DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I guess if E* adds all my HD locals this week like they claim, and add all that HD premiums including NEW premiums. D* really going to have to pull something out of their Hat to win my business back. I'm getting Free Premium pack from D*, and still didn't turn on D* 1 time the entire weekend. They have nothing for me anymore I guess. YES HD Thats about It. This new HD launch isn't giving me much Hope.

Got confirmation from an inside source that the press release was written wrong in regards to RSNs. It should have said 23 total full time RSNs, not 23 additional. So there will only be 12 RSNs moving from part time to full time. This means that the RSNs will make up 12 of the 35+ additional channels at first, not 23.

If true, that is a nice clarification. Maybe more room now for those HD fishin' shows and Faux News HD :p, the "I want my baby back" channel in HD, etc. And before anyone flames me for making fun of those channels, if you want them and get them, then I am happy for you. All of this additional HD is just the cherry on top for me...not dying to get anything new...just happy with what is offered. :) Looking forward to later this week, next month and this fall to fill in those previously unavailable HD channels.

Honestly Hemi, do you really think Direct is going to stop at ABC Family and 2 premium additions only? I can tell you for certain that they are not...

Patients grasshopper. There is a reason they are taking their time. They are doing things that no other provider will be doing and it takes some adjustments first.

Come on now, if you guys switched everytime there was a release, youd switch every month.

Its already been stated by a reliable source that this is just the beginning of what we'll see out of D11. You guys are nervous nelly's.

Dodger - I sent a requst up to their PR department for clarification on the 23 HD RSNs.

Honestly, I hope it is a mistake for a total of 23 RSNs. That would speak to several other HD channels instead of just a handful.

Using P Smith's post of test channels and the press release alone:

The press release said 130 by the end of summer (Direct is also claiming 150 by the end of the year, which means 20 more down the road). Since Direct is now claiming 95 (counting RSNs and PPV) that leaves 35 new channels to make 130.

35 - 12 RSNs (the ones going to full time) = 23
23 - 6 new PPVs (using P Smith's list and the inside source) = 17
17 - 4 new channels listed (Planet Green, 2 Showtimes, and ABC Family) - 13

13 additional channels not listed to be added to meet the 130 per today's press release.

with the 20 more to make 150 you can look for an additional 33 HD channels throughout the remaining year.

DirecTV to boast 130 HD channels on August 14th, 1080p movies later this year

DirecTV to boast 130 HD channels on August 14th, 1080p movies later this year
by Darren Murph, posted Jul 28th 2008 at 12:40PM

Now this is what we're talking about! On the very same morning that Verizon trumpets its achievement of hitting 100 high-def channels in New York, along comes DirecTV to make that figure look second-rate. The satcaster has just announced that it will be hosting upwards of 130 high-definition channels on August 14th, which means that 30 or so newcomers are just weeks away from going live. All of the channels will be transmitted in the MPEG-4 AVC standard, and if you're curious, it also plans to provide "movies in 1080p" later this year. Included in the new stations will be Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional DirecTV HD pay-per-view channels and 23 more regional sports networks in high-def 24 hours a day. Any other carriers feel like doing the leapfrog today?

Dodger - I sent a requst up to their PR department for clarification on the 23 HD RSNs.

Honestly, I hope it is a mistake for a total of 23 RSNs. That would speak to several other HD channels instead of just a handful.
Here is what it would look like if true

Currently:

12 current part-time moving to full time

FSN Arizona
FSN Cincinnati
FSN Florida
FSN Midwest
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Pittsburgh
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
Sport South
Sun Sports

11 current full time

CSN Chicago HD
CSN Mid-Atlantic HD
FSN Detroit HD
FSN New York HD
FSN West HD
FSN Prime Ticket HD
FSN Southwest HD
MSG HD
NESN HD
SNY HD
YES HD

Using P Smith's post of test channels and the press release alone:

The press release said 130 by the end of summer (Direct is also claiming 150 by the end of the year, which means 20 more down the road). Since Direct is now claiming 95 (counting RSNs and PPV) that leaves 35 new channels to make 130.

35 - 12 RSNs (the ones going to full time) = 23
23 - 6 new PPVs (using P Smith's list and the inside source) = 17
17 - 4 new channels listed (Planet Green, 2 Showtimes, and ABC Family) - 13

13 additional channels not listed to be added to meet the 130 per today's press release.

with the 20 more to make 150 you can look for an additional 33 HD channels throughout the remaining year.

this sounds really damn good! i hope your source is right. that would be great news.

NO NEW HBO OR CINEMAX CHANNELS???????????

THIS IS INSANE! WHAT GIVES???? THIS IS REALLY INSANE.

I want.... as many HBO/MAX multichannels as are offered (all 26 now)

I want.... Travel Channel HD

I want.... the rest of the Showtimes, but not until the HBOs are rolled out... come on!

Planet Green???? Come on... seriously.... Travel Channel HD should come first, and so should Investigation Discovery (which doesn't even exist yet).

30 more RSNs? Games we can't even watch anyway?????

I was so excited to see the headline and then reading the article about made me sick. There they go counting more PPVs in their national HD count.... they don't count.

I cannot believe no new HBO channels... what is going on here?

this sounds really damn good! i hope your source is right. that would be great news.
As do I... A lot of people give there word on his accuracy.

He isn't my source per say, but a reliable source for many on another site for years. He works for Direct and has been very accurate over the last few years.

NO NEW HBO OR CINEMAX CHANNELS???????????

THIS IS INSANE! WHAT GIVES???? THIS IS REALLY INSANE.

I want.... as many HBO/MAX multichannels as are offered (all 26 now)

I want.... Travel Channel HD

I want.... the rest of the Showtimes, but not until the HBOs are rolled out... come on!

Planet Green???? Come on... seriously.... Travel Channel HD should come first, and so should Investigation Discovery (which doesn't even exist yet).

30 more RSNs? Games we can't even watch anyway?????

I was so excited to see the headline and then reading the article about made me sick. There they go counting more PPVs in their national HD count.... they don't count.

I cannot believe no new HBO channels... what is going on here?

Where are you getting the 30 more RSNs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.