DirecTV Sale To Baby Bell Rumor Heats Up (Again)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
DirecTV Sale To Baby Bell Rumor Heats Up (Again) - AT&T, Verizon have recently expressed interest - dslreports.com

AT&T, Verizon have recently expressed interest

For years the rumor has floated out there that either Verizon or AT&T would buy DirecTV in order to have direct control of the company's satellite TV operations. Sometimes these rumors are based in conjecture, but more often than not they're based on nothing whatsoever. With DirecTV prepared to get a new CEO (their last CEO just departed to be Rupert Murdoch's right-hand man at News Corp.), the rumors are apparently bubbling up once again. According to Reuters, representatives from both AT&T and Verizon have approached Liberty Media over the last few years about a sale, and the outlet cites sources who believe new CEO Michael White is little more than a "babysitter" until this endlessly-rumored deal can be accomplished.

DirecTV Sale To Baby Bell Rumor Heats Up (Again) - AT&T, Verizon have recently expressed interest - dslreports.com

AT&T, Verizon have recently expressed interest

For years the rumor has floated out there that either Verizon or AT&T would buy DirecTV in order to have direct control of the company's satellite TV operations. Sometimes these rumors are based in conjecture, but more often than not they're based on nothing whatsoever. With DirecTV prepared to get a new CEO (their last CEO just departed to be Rupert Murdoch's right-hand man at News Corp.), the rumors are apparently bubbling up once again. According to Reuters, representatives from both AT&T and Verizon have approached Liberty Media over the last few years about a sale, and the outlet cites sources who believe new CEO Michael White is little more than a "babysitter" until this endlessly-rumored deal can be accomplished.

If that was the case , they would just had then acting CEO Larry hunter named perm CEO of the company as he can babbysit it will ATT/VZN buys us. LOL DTV not going anywhere.

too bad because current ownership stinks.

While I agree with you, I can't imagine AT&T or Verizon would be much better. I can't speak for V, but it seems to me, that ATT tends to do what ever is the cheapest way, rather than what is best for future development(see Uverse) I am not an expert but I think D* would be better off without ATT or V ownership, it would almost be like a step backwards. Just my opinion.

If one of the two were to get DirecTV I would hope that it would be Verizon who gets in. My feeling is AT&T would run it into the ground.

This buisness is one where a company buys low and sells high, and Liberty Media is a company that is made up of Experts who does just that. Even if your not "For sale" you will always entertain any offer made.

Verizon seems to be a company that actually invest in things at the proper time while AT&T always seems to be behind the curve(see their 3G Deployment. Yeah, AT&T has the Iphone but it's on a cell network that is pretty slow till they get their 3G more established across the nation.

I for one hope Verizon buys Directv.

They had John Malone on Street Signs today in a rare interview, they asked him the "is DirecTv for sale" question, he flat out denied it was for sale, but as a part owner of the new company (24%), they have to consider any offer, but again, he said it is not for sale. :)

While I agree with you, I can't imagine AT&T or Verizon would be much better. I can't speak for V, but it seems to me, that ATT tends to do what ever is the cheapest way, rather than what is best for future development(see Uverse) I am not an expert but I think D* would be better off without ATT or V ownership, it would almost be like a step backwards. Just my opinion.

You think that U Verse is cheap ?

I'm sure that they have spent plenty on getting it up and running ... still not up in all areas and I doubt that it ever will be in ALL areas (at&t areas) that is the prime reason for getting into the sat side of things.

Yes, they tend to see what the others are doing, wait to see if it works and then try something and that puts them behind, not sure why they are that way, but thats the way it seems to be happening in the last 10 years or so.

As for the praise of Verizon, isn't this the same company that is currently throwing away MY locals landline ?
They cannot even offer a decent HSI speed to me, I have 3mg and thats all the faster they offer EVER.

I moved to where I currently am from a AT&T area where I had 3 mg service, that was all they had at the time 8 years ago.
I am in Verizon area now and it too 2-3 YEARS JUST TO GET DSL in my area.
I am in an CITY, not in the sticks.

2 YEARS ago I was told by the V reps that we would have 7 mg soon.
I'm still at 3 mg.
At least in the AT&T area I could have up to 18 mg at this point.

Jimbo, I would guess you have never experienced FIOS eh?

NOPE, I live in Verizon area and they won't BOTHER butting it in.
They are leaving the area as far as I know at least dial tone wise.

I wonder, they say they don't want our business for landlines and will bail on us once they are sold to another company that charges close to twice for the same internet I currently get.
They only offer a whoppping 3 mg here and charge $34 for it, it was $29 last year.
and the company they are selling to offer the same for $49.99, thats ridiculous ...

It will be MANY years before they even THINK about getting fios here.
Also, FIOS won't show me my Steelers every week.

NOPE, I live in Verizon area and they won't BOTHER butting it in.
They are leaving the area as far as I know at least dial tone wise.

I wonder, they say they don't want our business for landlines and will bail on us once they are sold to another company that charges close to twice for the same INTERNET I currently get.
They only offer a whoppping 3 mg here and charge $34 for it, it was $29 last year.
and the company they are selling to offer the same for $49.99, thats ridiculous ...

It will be MANY years before they even THINK about getting fios here.
Also, FIOS won't show me my Steelers every week.

That sucks. It's actually a really good service. TV picture was excellent and the INTERNET speeds were great(i had 16meg down and I think 8 up)......anyway, it was very reliable and I loved it, but here in NH they(Verizon) sold their service to a company out of NC called Fair Point and they totally suck.......big time. Higher rates and lower quality and service.

That's why i chose DTV and Comcast(for internet), but FIOS is geared more for a city from what I am seeing or at least aiming at them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)