don't have a large variety of daytime and late night programming?

Not nearly as much duplication as carrying multiple CONUS feeds of the same sporting event.

you mean massive amounts of re-runs, re-hash, re-runs, re-hash? yawn! those shows can be seen on channels already offered.

you mean massive amounts of re-runs, re-hash, re-runs, re-hash? yawn! those shows can be seen on channels already offered.

I agree. They need to drop all of the HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz channels except the main ones because all of those movies can be seen on the original channels even if you have to wait awhile .

Jimbo said:
When I originally read it, it sounded like D*N had an agreement with all but WGNA.
WGNA is not a Local like the rest, wonder if they could settle on the locals and continue working on the WGNA ...
Of course that is up to the Trib, seeing D* has already said they will continue showing and continue to negotiate ...

Of course D* would continue showing it and tribune would be the one to pull it. Tribune is the seller and Directv is the buyer. Tribune wants more money or they will withhold their product. Directv would keep it forever at the lower price if tribune would let them. What incentive would Directv have for being the one to pull the channels?

G4 was its own failure

Comcast did such a great job with that channel!

Yes, that's sarcasm, sheldon.

I miss the days of TechTV or should I say ZDTV. I remember when it first came on air, it was in the clear on analog C band back in 1998 or 1999.

Maybe they are holding out to finish contract terms for DirecTV to carry the SupperStation package like Dish Network has today.

KTLA (Los Angeles), WPIX (New York), KWGN (Denver), WSBK (Boston) and WWOR (New York)

Oh wait, just dreaming in HD again, it will never happen.

No contract is needed to carry the superstations so I doubt that is it.

ratings is part of the story; they have higher ratings than others and lower than others but AD REVENUE for such an obscure network is fine. it is not nearly a failure and certainly not on the scale of what happened to G4; a mainly entertainment oriented / "mainstream" channel

Here is an update from DirecTV...

Tribune/WGN Update: Unfortunately, Tribune has told us that we must take down their stations sometime after 12 AM PT tonight. It’s the last thing we want to do but we have no choice. Please ask Tribune to let us keep your channels on the air.

[FONT='lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

Fox should be cool with me torrenting the few shows I watch this week if Tribune pulls it from DirecTV, right? I mean it would take the local cable company at the earliest a week to two weeks to get the cable hooked up. I'm certainly not going to buy the episodes off itunes, because technically i'm already paying to see the shows.

While DIRECTV proclaims it done and then says they're "perplexed"?

Hopefully, for those in the impacted markets, you're right about DIRECTV getting it done but it certainly appears far from over. This would be one of the largest LIL losses to date for either satellite carrier.

Typical FUD from you. Directv never said a deal was done. They did say they were perplexed, since they thought they had an agreement. Go back and reread what they said. Then come back here and say you were wrong. Troll.

I know the Cubs will suck this year but damn, I still like to watch. The "Sports Leader" needs to act by opening day Thursday.

WGN America is in the higher xtra tier, could you imagine if Tribune wants it in Choice and Directv wants it in Ultimate.

Typical FUD from you. Directv never said a deal was done. They did say they were perplexed, since they thought they had an agreement. Go back and reread what they said. Then come back here and say you were wrong. Troll.

Little over the top, don't you think?

Directv said they agreed to pay the request rate for the broadcast local channels, excluding WGN America.

Then later posted that they were perplexed and they didn't have an agreement.

My guess is that Tribune said all-or-nothing, and Directv had already sent out their release thinking that most of the damage would be mitigated.

I know the Cubs will suck this year but damn, I still like to watch. The "Sports Leader" needs to act by opening day Thursday.

WGN America is in the higher xtra tier, could you imagine if Tribune wants it in Choice and Directv wants it in Ultimate.

most cable systems have it in limited basic.

But maybe CLTV is part of deal as well?? (at last in the Chicago area)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)