DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Correct Dodger. I think what he's thinking is the initial cheapo HDDVD players only went up to 1080i.

I think the only way itll be any improvement is if they allow for more bitrate. Say run 3 1080p ppv's off a 38mb TP to give them a little more. I dont think 1080p at 5 per tp will do any better than 1080i at 5 per tp.

they want to do this with vod to right?

Im wrong, I keep forgetting its going to be download based, so bitrate wont matter.

1080p/24 will be a good thing, depending on their compression. Vudu's 1080p stuff looks good per reviewers, but none of it matches optical media. I think its a good thing that providers are trying to go 1080p, but only if its not a bait and switch.

Viman - that is one that is resonable to expect. I don't remember seeing a release about it, but it has been talked about.

Here's an announcement for ESPNU HD starting up on August 28th.

ESPNU Goes HD In 2008

ESPN announced today that ESPNU will begin broadcasting in High-Definition on August 28, 2008.

In the first year, the 24-hour college sports network will feature more than 200 exclusive live events in high-def, ESPN said.

ESPNU's HD launch, which will occur as the 2008 college football season kicks off, will be the fourth network from ESPN to broadcast in high-def.

Im wrong, I keep forgetting its going to be download based, so bitrate wont matter.

1080p/24 will be a good thing, depending on their compression. Vudu's 1080p stuff looks good per reviewers, but none of it matches optical media. I think its a good thing that providers are trying to go 1080p, but only if its not a bait and switch.

so this means that it will be a very good thing. do you experience this judder? i really haven't seen this on my hdtv. i have seen it on older plasma models.

Okay, I'm lost.

Early on it was posted that there were going to be 30 new HD channels, with 4 being identified as HBO & a couple of others, 3 PPV channels, and 23 RSNs. That did add to 30.

Now it is being said that there are 12 new RSN channels.

So what are the other 11 new HD channels?

Okay, I'm lost.

Early on it was posted that there were going to be 30 new HD channels, with 4 being identified as HBO & a couple of others, 3 PPV channels, and 23 RSNs. That did add to 30.

Now it is being said that there are 12 new RSN channels.

So what are the other 11 new HD channels?

that's a good question. that is the surprise;)

Like I said before, there are things still in motion. Some agreements not done or have a "street date" before they can announce them. Also, the PR speaks to 130 by end of the year, so they have time yet. Networks that aren't HD yet but soon, such as some of the HBOs, ESPNU, etc. will go toward that 12.

Among the new HD channels that DIRECTV will launch next month are ...

Very excited about ESPNU, and glad that the 23 "new" rsn's was a typo.

Looking forward to ESPNU and college football. Anyone remember last year and all the Big10 Network complaining and requests? After a year, the channel was really not as impressive and all the complainers would have had you think it was going to be.

Very excited about ESPNU, and glad that the 23 "new" rsn's was a typo.

Looking forward to ESPNU and college football. Anyone remember last year and all the Big10 Network complaining and requests? After a year, the channel was really not as impressive and all the complainers would have had you think it was going to be.

What is not to like about Big10 network?

I love it for football coverage (not big games, but coverage), basketball and hockey. EVERYTHING they do is in high-def. If they covered a chess game between Michigan and ohiost it would be HD.

I understand if you have no interest in the schools, but for the 8 states that have schools in the big 10, this network is huge. It is the model that any conference looking to their own network should follow.

Even their multiple alternate game feeds are HD. Any football and most basketball game that is not on the big channel coverage is on Big10, regardless of hw many they need to cover at once. It is spectacular coverage volume!

I think they have great PQ, just think the stink big10 people made about it was overrated. Its just another sports channel. Last summer, you would have thought it was the second coming.

I gave up on it, many hours of the day it shows crap. Ill use it as a college football helper if theres a game on I want to see, other than that it serves me no purpose.

Dont get me wrong, its just some of the arguments last year were absurd. Then when you tried to downplay the worth of the channel, people got really pissed. I almost dont see a point to full time rsn's, but hey, at least we can say we have it full time. Even if it doesnt do many of us any good.

I understand that, but what do you want them to cover in the off season of the peak (football/basketball).

They had several baseball/softball games. I'm not into them, but someone watched.

I think of it like this, if you're a smaller big10 school fan, you may see 2-4 football games national coverage each year, perhaps a few more on local (ESPN+) or PPV (out of market). But there are some that simply may not be available.

The conference eliminated the local ESPN+ model / PPV model and went to a network. Smart decision.

I agree - there isn't much to air right now, lots of classic games. But in their season, their coverage is spectacular.

Edit: I was posting this as Jason addressed their lack of programming.

I'd personally like to see RSN's part time, but as long as it doesnt take away from something better, no biggie.

Speaking of BTN. When it was on Dish, the pq on the football was awesome. Now when they show the latest Greatest Games on the network, it is very bad. I have yet to see a replay form last years football season in real hd. Now the Spring games they showed was very good pq. I was wondering why they would not show replays of last years game in hd??

Good thing about D* and their sports dedication, is as other conf networks go live, you know we'll get them. Next could be SEC, all their TV contracts are expiring and its rumored they are putting in clauses for creating the SEC Network. BTN and SEC in HD on D* is a Coll Football Fans dream.

Good thing about D* and their sports dedication, is as other conf networks go live, you know we'll get them. Next could be SEC, all their TV contracts are expiring and its rumored they are putting in clauses for creating the SEC Network. BTN and SEC in HD on D* is a Coll Football Fans dream.

Yep. At the SEC press conference this week, it was a very hot topic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)