DirecTV Revolution Report

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is this MultiRoom Viewing that DirecTV is working on pretty much the same thing that at&t U-Verses offers?

I believe so, except it is will be limited (at least at this point) to to HXX & HRXX models. But they will be able to share recordings with each other.

They Have a Spare!!!

Another thing that they are forgetting, or they think we forgot, is that they have a spare ready to go now!!! When they launched D11 they also purchase another one for a spare. If they will not have D12 ready till the 2010, they should go ahead a launch the spare, and let D12 become their spare. That would put more channels up fast!!!!

D12 was the ground spare they had in reserve in case something happened to D10 or D11, but now it will be used. Once D12 goes up they won't have a spare that we know about.

D12 was the ground spare they had in reserve in case something happened to D10 or D11, but now it will be used. Once D12 goes up they won't have a spare that we know about.

Hopefully they have another one in the making.

Not so!

D12 was suppose to go up Jan. 09, then it was delayed till Sept. 09, and now looks like Jan. 2010. Something is up!

Are they trying to move away from the CAT5 based MRV?

Also still not a single word of the new TiVo?

1- yeah that's what it looks like. the way D wants to do the mrv sounds even better than what we're doing now.

2- not a word on tivo because as you probably know there was a statement released mentioning to expect this Dtivo in 2010. no reason to release any other statements regarding this issue for now :)

D12 was suppose to go up Jan. 09, then it was delayed till Sept. 09, and now looks like Jan. 2010. Something is up!

D12 hasn't been delayed again. It's still launching in Sept 2009. Scott said the go live date is early Jan but that isn't the launch date. It takes a few months to get a satellite into proper orbit plus do testing. So in order to go live in Jan you have to be launched a few months prior.

Is this MultiRoom Viewing that DirecTV is working on pretty much the same thing that at&t U-Verses offers?
The idea is similar, but without seeing what the "server" can do, it is impossible to tell. The existing DIRECTV MRV model is limited to one HD(-like) DVR serving previously recorded content to exactly one other HD(-like) receiver. Not enough of how MoCA networking is utilized is known to know how many sessions might be able to occur simultaneously.

If you are asking if DIRECTV is playing catch-up on MRV, the answer is yes.

There comes at time when advancements in technology need to slow down to let the population catch up and come aboard. I have a feeling that the next couple of years will be such a time.

Think about it. Most people still get their TV OTA. Those that have cable or satellite, the majority have a basic, non HD, non premium account. Few people take advantage of DirecTV2PC, mediashare, MRV, ex. It eventually does not become cost effective for a company to continue to expend technologically when they do not have enough customers to take advantage of the new technology.
I agree. Technology in electronics has outraced the consumers ability to use it. I cite the new Dish 922 receiver as an example.
For techies, it's a snap. But this box is unmarketable to people over the age of 40. Imagine trying to get a 55 or 60 year old customer to understand a touchscreen remote.

I think both satcos should perfect what they have now.
By that I mean, make them simpler to use and understand. Fewer buttons on the remote, and clear plain English instructions.

The idea is similar, but without seeing what the "server" can do, it is impossible to tell. The existing DIRECTV MRV model is limited to one HD(-like) DVR serving previously recorded content to exactly one other HD(-like) receiver. Not enough of how MoCA networking is utilized is known to know how many sessions might be able to occur simultaneously.

If you are asking if DIRECTV is playing catch-up on MRV, the answer is yes.
Not true at all. A client receiver can see several servers. This video shows the poster viewer more than one DVR on his DVR.

DBSTalk.Com

He's correct in that a server can stream to only one other device at a time, be it an H2X, HR2X or DirecTV2PC, if you try to start a 2nd stream you get a message saying you can't.

Up in Sept, active in Jan. Something is going up, but nothing is up. :D

From what I have heard it is going to the 103 slot and will work in combination with what is there today, and thus our current dish setups.

I have nothing to confirm this, but everytime I've asked that question, the answer was no new hardware necessary, they'll work in combination with what's already there.

He's correct in that a server can stream to only one other device at a time, be it an H2X, HR2X or DirecTV2PC, if you try to start a 2nd stream you get a message saying you can't.
"At a time", yes. But he did not say that in his statement.

Up in Sept, active in Jan. Something is going up, but nothing is up. :D

From what I have heard it is going to the 103 slot and will work in combination with what is there today, and thus our current dish setups.

I have nothing to confirm this, but everytime I've asked that question, the answer was no new hardware necessary, they'll work in combination with what's already there.

In the annual report that came out this week, and an FCC filing that someone found, they both say D12 is going to 101, now the question is how will be get Ka on 101 with the current hardware if that's accurate?

In the annual report that came out this week, and an FCC filing that someone found, they both say D12 is going to 101, now the question is how will be get Ka on 101 with the current hardware if that's accurate?

If that is the case the people I talked to were dead wrong.

Anything going to 101 would need a new LNB. That is what I speculated a year+ ago when I was told no, it won't need new hardware.

Guess time will tell. I personally don't see how it could go on 103 or 99, but I don't get into the bandwith details.

If that is the case the people I talked to were dead wrong.

Anything going to 101 would need a new LNB. That is what I speculated a year+ ago when I was told no, it won't need new hardware.

Guess time will tell. I personally don't see how it could go on 103 or 99, but I don't get into the bandwith details.

All I know is what is says on page 22 in http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...C-A3B9-982E55CC1A51/DirecTV_Group_2008_AR.pdf .

Some folks thought it was a type but since it says 101 in the FCC document and this report maybe not. But it's also been pointed out that the FCC usually doesn't require a long lead time if they wanted to change it from 101 to 99 or 103. Maybe they said 101 to get Dish/Echostar to waste their time trying to figure out what DirecTV was up to?

Is it not possible that there is Ka capability on the slimline LNBs at 101? I mean the 99/101/103 LNB is on the same feed, so it doesn't seem like it'd be that big of a stretch. Is it absolutely confirmed that it doesn't have the ability to get Ka at 101? If they hold Ka licenses at 101 it would be a colossal mistake to not have equipment out there if they knew it was coming. I find it hard to believe DirecTV would be that dumb.

Well Rad, that is pretty darn clear. I'm sure they wouldn't screw up the annual report:

Satellite To Be Launched. DIRECTV 12 is planned for launch in the second half of 2009.
DIRECTV 12 will operate from our 101 WL orbital location after successful completion of in-orbit
testing. DIRECTV 12 will provide us with increased capability for local and national HD channels, as
well as capacity for new interactive and enhanced services once it becomes operational.

I just now hope the claims of not needing new hardware are right, but we'll see.

Could Joseph be right, could the slimline LNB have 101 Ka capability and they just never mentioned it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)