DIRECTV reaches deal with Tribune (Or maybe not!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
and sadly, for all the contract hard-line posturing and headaches for subscribers; their prices aren't that much better if at all overall for what you get at the end of the day.!!

Agreed. I pay the same price as I did with Dish, and I didn't even have HD or DVR receivers/programming.

Agreed. I pay the same price as I did with Dish, and I didn't even have HD or DVR receivers/programming.
It is just a matter of how they charge you. My local cable and FiOs in my area both claim "Free HD", but fail to tell you that they charge you $10 more per month for each HD receiver/DVR when compared to the SD version, including the primary. So in reality they do not give free HD.

Dish charges less for their base package, but charge more for their equipment. They end up making up the cost in equipment fees. Dish is better than cable in the sense that the first receiver/DVR has no monthly fee.

DIRECTV Responds to Tribune Statement

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- We're extremely perplexed as Tribune management and DIRECTV had a handshake deal on Thursday with an agreed upon rate for their channels. Their actions are the true definition of "bad faith" in every sense of the term.

We can't help but wonder whether Tribune's ability to negotiate a reasonable retransmission agreement with DIRECTV is being undermined by the complexities and competing interests in their lengthy bankruptcy process. Despite our best efforts to compensate Tribune fairly for both WGN America and the local stations, it seems they are focused on unduly benefitting their creditors rather than viewers. Threatening station blackouts to extract an exorbitant fee for all of Tribune's content may provide an improved return for certain banks and hedge funds, but is not in the interest of its viewers and is not a cure for bankruptcy.

Perhaps as a new subscriber, I see posts all the time the other way around - after switching Dish was so much less. After incentives, you come nowhere near paying less with what you describe, in fact you don't/won't. That is a fact. So it is worth it to take a hard line, why do you think Direct is now doing that?? Why do you think Direct has had to add a fee to a few subscribers only because of the cost they are paying RSN's? Some are paying the price for not taking a hard line, and I predict if Direct does not keep taking a hard line especially with RSN's, more will pay an extra fee. Direct is absolutly doing the right thing, unless they cave.

Perhaps as a new subscriber, I see posts all the time the other way around - after switching Dish was so much less. After incentives, you come nowhere near paying less with what you describe, in fact you don't/won't. That is a fact. So it is worth it to take a hard line, why do you think Direct is now doing that?? Why do you think Direct has had to add a fee to a few subscribers only because of the cost they are paying RSN's? Some are paying the price for not taking a hard line, and I predict if Direct does not keep taking a hard line especially with RSN's, more will pay an extra fee. Direct is absolutly doing the right thing, unless they cave.
+1

wgn america seems to be the sticking point.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3337996.story
The disagreement over the agreement seems to hinge on terms for WGN America, Tribune's national cable network.

Yep!! They (Tribune) think that by hijacking WGN at the last moments, and the CHI area sports that they air, primarily the upcoming MLB games, that they can strong-arm their way into a offer that nets more than they are really worth. This would help in the bankruptcy proceedings too I suspect.

charper1 said:
Yep!! They (Tribune) think that by hijacking WGN at the last moments, and the CHI area sports that they air, primarily the upcoming MLB games, that they can strong-arm their way into a offer that nets more than they are really worth. This would help in the bankruptcy proceedings too I suspect.

So, I would expect this to drag on until the day the baseball season starts.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I would assume that is Tribunes thought and they will still likely agree; each side will claim the other caved and that the other was the hold up. Classic

Maybe they are holding out to finish contract terms for DirecTV to carry the SupperStation package like Dish Network has today.

KTLA (Los Angeles), WPIX (New York), KWGN (Denver), WSBK (Boston) and WWOR (New York)

Oh wait, just dreaming in HD again, it will never happen.

When I originally read it, it sounded like D*N had an agreement with all but WGNA.
WGNA is not a Local like the rest, wonder if they could settle on the locals and continue working on the WGNA ...
Of course that is up to the Trib, seeing D* has already said they will continue showing and continue to negotiate ...

This is what the difference is between Directv and Dish. Directv gets it done. Dish just drops it
While DIRECTV proclaims it done and then says they're "perplexed"?

Hopefully, for those in the impacted markets, you're right about DIRECTV getting it done but it certainly appears far from over. This would be one of the largest LIL losses to date for either satellite carrier.

While DIRECTV proclaims it done and then says they're "perplexed"?

Hopefully, for those in the impacted markets, you're right about DIRECTV getting it done but it certainly appears far from over. This would be one of the largest LIL losses to date for either satellite carrier.

If you look at D*'s track record, you would see that typically they get the deal done ....
Doesn't have to be today, they will continue negotiating and keep the programming up, it's all on the Trib if it gets pulled.

If you look at D*'s track record, you would see that typically they get the deal done ....
DIRECTV is a fairly different company than they were a couple of years ago. New Board of Directors and CEO. To assume that nothing is ever going to change is probably folly.

DIRECTV is a fairly different company than they were a couple of years ago. New Board of Directors and CEO. To assume that nothing is ever going to change is probably folly.

Only you pull up the negative whenever possible ...

VS was the only one I can think of that they failed on in the last 6 years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts