Status
Please reply by conversation.

shugo77

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 9, 2005
Heart of Dixie
I just called DirecTV to inquire about getting the new HD DVR. I started by calling the regular Customer Service #, the CSR told me I could send them my HDTIVO and pay $99 for the HDDVR, I told her I wanted to keep my HDTIVO, she said then I would have to pay the full $299. I then asked for the retention dept and she transferred me.

The retention rep asked me a few questions, I was polite, she was polite and said I could get the HDDVR for $199 plus a $19 activation fee and keep my HDTIVO. I said no thanks, I am going to think about and weigh my options... she then went into her sales pitch, trying to convince to go ahead with the new receiver, and this is where I almost fell on the floor laughing...... She actually told me that DirecTV will have 150 HD channels by the end of February and it will only cost me $10.99 a month instead of the $9.99 a month I pay now. I thought about calling her out on it but just said no thanks, she offered me a pin number to call her back and I declined, if I do call back I hope I'll get someone with a clue.

I just called DirecTV to inquire about getting the new HD DVR. I started by calling the regular Customer Service #, the CSR told me I could send them my HDTIVO and pay $99 for the HDDVR, I told her I wanted to keep my HDTIVO, she said then I would have to pay the full $299. I then asked for the retention dept and she transferred me.

The retention rep asked me a few questions, I was polite, she was polite and said I could get the HDDVR for $199 plus a $19 activation fee and keep my HDTIVO. I said no thanks, I am going to think about and weigh my options... she then went into her sales pitch, trying to convince to go ahead with the new receiver, and this is where I almost fell on the floor laughing...... She actually told me that DirecTV will have 150 HD channels by the end of February and it will only cost me $10.99 a month instead of the $9.99 a month I pay now. I thought about calling her out on it but just said no thanks, she offered me a pin number to call her back and I declined, if I do call back I hope I'll get someone with a clue.
Your story is similar to mine except for the ending. I ended up getting it for free.

mechman

Your story is similar to mine except for the ending. I ended up getting it for free.

mechman

Well maybe I didn't get the free HDDVR beacuse unlike you, I am getting 150 hd channels, maybe she figured I would be getting to many freebies...LOL

Seriously though, what do you think you said that triggered the free HDDVR?

Well maybe I didn't get the free HDDVR beacuse unlike you, I am getting 150 hd channels, maybe she figured I would be getting to many freebies...LOL

Seriously though, what do you think you said that triggered the free HDDVR?

I just kept at it. I told them people were getting them for free from them and that's what I wanted. When they wouldn't cave I asked for customer retention. The first lady I talked to there was kind of rude and wouldn't budge so I hung up and called again. Did it all over again, but this time the customer retention rep was a super nice guy. I told him folks on the internet forums were getting it for free and that's what I want. He said "OK". Probably took about 45 minutes of my time.

Also, the first 2 calls I made went to their Phillipines call call center. I just hung up on those guys, they could barely speak english.

And to be honest, I just wanted them to give me programming credits of some sort to offset some the price of one at Best Buy. They didn't want anything to do with that. That's when I figured if your going to send a 'tech' to my house, I might as well get it for free.

BTW, they did the charge me $127 and then credit me $127.

mechman

Just keep rolling the dice...you will finally get one to give you one free if they think you are going to leave.

How much you pay for a new unit, depends on how good your customer rating is with them. Things like, do you pay your bills on time, how much programing do you have, how long have you been a subscriber. They rate all that on a hearts program. The more hearts you have the better deals you get from them. Kind of like the credit rating points system.

I know people with good ratings that have gotten them free, first time from the CSR, others have called back many times and they won't budge, because they don't have many HEARTS. But each time you call is recorded, so they know when you keep calling back trying to get deals. Others have called back a few times and gotten a deal after a while. Guess they see you are a borderline for the next hearts level, and give in, or maybe they are just sick of you calling and give in.

Last edited:
I thought a while ago, there were a some posts that the DTV "retention" department was no more??

I have been a D* customer for about 10 years and have automatic bill pay option. When I call they always greet me as one of their "most vauled customers".

That said, I have finally decided that I want more HD content NOW. I don't want to wait until mid-year or YE or 2008...so I have taken advantage of the free 622 HD DVR that E* has and my installation is scheduled for Saturday.

I am tempted to call D* and tell them just to see what they will offer me, but I am already getting a free HD DVR with E*. Not sure what they could give me to make me stay.

I have been a D* customer for about 10 years and have automatic bill pay option. When I call they always greet me as one of their "most vauled customers".

That said, I have finally decided that I want more HD content NOW. I don't want to wait until mid-year or YE or 2008...so I have taken advantage of the free 622 HD DVR that E* has and my installation is scheduled for Saturday.

I am tempted to call D* and tell them just to see what they will offer me, but I am already getting a free HD DVR with E*. Not sure what they could give me to make me stay.

I would switch to Dish, the only thing stopping me is my locals. I can only get locals OTA and with the VIP 622 you cannot get program guide data for OTA local channels, this is a deal breaker for me.

I would switch to Dish, the only thing stopping me is my locals. I can only get locals OTA and with the VIP 622 you cannot get program guide data for OTA local channels, this is a deal breaker for me.
Is this true??? Two of my locals, WRAL (CBS 5) and WRAZ (FOX 50) in the Raleigh area are only available via OTA. Not having them listed in the guide would be an issue for me too.

Not true, I have been told.

It is true, I suggest you research it.

The only way you can get your local program guide data on the VIP 622 is if you subscribe to locals via Dish, where I live I can only get locals via OTA, locals are not offered at all by Dish or DirecTV where I live. So if I were to order the VIP 622, I would not get local program guide data. With DirecTV I can get local program guide data on both of their HDDVR's

If you can get your locals through Dish, you can get the local program guide data.

I hope this helps explain it better.

Go back and read where you posted in the Dish forum, someone else posted a comment backing up what I just said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)