Directv Sucks

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Digital Dude said:
I feel like I'm on a LSD flashback to Ross Perot and NAFTA, "This agreement will create a giant sucking sound that is US Jobs moving to Mexico"!

and he was correct,.when all the numnuts said he was wrong ....

well we have shipped more high paying jobs over seas and have either replaced them with unemployment or low paying jobs... which the govt claims we are adding jobs

nope, we are loosing them

Satmeister said:
4) All the message board operators I've met (5 so far) in person, all share the passion for their topics. They're people too! The only issue I've really had with any board operator/moderator, is that their threshold for tolerance of ongoing negative activities by certain posters is far too high. I'm all for freedom of speech, but not at the expense of others.

nope, freedom of speech is absolute.... and do not quote the people whho try to say freedom of speech is not absolute, they are the people trying to censor us

stop trying to come up with ways to censor people with your cheap ploys to say how should limit free speech for our own good, nope, censorship is no good .. period

Last edited:
:up
boston area dtv said:
The reason I started the thread was to try and understand why anyone would want to alienate his sites subscribers.

Its perfectly understandable for people to claim the D* sucks or even that E* sucks.

I just dont understand why the big cheese would make the comment without backing it up.

Ive always understood this sites slant towards E*. E* makes it easier on forums like this with charlie chat. E* is more forthcoming with information. And Scott HAS E*.

But what I dont understand is the constant D* bashing. This bashing goes seems to go beyond the normal mine is better than yours contest.

I thought this place was a place to come to learn and share information. Ive learned tons here.

What I dont get is why the mods here take shots at the people here. Sean is staff..and by ripping D* all the time he is basically taking shots at D* subs. Which are the people here.

I nearly fell out of my chair when Scott didnt issue a statement that sounded like "look both formats E* and D* have their faults I prefer E* and find them to be the better provider for me."

Maybe this part of the grand plan to build up the D* side. Troll to build up interest.

I just find it troubling that the E* mod didnt rip E*'s commercial for 24/7 football. If thats not hyperbole I dont know what is.

The E* mod did however take time to rip a D* commercial. I think people here expect more out of the people that run this place.

Well said.:up :hatsoff: The only thing missing is why, when someone posts a question about a problem with their service or equipment, do certain trolls (almost invariably the same ones:bow ) use that opportunity to hijack the thread and start their anti-this or anti-that rant and diatribe? We all know the answer.:D

Last edited:
In the context of HDLite...
DirecTV Sucks
Dish Network Sucks
Most Cable TV Sucks.

No I don't have DirecTV or even subscribe to HD services via cable.

With that siad I dont expect any satellite service to offer full bitrate hd again, but I am not blaming the satellite companies as I don't think that the satellite companies are trying to withhold resolution from you because they want to, its because they HAVE too.

The services are not being greedy the issue is the lack of available bandwidth available to them, and with more and more HD services coming out I see the problem getting worse.

Yes DirecTV and Dish can get new satellites however the bandwidth restrictions are still going to be the same, if the HD is pristine its only going to get worse again as more and more channels go HD.

The government is not giving Satellite Companies more bandwidth and that is what I see being the problem. (And the problem is also the same for MOST cable companies as well)

All the whining about HD Lite to the satellite companies is not going to do anyone good, they can't help it people want and are begging for more HD Channels and are not happy with the current ones they have now. I don't think companies like Dish and DirecTV are rolling their hands laughing because hey are downresing their HD content. Instead my feeling is they are sittiing there saying... Oh my god what do we do?

The MPEG4 answer so far is not an answer at all, truth is MPEG4 does not work. The MPEG4 theory looks great on paper however in the real world it has not giving the expected results. If and when they get MPEG4 working the way its supposed to I still don't expect full resolution HD to return. If it did then I would expect it to be down resed again in the future as more and more HD channels launch and more and more people demand that their favorite HD channel be carried.

Take a look back 2 years ago, How many national HD channels were there? How many do you think there will be 2 years from now? How much extra bandwidth do you see the government giving satellite companies? Do you see the problem here?

This is why I say DirecTV Sucks, Dish Network Sucks and Cable Sucks. And from my looking glass from where I sit we aint seen nothing yet. If you think things are bad now wait til there are 80 - 100 national HD channels and they try to squeeze them in to the space where they now only have 40 HD channels. It's no a nice picture.

Ultimately I see the Satellite and Cable companies overing us better quality then SD channels, and for some they will be happy, but if you want the better quality you will need to watch OTA which will make the broadcasters very happy or you will need to get a HDDVD / BluRay player for the quality HD that Satellite and Cable just can't provides.

I can already see the NAB and the Movie industry sitting back and laughing as this all goes on, because they know that if people want true HD then they will need to get it from a real broadcaster or pay for it by buying the content. They can also sit tight knowing that HD Pirarcy of their movies from channels like HBO is a non threat because no one is getting that signal in real HD anyways.

The question now is what do WE do about it? Do we sit idle as the PQ continues to erode? Who do we complaign to? If we complaigned to anyone would they actually care?

The Ulltimate answer can be found if you just FOLLOW THE MONEY TRAIL.

Because of this one again I say DirecTV Sucks, Dish Network sucks and even Cable TV sucks, and unfortunately for all of them there seems to be nothing they can do about it.

The question is, is there anything we can do about it?

I agree whole heartedly with your assessment that all providers suck when it comes to their down rezzing plans.

It was nice to see both D* and E* subs all fired up when the report of an HD lite law suit came about.

What I was disappointed in was that when the suit was reported it was divided on this board into a D* and E* sections. I would have liked to have seen it in just one forum. All of us in this together.

So as for what can we do about it. I say we ALL try and get in on this class action suit. Not so much as to "getting" anything out of it monetarily, but, more for a strength in numbers point. If the end result is True HD then I think we all will be pleased.

crmlht said:
nope, freedom of speech is absolute.... and do not quote the people whho try to say freedom of speech is not absolute, they are the people trying to censor us

stop trying to come up with ways to censor people with your cheap ploys to say how should limit free speech for our own good, nope, censorship is no good .. period
Sorry you feel the need to continue the negative trend in the name of "free speech". Not to argue constitutional law with you, but I'll be brief. Your wrong. Anything or anyone that intentionally imposes ill will or harm (verbal or physical) to someone else is either hate or a crime, neither of which is a "freedom". No one's trying to censor anyone, just moderate the hate & attack monger posts. You clearly missed the spirit and intent of the whole original post, which was to encourage reasonable debate, instead of character assaults. Best wishes.

Here Here Sat!!

Scott, I wont waste the space to post your whole thread but I agree with you completely. That is why I hate to see anyone post about how bad anyones HD is. Period. The bashers, especially those of D* do act as if they for some evil reason want to put out a less than expected quality of picture. It is an absurd thought and even if someone thinks it, it is an even more absurd post. They are meant to attack and also to lean those trying to make a decision in another direction. Not for the persons well being but for the posters twisted satisfaction. I for one won't bring it up again, I just hope that when someone posts a legit concern we don't see the usual D*s HD sucks posts that we have come to expect from you know who. They have been tired for over a year now, yet every single chance they get, even if the thread has nothing to do with it there it is and the staff members never seem to have a problem with it. As a matter of fact, a lot of the time they back it up.

I wouldn't claim I am smart, infact my idea didn't come to me until yesterday when I really thought about it.

Does DirecTV want to give its customers bad HD? - NO
Does Dish Network want to give its customers bad HD? - NO
Does Cable want to give its customers bad HD? - NO

Thinking about it that way instead of "this company is evil" actually opened my eyes, and I hope my sharp words have opened some of your eyes as well.

Think about it a bit. About the only ones smiling about all of the HD lite are the OTA Broadcasters (and the NAB) and the studios, soon the only way to see GOOD HD is to BUY IT and that what they want you to do. And sooner or later YOUR GOING TO!

As I said before, follow the money trail.

A lot of people miss Voom, but the funny part about VOOM was most of its channels were also down resed, and we heard no complaints of HD Lite.

They say knowledge is power, but sometimes to much knowledge causes agrivation. :D

FlyingJ said:
Vurbano sucks! Because he didn't include the fact that E*s HDLITE sucks too. So what is it Vurbano, only D*s HDLITE sucks?

J i had D* for years and just got E* and IMHO E* has a better HD picture. I just don't get as many "blocking" moments. My wife even could notice it was a "smoother" picture. Not saying anyone sucks as I would go with who ever has the best product. But right now as I said in my HUMBLES OP E8 is slightly better right now.

boston area dtv said:
The reason I started the thread was to try and understand why anyone would want to alienate his sites subscribers.

Its perfectly understandable for people to claim the D* sucks or even that E* sucks.

I just dont understand why the big cheese would make the comment without backing it up.

Ive always understood this sites slant towards E*. E* makes it easier on forums like this with charlie chat. E* is more forthcoming with information. And Scott HAS E*.

But what I dont understand is the constant D* bashing. This bashing goes seems to go beyond the normal mine is better than yours contest.

I thought this place was a place to come to learn and share information. Ive learned tons here.

What I dont get is why the mods here take shots at the people here. Sean is staff..and by ripping D* all the time he is basically taking shots at D* subs. Which are the people here.

I nearly fell out of my chair when Scott didnt issue a statement that sounded like "look both formats E* and D* have their faults I prefer E* and find them to be the better provider for me."

Maybe this part of the grand plan to build up the D* side. Troll to build up interest.

I just find it troubling that the E* mod didnt rip E*'s commercial for 24/7 football. If thats not hyperbole I dont know what is.

The E* mod did however take time to rip a D* commercial. I think people here expect more out of the people that run this place.

I am not a mod but had D* for years and now have E*. E* should be ripped for misleading ads with Tiki and FB. But man I tell yah switching from D* was damn hard for me as I get no ST anymore and PD about $200 for the HDdvr 622 from E* and now have 2 hd boxes and an hd tivo sitting in my basement.
People who have D* and are happy, great :up If you have E* and like it great :up People who point out D*'s recent issues don't all hate D*. Some like me just refuse to accept lame excuses and poor management decisions, and less HD options in a downrezzed picture. I know E*'s HD is not flawless but I swear I get a better PQ with them.
People should be able to jump on D* decisions to add crap SD channels. Have to turn off HD channels to accomodate the ST UNANNOUNCED to their customers. IMHO Roll out HDLIL instead of National HD. And then have their VP Shanks in a recent interview proclaim their HD was the best thing since sliced bread. That is like telling Charper $2.00 bottles of wine are better than Knob Creek Bourbon :D I mean come on!!
People need to step back and look at what they have and if they are happy. If they are great. If they aren't switch. Simple huh? But to rip people because they slant a certain way is silly...it is human nature. Also everybody can't have the shiniest new apple. Only 1 can be the best. Other than the St D* iMHO has nothing CURRENTLY on E*. if you want HD go E* if you want sports ,especially FB, go D*. But E* get s the nod right now.

Scott, thanks for your post. I have been waiting for some kind of definitive statement like this to figure out which way to go as far as HD is concerned (MPEG4, DISH, etc.). I don't have an OTA option at my house, so from what you are saying, my only chance will be that the Verizon FIOS that has just recently gained an important foothold in California, may be my best chance at quality HDTV. Am I being overly optimistic in my hopes/expectations from FIOS? (It sounds like it could become available to me sometime next spring.)

I have never seen FIOS, so I can't offer you an opinion that way, I know most people love it, but others say its got a way to go as far as programming and ease of use of its equipment.

ArtWIS said:
My that's a clever post! LOL What are you 13 years old?:D

then you must think rupert murdoch is 13 too, I was only restating his own view he said on Directv

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have never seen FIOS, so I can't offer you an opinion that way, I know most people love it, but others say its got a way to go as far as programming and ease of use of its equipment.

they have more programming (fios) than all , just missing a fiew they add them and tivo, it would be over for e and dtv in all fios markets

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts