DirecTV Sign Up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jillian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Georgia USA
I could not tolerate being without paid TV any longer , so I signed back on with DirecTV . The Roku / Blu-Ray just don't get it for me. I need live programming . So much for Netflix, Hulu Plus , Amazon These are all well and good , but not at the expense of the live programming . I watch more live programs than anything else . They are a definite must have. So I tried the streaming , like I have wanted to do for sometime and cut the cord to paid TV , but found that it isn't for me at this time.

Thank you. They are coming Monday between 8-12 . I am not getting the Genie. Just the HD Receiver. One room only. I live alone and don't care to watch tv except in my living room. Never wanted one in the bedroom. I also don't care about recording programs as I have never seen anything I cared enough about to record. If I miss something , it will come back around again at some time. I do hope they do a good install.

Something I have noticed about DirecTV is that they are using foreign call centers. I was sent to one and the rep's accent was so heavy I could not understand him, so I called back and told the person this. She said she would put me through to an English center. I have never experienced this before with DirecTV. They are changing it seems. it makes me somewhat nervous as they have always been excellent in the reps they use and the wait time holding.

IIRC, Directv only uses off shore call centers during off hours.

Do protection plan customers always get US call centers? Anytime I call with a problem I always get people who say "Thank you for calling Directv I'm so and call and from a us state.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I could not tolerate being without paid TV any longer , so I signed back on with DirecTV . The Roku / Blu-Ray just don't get it for me. I need live programming . So much for Netflix, Hulu Plus , Amazon These are all well and good , but not at the expense of the live programming . I watch more live programs than anything else . They are a definite must have. So I tried the streaming , like I have wanted to do for sometime and cut the cord to paid TV , but found that it isn't for me at this time.

You are certainly not alone. In another post I alluded to this, and how the numbers of people who cut the chord are deceiving. Yes, a decent percentage has made a break and continue to do so, but the number being thrown around doesn't take into the equation how many eventually went back, or in some cases how many have both.
I think sometimes people are not fully aware of exactly what something like a Roku is or what you can reasonably get on the Internet. I have a Roku and use it, but it nor Hulu etc. as you posted is a substitute for Satellite/Cable, it's a supplement.

Do protection plan customers always get US call centers? Anytime I call with a problem I always get people who say "Thank you for calling Directv I'm so and call and from a us state.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That was what I always got in the past , but not when I called yesterday and not when I cancelled my account either and I have had them since 2007

You are certainly not alone. In another post I alluded to this, and how the numbers of people who cut the chord are deceiving. Yes, a decent percentage has made a break and continue to do so, but the number being thrown around doesn't take into the equation how many eventually went back, or in some cases how many have both.
I think sometimes people are not fully aware of exactly what something like a Roku is or what you can reasonably get on the Internet. I have a Roku and use it, but it nor Hulu etc. as you posted is a substitute for Satellite/Cable, it's a supplement.

I can relate. Installed an antenna in the attic and cut the cord four days ago. Already miss those cable news and sports shows and am thinking about going DirectTV. I bought MLB.TV to run over the PS3 and although it's great to be able to watch my team anytime, the picture quality just isn't quite the same. Definitely plan to have something in place by football season.

I have the Protection plan and got their offshore center about a month ago. I believe there is only one and it's in the Phillipines. They can't seem to make any offers for discounts or anything just tech advice from their script.

Directv was installed today . He gave me a receiver H25 . He said it was the newest one. I did not want a Genie. The colors on my tv are not good. Not crisp and clear. Most look like a light film is over the picture. Like a light fog . Some faces look gold like the surroundings. Some colors are washed out some are too dark. None are really clear and crisp. I called the technician as he gave me his number. He is suppose to come back bay later today. I am not happy. He said the color on my TV might need adjusting , but it does not. It is set to the default and had perfect color when I cancelled DTV back in February and now on resign up ,with a new receiver , the color is way off. I won't have it. If they cannot or won't , I will cancell regardless . I am paying way too much not to be satisfied . I am sick really.

Check your settings as it sounds like the receiver is not set to output the correct resolution to your tv. :)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I would also double check and make sure that the TV was not accidentally changed to "vivd" mode or off of what you had it on before.

Also, what cables are you using? HDMI? Component? Composite? Coax? Double check all of that, and make sure that the cables are going to the same input as when you had before. Some TVs have settings that are input specific, and if they are hooked into a different slot, that is a possible culprit.

The receiver I got today , the H25 , I had them to replace with the H24 like I had before. But the colors are not like my other receiver. Upon checking , it is an H24/700 instead of the H24/200 like I had before. He told me he would try to locate one and change it out. I hope he finds one. Which one of these receivers do you guys think is best ? Which would you prefer. I know they are basically the same , but by different manufacturers. Please let me know as he might come back tomorrow if he locates one.

Like you noted they are just made by different manufacturers. There are no real differences.

They should be functionally identical. (of course with any mass produced piece of consumer electronics, lemons will make it through to the wild).

I am connected with my own HDMI cable as it was a higher quality than the DTV one. I have heard that there have been problems with the H24/700 . It is made by Pace. The H24/200 is made by Samsung. I know my colors were a lot better in the H24/200. I know nothing of the Pace manufacturer. Never heard of them. But very familiar with Samsung. The color saturation was better in the H24/200 , also the colors were natural in the H24/200. In the H24/700 , the colors are so bright they look like florescent colors. They just grab you. The nighttime is so dark you can hardly see the images. I just don't like this H24/700 at all. Not all H24's are created equal. Not by a long shot .

The TV is set to the 1080i resolution The resolution is set correctly. HDMI cable used to connect TV to the receiver.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should try a different cable, to at least eliminate the cable being bad from the list of potential problems.

Perhaps you should try a different cable, to at least eliminate the cable being bad from the list of potential problems.

The tech did try another cable. The first used the DTV cable and then tried my cable and there were no differences . He even tried the component cables. All were the same.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)