DIRECTV rolls-out 4 more major DMAs with MPEG-4 LIL HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hogarth said:
Do what you're actually supposed to do -- wait for them to contact you.

I wish I could do that but D* cant seem to understand the concept that my contact number is different then the number thats my receivers are hooked to. We have one phone line that our alarm and D* receivers are hooked to. Then we have vonage. I called and gave them the vonage number as my contact number but they do not seem to be able to grasp that. SO when ever I have an install or require a call back they always call my alarm # no matter how I explain it to them.

soupamoto said:
OK, I went to Value Electronics and ordered the H20 with the understanding there will be a $200 rebate when I activate the unit (in a few days I guess). $200 price minus $200 rebate sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks for all the help!

soupamoto

It's a $200 mail in rebate.

After reading the last couple threads today I called D*. The CSR told me that htdv locals are now available in chicago. But of course her order screen has not been updated (whatever that means) so a supervisor will have to call me back in order for me to place the order. I was told no special deals, 99.99 for the swapping of my hdtv receiver for the H-20 receiver and 5 LNB dish + 14.95 for installation. Apparently the 100.00 a month I spend on D* isn't good enough for a free upgrade. TYPICAL!!!!!!!!

Fightingmad said:
After reading the last couple threads today I called D*. The CSR told me that htdv locals are now available in chicago. But of course her order screen has not been updated (whatever that means) so a supervisor will have to call me back in order for me to place the order. I was told no special deals, 99.99 for the swapping of my hdtv receiver for the H-20 receiver and 5 LNB dish + 14.95 for installation. Apparently the 100.00 a month I spend on D* isn't good enough for a free upgrade. TYPICAL!!!!!!!!

Call retention after you see the charge on your bill.
You won't get them to waive the $99 -- but if you don't already have a lot of programming credits, you might be able to weasel, say, $10 a month in programming credits for the next 10 months.

H

Fightingmad said:

So your going to get a new dish and a swap out for a hundred bucks ?
And the 15 dollars is that for the dish install also ?
If it is that sounds like a pretty good offer.
But I also see your point of view.

Woo Hoo! Denver SHould be lit by friggin January at this pace! Looks like I'll get to move back! Thanks for the info Robert! Not overly impressed with the R15 you sent, but your not a software engineer ... oh how I love the TiVo. Thanks for the heads up. Please PM if you have time and if you know when Denver will be hot ... we are like #16 or #18 on the list.

Fightingmad said:

Did I miss understand something? I thought the swap out was free for existing customers, with maybe a small installation fee. If that is true, a current customer spending around $100.00 a month in services has to pay $113.94 for the swap out, and if they go and buy a new H-20 receiver, they can get it for free with the rebate. Something doesn't sound right here.

lou_do said:
Did I miss understand something? I thought the swap out was free for existing customers, with maybe a small installation fee. If that is true, a current customer spending around $100.00 a month in services has to pay $113.94 for the swap out, and if they go and buy a new H-20 receiver, they can get it for free with the rebate. Something doesn't sound right here.

And, if they want this much for the H20, how much are they going to want for the new DVR? :confused:

Robert,

I know this has been covered in previous postings but I just want to know your honest opinion and anybody elses for that matter.

I have the Hughes 7000 DVR and the RCA DTC210 right now but I want to (and so does the wife) switch to the HD-DVR. Would I be better off switching for the HD receiver and purchasing the HD-DVR when it comes out next year, waiting till the the new HD-DVR in the 1st Q comes out and do the switch then, or waiting for the home media option with the DVR in a few months for the switch? Which one to you think would give me the best options/deals? :confused:

How long is the $200 rebate for, and is it based on what DMA you are in?

And along the lines that Rick4464 is asking, will the rebate apply to the DVR or HMC if the rebate lasts into Q1 06?

I'm wondering if I should wait to sign up with D* until the DVR is available, or plunge into it now that Atlanta HD locals are lit up.

Hd Broadcast Waivers

First of all, I am NOT an HDTV Techi, as many on this forum appear to be, and have never posted a message on a forum such as this before. Briefly, we are simply an average family, who purchased a HDTV (50 inch Samsung) from BestBuy, then purchased an HD Receiver from DIRECTV, on the assumption (as both BestBuy and DIRECTV, as well as the major TV Networks vigorously falsely and deceptively advertised and promoted) that we could then receive and view the network HD broadcasts as part of our regular programming every evening. Boy, were we mislead and conned!

We live at the base of the Organ Mountains to the southeast of Las Cruces, New Mexico. We have no cable and can not receive any stations over the air in this remote location (even with the HD Antenna that I purchased from DIRECTV). Initially, DIRECTV indicated that all three local network affiliates had denied my request for an HD Waiver (Fox granted it immediately). After that notification, I have personally written dozens of e-mails, and had some discussions over the past few months, with DIRECTV, the local network affiliates, and even the FCC regarding this matter, in an attempt to obtain the HD Broadcast Waivers from the local affiliates, and to receive the NYC network broadcasts, which are available to us from DIRECTV if the proper Waivers are obtained from the local affiliates (although DIRECTV claims that they can only provide us with the LA network broadcasts, which are broadcast far too late for us to watch before we go to sleep). What an incredible bureaucracy!

In all fairness, the local El Paso ABC affiliate (KVIA) has been very helpful and even immediately sent their Engineers out to conduct a Signal Test and verified the obvious; that we can not receive any signals except for the Las Cruces Telemundo station. They are continuing to evaluate my request for a Waiver. And the local El Paso NBC affiliate (KTSM) has already granted me the Waiver, although DIRECTV insists that the Albuquerque NBC affiliate (KOB) is the local DMA affiliate for HD Waivers; and they have also indicated that they will also grant the Waiver. However, much to my dissatisfaction, the local CBS affiliate (KDBC) has totally ignored me and has not even responded to my many requests. And DIRECTV has been absolutely no help, and simply states that they are restricted by various governmental regulations on this matter.

And finally, my conversations with Ms. Eloise Gore of the FCC Media Bureau (Eloise.Gore@fcc.gov), was a total waste of time. She stated that she nor the FCC could provide no assistance in this matter. She, in essence, confirmed and did not deny, that the FCC does NOT represent the public interests in these matters, and only supports the television networks and satellite providers. She even stated that DIRECTV can arbitrarily discriminate and can choose who they provide what programming to!

So, despite the maze of government regulations and bureaucracy involved in this matter (quite frankly, I am unable to even begin to decipher the multitude of regulations that are available on the Internet, despite my Engineering degree and thirty years of professional work experience), my request is really quite simple ... I just want to watch the prime time network programs every night in HD on my very expensive HDTV system (which in our case is the NYC network broadcasts)... that is all! Technically, with the proper approvals, it is available to me, but I am being denied access. Who can make this happen?

BobnearLC said:
Briefly, we are simply an average family, who purchased a HDTV (50 inch Samsung) from BestBuy, then purchased an HD Receiver from DIRECTV, on the assumption (as both BestBuy and DIRECTV, as well as the major TV Networks vigorously falsely and deceptively advertised and promoted) that we could then receive and view the network HD broadcasts as part of our regular programming every evening. Boy, were we mislead and conned!

I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember seeing any DirecTV ad or literature, saying you could get network HD, broadcasts. If you go to DirecTV's web site at: http://directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_localchannels.jsp , it says you can get them with an OTA antenna, nothing about any Network HD Broadcasts via satellite.

Also on http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html , they talk about ABC Network HD, and it lists the markets where you can get ABC HD, and I don't see your market, EL Paso, there.
NBC markets are listed on: http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html
CBS markets on: http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html
Fox is at: http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html

And the local El Paso NBC affiliate (KTSM) has already granted me the Waiver, although DIRECTV insists that the Albuquerque NBC affiliate (KOB) is the local DMA affiliate for HD Waivers; and they have also indicated that they will also grant the Waiver.

If you go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/LocalChannels.jsp?init=true , and put in your zip code, you can see the SD locals for your zip code. It shows KTSM Channel 9 as the local NBC affiliate for you.

lou_do said:
I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember seeing any DirecTV ad or literature, saying you could get network HD, broadcasts. If you go to DirecTV's web site at: http://directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_localchannels.jsp , it says you can get them with an OTA antenna, nothing about any Network HD Broadcasts via satellite.

Also on http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html , they talk about ABC Network HD, and it lists the markets where you can get ABC HD, and I don't see your market, EL Paso, there.
NBC markets are listed on: http://www.directv.com/see/landing/abc_hd.html
CBS markets on: http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html
Fox is at: http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html

If you go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/LocalChannels.jsp?init=true , and put in your zip code, you can see the SD locals for your zip code. It shows KTSM Channel 9 as the local NBC affiliate for you.

It is very confusing about who can get what and who can't. Even if your market is listed, you can be refused. For my area they show FOX as available but you can't get it. But the key statement from the whole page is " NBC HDTV programming may be available in select markets to some DIRECTV customers who have HD equipment and a TOTAL CHOICE®". That word some, will get you every time.

yukon said:
Anyone can tell me when Macon, Ga will roll out HD on DirecTV??

thanks

Not for a long, long time. It is the #120 DMA with 229,870 tv households representing 0.209% of the American viewing audience. Currenctly DirecTV has announced plans to launch in 36 markets by next year. There is a thread over at AVS for Macon that might be able to help you consider your HD options.

Go into any BestBuy or similar retail outlet selling HDTV's and DIRECTV. I assure you that the all of the HDTV's are tuned to HD broadcasts and that the CSR will assure you that you can receive HD network programming by some method... no matter where you are located.

Also, if you watched GMA when they first went HD, on numerous occasions during the broadcast, they indicated that all you needed was an HDTV and you could see their broadcast in HD (they did not even mention that you needed an HD receiver, let alone access to an affiliate that broadcasts in HD).

Remember, that the average consumer (myself included) is not an HD Techi. It is obvious that the sellers of HDTV's, the providers of HD service, and the television networks are at a minimum engaged in misleading tactics, if not false advertising and fraudulent misrepresentation.

So if KTSM Channel 9 out of El Paso is listed as the local NBC affiliate and is the station that I am receiving, why did DIRECTV send the HD Broadcast Waiver request to KOB Channel 4 out of Albuquerque (DIRECTV told me that there is a different DMA for HD versus DT)?

BobnearLC said:
So if KTSM Channel 9 out of El Paso is listed as the local NBC affiliate and is the station that I am receiving, why did DIRECTV send the HD Broadcast Waiver request to KOB Channel 4 out of Albuquerque (DIRECTV told me that there is a different DMA for HD versus DT)?
I thought all of NM except for Hobbs area was supposed to be in the Alb. Dma... but when entering the 88001 zipcode the Direct site does show the El Paso channels...

Status
Please reply by conversation.