DirecTV Subscriber...Need OTA receiver

TexasMama

Original poster
May 21, 2006
DirecTV Subscriber...Need OTA HDTV receiver

Hello,
I am already a DirecTV subscriber...have been for years.
bought a new Sony HD-READY TV, want to pick up OTA HDTV. Hubby also has his own DirecTV TIVO receiver separate from mine... in other words he watches what he wants & I watch whatever I want. Shouldn't be a factor, but mentioned it just in case.
With that in mind here are my questions:

(1) I do NOT want to subscribe to DirecTV HD programming... too expensive for what you get; just want to keep my current programming package.
This is how I would like to do it:
REPLACE my (very old -original) DirecTV receiver with a DirecTV satellite receiver that will receive over the air broadcast HDTV, maybe buy EBay or retail?
If so: What models are the best to buy?

(2) Will DirecTV allow me a change out to a HD receiver WITHOUT signing up to their HD programing?

Bottom line doesn't make sense to me to buy a separate (you fill in the brand) OTA HDTV Tuner box if I can accomplish the same thing with a (upgraded) DirecTV HD receiver. Want to buy the right product the FIRST time, not make a "ol' darn it" mistake.

Hope I made this clear enough to everyone. If not please post any questions I hadn't thought of or covered, will do my best to answer.

Thank You in advance for taking the time to read/respond
TexasMama

Last edited:
I have a Directv H-10 HDTV receiver currently used as a showroom receiver, complete with new access card that I will sell for a great price. If you are interested, please PM me (or email alan@alsat.us). Just activate this receiver as a "Purchased" unit, and do not subscribe to HD package. BTW, if you subscribe to Showtime and/or HBO, you will receive HD feed at no additional charge, if you have a Phase 3 dish antenna.

Al