DIRECTV rolls-out 4 more major DMAs with MPEG-4 LIL HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
davidrumm said:
I believe that he was talking only for a few transponders to cover national hd channels, all the rest can still be spot beams for locals to more than the first 12 cities. It doesn't mean only 1 big spot beam from sw1 and sw 2 is all they can have up there.

I asked since in thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=36955&page=2&highlight=spotbeam he said:

What I was saying is that these new satellites will be used as two big spotbeam satellites for the entire USA. Because of this both Spaceway 1 & 2 must be up to service the entire country. I also have been told that in case of a delay that Tampa was put in the list instead of Seattle and do you wonder why. Because besides the LA market which is up in MPEG2 today only Seattle is on the west coast. Does anyone wonder why all 10 markets are on the eastern half the the USA. Once Spaceway 2 is up they can offer HD LIL channels to the western half of the USA and offer national HD channels via spotbeams. Now I was saying that D* 10 & 11 work the same way in that when one goes up they can only offer half the USA with HD LIL channels until the second one goes up. So they will reserve space on Spaceway 1 & 2 for national HD channels but if that does fill up they can't offer new national HD channels until both D* 10 and 11 have gone up. Its not good business practice to offer national HD channels that only the Eastern USA can get for a good 6 months.

charper1 said:
That is more of what I am waiting for myself, and like you (I think) have mentioned before, that once the 2 SW birds are up and running, I will begin to hold them to adding at least 3 (hopefully 4+) national HD channels to appease those of us outside the top 12 DMA's.

I got another call from D* last night, wanting me back. They offered all this "blah-blah". I asked the guy do I get a AT9 dish & new MPEG4 HD-DVR.....he went quiet. I told him I have no use for an H20 (he didn't know what that was). Then I informed him I'm #53 on the MPEG4 update list & might be upgraded around the end of 2006 or 1st of 2007. I asked him to call me back then............I did hear someone in the background "I need to check on this MPEG4".............

What I find real sad......D*'s Marking Dept......they have no clue....again, I think the whole upper management should be flushed......big time! Just my $0.02 though.

charper1, we are on the same page..........when I asked the D* rep, why should I pay ya'll to watch my locals in HD that is downrezed (sp?), when I get full resolution HD by antenna for all my locals for free.....he went quiet again.

Barney

Sorry,
Seems I became a "thread" killer.
Carry-on, please.
To be honest for me, since I have dropped D* (June 2005) & I only have OTA HD feeds from all my locals.......not missing much. Also, since MNF will be only on ESPN this next season........I'll do without MNF.
Since Austin Texas is way down the list for the MPEG4 upgrade.....I'll keep waiting.
From what I'm reading here, I do hope a "top ex" from D* is reading what is being posted.
D* isn't offering very much & not for folks that can get their HD OTA.
The other issue is a 2 year contract..........no thank you (at this time)...I'll wait & see how their HD-DVR turns out............another couple years???? Maybe my local SBC/ATT (whatever they may start to call themselves) will offer an option (sorry, will never try Time Warner Cable again).
So, for me, as I see it............MAYBE a YEAR or TWO..........I'll sit back & watch........watch my HD-OTA for free.

Barney

timmac said:
Barney, I don't know where you are in Texas, but if I was in Texas, I'd be looking into FIOS. Doesn't hurt to look.
Since he mentioned Austin in his post that's ATT/SBC territory which will have LightSpeed which isn't even close to Verizon FIOS plans.

Hi! Live in the Hartford area - anyone think I might be able to see an HD locals before this summer? My commitment with D* is over next week and i am exploring options...

I just had d* installed and they guy was trying to install an H20 allready, and my dma isent even lit up yet! btw so far he tried 2 boxes and couldent get them to work. swears up and down that i have a splitter somewhere, then why on his signal meter was he getting readings, and the D11 is able to work just fine on that same "split" line?

RIRWIN1983 said:
I just had d* installed and they guy was trying to install an H20 allready, and my dma isent even lit up yet! btw so far he tried 2 boxes and couldent get them to work. swears up and down that i have a splitter somewhere, then why on his signal meter was he getting readings, and the D11 is able to work just fine on that same "split" line?
The signal readings on the H20 are showing lower then other boxes, just the way the box is.

rad said:
The signal readings on the H20 are showing lower then other boxes, just the way the box is.

no it failed seeing all three sats. im just wondering if that adaptor that you intall inline with it is only suposed to be used w/the at9 dish. bc thats the only dish they mention it with, of course i wasent expecting an H20 to be installed (not that im complaning, just want this to work!)

RIRWIN1983 said:
no it failed seeing all three sats. im just wondering if that adaptor that you intall inline with it is only suposed to be used w/the at9 dish. bc thats the only dish they mention it with, of course i wasent expecting an H20 to be installed (not that im complaning, just want this to work!)

Before I got the AT-9 I used the H20 with a Phase III dish, with no adapter, and no problems.

hdtvtechno said:
And i have the AT9 dish and the H20 installed
with no adapter installed
and have no problems
but when i install the adapter i lose channels

should i remove the Ku adaptor then?

I live in Los Angeles....rcv locals via the sat (OTA not possible)...
looking to get an H20 rcvr, will I need to upgrade from my 3 LNB dish
to the 5 LNB dish?

hdtvtechno said:
no because your in a DNS market which are
on KU band sats but beware they could
discontinue the KU mpeg2 feeds in the near
distance future

So I should have no problem with an H20 rcvr connected to
a three LNB antenna?

I do appreciate the info.

In case that was directed at me, my apologies.
Thanks to the rest of you for the info, it's a
big help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts