DirecTV receiver annoyance

walkerjs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 20, 2004
Okay, so I bought a three receiver RCA dish/triple LNB combo from best buy back in July, and one of the receivers is beginning to act up. (Yes I know now that most 'connesiours' of DBS would say "Don't buy RCA receivers", but I just wanted to get something up and running reasonably cheaply.) More frequently it's up and deciding to spontaneously reboot itself, sometimes requiring an explicit reset. Since it's the one in the living room used mostly by my less-technical-than-me wife, it's kind of a pain since she finds herself not knowing what to do when it happens. It usually comes back after a couple minutes once it's done 'downloading the program guide, please wait', but it is not happening to the other receivers.

So since this equipment must be covered by some warranty is this something I handle with Best Buy, or do I deal with DirecTV, uh, directly? After all, it is kind of their equipment for the next 10 months or so as I go through my mandatory 12 month commitment.

Is it a DRD-435? Did it just start doing it recently? Call Directv they did a software upgrade that affected some receivers and they are replacing them.

They are indeed DRD-435's, and after speaking with DirecTV they said to reset the receivers which I did. Checking through the system setup menu there is an upgrade that was performed on 9/14. Only two receivers are doing it, though all three show the upgrade. Also this upgrade changed the menu in the 'dish pointing' section. There used to be three different selections for each sat in the signal meter menu, and now there is only one with the selection of which sat you're measuring changed with a +/- option. If they do it again since the reset, Direct gave me a number to call them, so looks like I'll be taken care of one way or the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)