DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is where you are wrong. They don't have value too you, but they do have value to Direct and many subs with sports packages and those within the RSN markets (which is why Direct is doing this). Sports packages are a huge revenue source for Direct so value they do have.

No, this is where you are wrong. The "non-FOX RSN" feeds have extra value to D*. The RSNs run duplicative programing and feed Fox Baseball games which require subs to have EI. This could be done with a handful of dedicated premium sports package feeds that run as PPV sidecars (just like they do all the other sports premium packages - ST, MLS, NBA) vs. RSN.

What D has done here is stuffed feeds to bump the HD count which is a joke.

It would have been better to have waited until September and launched value than to have jumped the gun now and provided foder.

No, this is where you are wrong. The "non-FOX RSN" feeds have extra value to D*. The RSNs run duplicative programing and feed Fox Baseball games which require subs to have EI. This could be done with a handful of dedicated premium sports package feeds that run as PPV sidecars (just like they do all the other sports premium packages - ST, MLS, NBA) vs. RSN.

It would have been better to have waited until September and launched value than to have jumped the gun now and provided foder.

Bump the HD count? DISH is counting the 23 "game only" RSN's and you can't get the games with DISH since they don't have MLBEI.

If anyone can count the RSN's it's Directv.

I too would prefer Travel over Green. But now that it is in HD it is the only channel I have watched so far this morning. I didn't think I would be watching it much at all, but I do like the show Renovation Nation.

They should change the name of Planet Green to the Living With Ed channel. :D

Thought you had BOTH D* & E*? Guess I confused you with someone else. Don't care WHO is "leading" in the race. Whenever a new service is added, it's time for praise not complaints. With the cost of gas, more of us are choosing to stay at home and enjoy our HD channels, whatever they my be. GOD BLESS HD!:):):)

They do have value to those in the particular markets. Why should FSN Primeticket be full time while CSNBA not be full time?

Again, you are equating your value to that of Direct and other subs. There are more to the FSNs than the Best Damn Sports show. In fact most of the programming is local and many people like to watch what is on the other FSNs. Local collegiate and pro games, local sports reports, local pre and post game shows, local classic games, local player profile specials such as Before the Bigs, local youth sports, ex.

Local HDs

Just came home for a quick check. I have the new HDs like Planet Green, but NO LOCAL HDs....I live in Chattanooga. What gives? Not a one showing up. I am new to this discussion, but did I miss something?

Thanks

Good for the sports fans maybe, but as far as I can see, this is probably one of the least interesting new HD rollouts, from E* or D*.

Not that I am against it.

Between E* trolls and people that did not figure out how to read until today(missed the last 4 billion posts on what D* was adding today and that the PPV's are temporary) this place is ridiculous.

BTW Mike, Ill answer even though you are an E* sub:

Having 18 PPV channels is not "wasting bandwidth" because they dont have anything else to add right now. When they decide to sign other channels, the PPV's will come down.

Theres 4 billion and 1 for the group that's still failing reading comprehension.

Good for the sports fans maybe, but as far as I can see, this is probably one of the least interesting new HD rollouts, from E* or D*.

Not that I am against it.
Be prepared for more not so interesting roll outs. From what I heard each roll out will be a couple of channels at a time for the next few weeks to months.

Does it really matter if they add 20 at one time or if they add 20 over the course of a couple of months? In one way it does. It reduces the the number of problems that may occur (such as those with the big launch last year) and when a problem does occur, there are fewer variable to work with.

Between E* trolls and people that did not figure out how to read until today(missed the last 4 billion posts on what D* was adding today and that the PPV's are temporary) this place is ridiculous.

BTW Mike, Ill answer even though you are an E* sub:

Having 18 PPV channels is not "wasting bandwidth" because they dont have anything else to add right now. When they decide to sign other channels, the PPV's will come down.

Theres 4 billion and 1 for the group that's still failing reading comprehension.
No doubt.

They have made it clear from the beginning that they are taking a more conservative approach. Heck, they even launch 4 channels a month earlier than they originally planned and people are still crying.

They added the D10 channels slowly. I still dont see the big deal, they are being proactive, what else do people want?

I wonder what everyone would bitch about if D* adding everything today??

Hmm, the new slogan would be "why hasnt D* forced channel X to become HD so they can air it in HD".

No doubt.

They have made it clear from the beginning that they are taking a more conservative approach. Heck, they even launch 4 channels a month earlier than they originally planned and people are still crying.

Thats what I dont get either. We were told Sept for this Sat, its not even the end of Aug and we've got all channels in mpeg 4, 4 new ads and local coming. Woe is us.

... because they dont have anything else to add right now. ...

Stop lecturing others unless you know what you are talking about, there are plenty of new HDs to add, all the HBO/Starz suits of HDs, the Travel Channel HD, just to name a few (about 9 of them already I think). There are certainly others.

Be prepared for more not so interesting roll outs. From what I heard each roll out will be a couple of channels at a time for the next few weeks to months.

Does it really matter if they add 20 at one time or if they add 20 over the course of a couple of months? In one way it does. It reduces the the number of problems that may occur (such as those with the big launch last year) and when a problem does occur, there are fewer variable to work with.

I do not recall any reported problems when they added a lot of more interesting new HDs at the same time in the past. Don't try to find excuses for them.

Stop lecturing others unless you know what you are talking about, there are plenty of new HDs to add, all the HBO/Starz suits of HDs, the Travel Channel HD, just to name a few (about 9 of them already I think). There are certainly others.

Stop being high and mighty. They DONT have anything to ad now because the deals are not in place. This comes from a person thats more in the know than you.

Isnt it time for you to do vision test #4?

I do not recall any reported problems when they added a lot of more interesting new HDs at the same time in the past. Don't try to find excuses for them.
Excuse for what? Please tell us what excuse needs to be made? Please tell us what was not done that was supposed to be done?

If you don't recall all of the blank pictures, macroblocking, lip sync issues, ex after last years big roll out, then you have a short memory.

wow. i still don't understand why so many people are so upset over this. D did exactly what they said their were gonna do. we need to chill and relax. we will get the channels and we will continue to be the leaders in HD baby.

boxing.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)