DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What don't you guys get? Black bars on the side , ISN"T HD. I don't watch SD on HD channels. MTV right now . Do you think I'm going to watch MTV SD channel or HD channel? SD, Why Because thats what its being broadcast in 480, Not 720 or 1080. Get it yet! OMG! Making your Receiver upconvert a 480 program to 1080 looks like crap. If your watching it in pillar box mode its ok but if you want it to fill the screen its no better quality then the SD channel version. I want to see proof that the HD channel playing SD is any different then the SD version as far as PQ goes.

Like Doger said I'm confused. SD programmin by it's nature is a 4:3 program material, if you're watching a SD channel and it's filling a 16:9 screen your set top box or your TV is stretching that 4:3 content. So you're saying you like SD channels that pretend to be a HD channel? Sorry, you say you don't like bars and then you don't like stretching, if you're watching a 4:3 SD channel and it's filling a 16"9 screen your box or TV is doing one or the other, bottom line!
Thank you.

What don't you guys get? Black bars on the side , ISN"T HD. I don't watch SD on HD channels. MTV right now . Do you think I'm going to watch MTV SD channel or HD channel? SD, Why Because thats what its being broadcast in 480, Not 720 or 1080. Get it yet! OMG! Making your Receiver upconvert a 480 program to 1080 looks like crap. If your watching it in pillar box mode its ok but if you want it to fill the screen its no better quality then the SD channel version. I want to see proof that the HD channel playing SD is any different then the SD version as far as PQ goes.
Thats it Hemi. The Box, or the tv is upconverting it on an HD tv anyway. It makes no difference, you are not watching it in 480, you are watching it in whatever the native res of the set is. Unless you dont have a fixed pixel display, and I was failry certian that you did. Also, if it is SD and fills the screen it is stretched also, whether or not the tv or the box is doing it. Personally, I would rather stretch it myself, if I so desire. Generally speaking the TV does a better job if thats what you like

No one is trying to say the SD content on the RSNs is HD.

The only reason you guys are even questioning this is because you can't accept that D* HD channels play a lot of SD. SO instead of just admitting that , your just coming up with excuses,on how its still better then SD. Like anyone is going to doubt the HD channel count from D*,as being sub par!. Give it a rest!

The only reason you guys are even questioning this is because you can't accept that D* HD channels play a lot of SD. SO instead of just admitting that , your just coming up with excuses,on how its still better then SD. Like anyone is going to doubt the HD channel count from D*,as being sub par!. Give it a rest!
EVERY providers HD channels at this point play alot of SD.That is NOT limited to D*. Its the nature of the beast. No excuses here. Just saying it looks better upconverted with better compression and (I assume) more bandwidth on an HD channel than it does on the SD counerpart. Then I can stretch to fill, if i so desire, or leave it as it was intended or shot. At least with the HD version there is a chance I get HD content (when it comes to RSNs, on the SD version, I KNOW I wont)

But you do not realize that it is actually better to watch MTV on the the HD channel than on the SD channel. The PQ of MTV on the HD channel is much much better, so why would you choose to watch the same thing on MTV SD? It is this that we do not understand? Remember, MTV does not stretch their content.

But you do not realize that it is actually better to watch MTV on the the HD channel than on the SD channel. The PQ of MTV on the HD channel is much much better, so why would you choose to watch the same thing on MTV SD? .
This is Opinion , Not fact ! and I don't agree! Fios,Cable,D*,E* OTA, I don't care who is showing it.

I didn't say they didn't . And its just as worthless to have an HD channel with no HD. E* has its share too, and I still stick to my claim.
You are only slightly correct. It is not totally worthless because the PQ from these SD programs do look much better.

BTW, I am not making excuses for Direct. I do not watch MTV (I have checked it out though) so I can care less if Direct carries it or not. I can also care less if they count this as an HD station. The fact remains though that the PQ on MTV HD is much better than that on MTV SD....

No Hemi, at least I was trying to figure out your saying you don't watch SD programs with black bars and you don't want SD programming that's stretched, you said "I turn on the SD Version that fills the screen properly", I was trying to find out what you were watching since SD 4:3 progamming is going to do one or the other, that's a fact.

And to be honest, since you dumped D* you're just becoming a troll IMHO over here. Don't have to worry about any future responses from me, you're now on ignore. Enjoy your downrez'ed, over compressed HD channels on E* and we'll enjoy our full rez/non overcompressed HD on D*. Bye

I didn't say they didn't . And its just as worthless to have an HD channel with no HD. E* has its share too, and I still stick to my claim.
No but you did say that "we" cant accept that D* HD channels show alot of SD and are making excuses. Thats not the case, for me anyway, at all. They ALL show alot of SD. I am simply saying that the HD versions of the RSNs look better than the SD versions. I could care less about MTV. Wasnt that the original argument?
That was my whole point anyway. THATS why I am glad about this new roll out. It gives me better PQ on the stuff I got stretched before, and I get the OPTION of actual HD content on those channels that NO E* sub gets. Thats why I dont see at as a bad thing.

This is Opinion , Not fact ! and I don't agree! Fios,Cable,D*,E* OTA, I don't care who is showing it.
Actually it is a fact. The picture is much crisper, less blur, and less artifacting. But, you did not answer my question. If you did want to see something on MTV and you had both MTV SD and MTV HD, why would you choose MTV SD over HD?

No Hemi, at least I was trying to figure out your saying you don't watch SD programs with black bars and you don't want SD programming that's stretched, you said "I turn on the SD Version that fills the screen properly", I was trying to find out what you were watching since SD 4:3 progamming is going to do one or the other, that's a fact.

And to be honest, since you dumped D* you're just becoming a troll IMHO over here. Don't have to worry about any future responses from me, you're now on ignore. Enjoy your downrez'ed, over compressed HD channels on E* and we'll enjoy our full rez/non overcompressed HD on D*. Bye
I am not going to ignore, but good point. You said you dont want pillar box, but you dont like streched. Yet you will watch the SD version of some channels over the HD version because it fills your screen. Doesnt make sense to me.

Really ?? Prove it . Facts can be proven.
I can if there was a way to screen capture both channels and post them. Or you can come over to my house and we can actually look at everything such as crispness, blur, pixelation, artifacting, macroblocking, ex and take an accurate scale of this. IOW, it can be proven, I just don't have the means to show you.

Actually it is a fact. The picture is much crisper, less blur, and less artifacting. But, you did not answer my question. If you did want to see something on MTV and you had both MTV SD and MTV HD, why would you choose MTV SD over HD?
Because he doesnt like pillar box and it fills the screen? :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)