Status
Please reply by conversation.

swartzfeger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
Stop HDLite

Wish I had found this before I switched from E* to D*.

If you're happy with your current D* HD, that's great -- move along, nothing to see here.

If you're an E* HD subscriber and thinking of switching, then read this and re-consider.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the link.

Some trivia, it seems LER (sysadmin for this site) hosts the site you posted (this doesn't mean LER necessarily owns or controls the content though), the man gets around, hehe.

The BBB rating has absolutely nothing to do with HD Lite in any way whatsoever. Also I think you will chuckle when you see E*'s grade!

That doesn't really say much if your trying to say echostar is better... Echostar/dish network had 4358 complaints in the last 3 years whereas DTV had 4559 complaints in 3 years.

Good call FlyingJ.

FYI, you can see the general complaint subjects on the link below, it's under "Complaint Closing Statistics":

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportExtensionPage.aspx?CompanyID=81000357&sm=

Take note of the last 2 entries in that table, "Unanswered" and "Unassigned" I wonder what the specifics are, they may have more details on there, if I find them I will share, conversely, if someone here finds them, please share.

I noted the top complaint was, "Agreeing to perform according to their contract".

Disclaimer: I am not stating bias one way or the other, just sharing information.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Not only them but cable as well; And this is already in another 2 or 3 threads already from months ago.

None of these businesses get a great rating because the vast majority of the complainants either can't or don't read the EULA or anything else regarding contracts and then fail to blame themselves and use the BBB just to get even.

Now I will agree to give DirecTV a big "DOINK" toward their F rating for the failure to police their contracted call centers that violated the DNC rules.

Some people need to learn from their own mistakes and failures and just move on; IMHO..

Well, I'll admit the link is a little misleading -- I found the BBB rating link at the StopHD Lite site.

If anyone would like to make a compelling argument as to why an E* HD subscriber enjoying 1920x1080 HD should downgrade to HDLite, I'm all ears (or eyes, a the case may be).

charper1 said:
Some people need to learn from their own mistakes and failures and just move on; IMHO..

So you don't feel HDLite is an issue for people thinking of making the switch?

Funny how some are more willing to chalk the 'failures and mistakes' up to consumers than to the provider that is being less-than-honest with a service they provide.

I'm posting the HDLite link as a caveat emptor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Countless new threads started about nothing new or productive; just add to the numerous threads that have existed for many months.

No one here has said any of the DBS services or cable is perfect, but your ONLY aim now seems to bash, flame and bait others into pissing contests. No where does DirecTV state there resolutions or bit rates to my knowledge. It is what it is. No one there told you you would be getting X or X and the reneged. You assumed and failed to research. End of lesson.

Last edited:
another thing to look at

Dish Work Compaints: 4358 (36 montsh)
DirecTV: 4559
Cox Communications (Phx AZ only) 659

As far as I'm concerned the BBB is a place for people who don't know how to read a contract, or are too stupid to deal with their stupidity go to whine.

swartz

I agree with charper 100%. You made a choice. Now live with your choice. You keep posting the same crap over and over again. Try to keep it in one thread. Maybe they can make an anti-D* section.

Does it matter if it was 12 18 or 36 months? That is insane. With all the problems with service I have had in my life, I have NEVER gone to the BBB to fight my battles. If you can not handle it of fix it on your own, then go crawl in to a corner and cry like a baby. Well I guess a few people are crying like babies here bout they do not have the sense to do it in private.

charper1 said:
Countless new threads started about nothing new or productive; just add to the numerous threads that have existed for many months.

No one here has said any of the DBS services or cable is perfect, but your ONLY aim now seems to bash, flame and bait others into pissing contests. No where does DirecTV state there resolutions or bit rates to my knowledge. It is what it is. No one there told you you would be getting X or X and the reneged. You assumed and failed to research. End of lesson.

Not at all, Charper -- simply to dispel this notion that's promulgated that HDLite is 'no big deal.' It was that attitude among the D* fans here that got me sucked into signing up for D* in the first place.

D* doesn't have to list specs -- I subscribed to their HD service. HD is 16:9 at 720p or 1080i. I didn't get it.

You wouldn't know it by looking at D*s site, nor reading here, since it's basically swept under the rug when it's mentioned. Since people use this as a resource, I thought it was worth mentioning, but it appears the aim here is simply to pick up the pom poms and cheer whenever someone says something bad about their service provider of choice.

Just to keep things fair and balanced -- now that I'm back to Dish, the 811's guide sucks now more than ever after spending some time with the H20.

PS -- if anyone in Phoenix (Charper, etc) want a free A9 and LNB, private message me.

swartzfeger said:
Not at all, Charper -- simply to dispel this notion that's promulgated that HDLite is 'no big deal.' It was that attitude among the D* fans here that got me sucked into signing up for D* in the first place.
People in that thread gave there opinion of what they thought of DIRECTV it is upto you to do further research after getting there opinion no one forced you to get DIRECTV, you are a adult stop blaming others for what you did.:rolleyes:

the first time I was thinking of going from cable to DIRECTV I did over 18hours of research even after getting the opinions of this forum and to this date I do not regret going from cable to DIRECTV.:up :cool:

Fact is, D* (and E*) have limited bandwidth, lots of customers to try and make happy (by adding channels, good or bad), and mandates requiring them to expend bandwidth on public interest stuff and the like, I agree that by a DBS company not revealing this issue is dishonest, but, really, other than being 'honest' with the customer, what good would it serve?, sure a few people might give D* props for being honest (but probably not publically like when a DBS provider does something _wrong_), but it wouldn't raise their bottom line any (remember they are here to make money, not friends), so instead they conceal it, is it right? probably not, is this unique to DBS providers? nope. ISPs practically invented this model, i.e. "Unlimited Internet", overselling their modem pools (AOL at it's worst had something to the effect of 1 modem per 70 customers (the avg of that time was 11 cust. to 1 modem)), even today, all ISPs oversell, is it right? probably not. The difference is, ISPs don't have to launch new satellites and buy new CPE for every customer that needs upgrading to a system with better bandwidth (in DBS's case, mpeg4).

Sure they could drop some of the non-mandate crappy channels, but who's to say what channel is crappy and what's not for every single customer? no matter what non-mandated channels they took off, you'd piss some group off.

I am not defending them in how they market, but I do not think they are doing this to 'mess with our heads" or "p*ss us off". Remember the marketing dept. is a totally different animal than the rest of a company.

Last edited:
It is not upto DIRECTV to tell you if there HD is "Lite" it is upto you to find out if they do or not, what DIRECTV's job is to tell you what is the price of what there offering after that you need to do the research.

HD-lite or not, I am a happy camper with DirecTv and my H20. :D
Everyday there's a new thread about HD-LITE complaints.. getting old I'd say!

No matter what you think of HD-LITE, it beats the crap out of analog NTSC TV. :up

Swartz...I still don't see the connection between your original post and HD-Lite. They are two entirely different subjects.

I am usually positive in this forum, but even I am getting sick of the whining. I have "HD-lite" from Directv and I think its fine. I have watched HD from Dish and Adelphia as well and they all look the same to me. I work in retail and people are always threatening to go to the BBB and I tell them to go. The BBB has better things to do than investigate "HD-lite". I am happy with my HD from D* and my neighbor is happy with his HD from Adelphia. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)