Directv sues Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I hope DIRECTV wins.

I get a chuckle out of the DISHNETWORK commercials claiming DISHNETWORK costs less, and DISHNETWORK has more HD. :D

In the one ridiculious commercial someone even says - DISHNETWORK has the highest quality HD channels. :haha
I suppose some idiots actually believe it.
:rolleyes:

I hope DIRECTV wins.

I get a chuckle out of the DISHNETWORK commercials claiming DISHNETWORK costs less, and DISHNETWORK has more HD. :D

In the one ridiculious commercial someone even says - DISHNETWORK has the highest quality HD channels. :haha
I suppose some idiots actually believe it.
:rolleyes:

Actually, America's Top 250 is $62.99 which is $1 less than D*'s Choice Xtra package at $63.99. The packages (http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/StandardHDChannelGuide.pdf) are not that bad either. The HD does not look bad either. HD & Platinum is $10 with E* while HD and the HD Extra Pack would be $14.99 with D*.

Dish Family $24.99
America's Top 120 $39.99
America's Top 200 $52.99
America's Top 250 $62.99
America's "Everything" Pak $99.99

DirecTV Family $29.99
Choice $58.99
Choice Xtra $63.99
Choice Ultimate $68.99
Premier $114.99

Sure, the first receiver price is included with both in the package price. However, with E*, a Duo Receiver can be used for 2 TVs. If it is an HDTV receiver, then TV 2 can get HD channels downcoverted on it.

It is just all what you want really when it comes down to it. I realize that some people are with D* due to the sports programming.

Also, E* seems to have a nice amount of premium movie channels especially in terms of HD when compared to D*.

I do not mean to start an E* bash D* thread or a D* bash E* thread, but I do not think that anyone should call others stupid for the satellite provider that they choose.

Given the paucity of non-sports HD content in the DIRECTV Premier package, one might equate it to adding the SPORTS PACK to CHOICE Extra.

Lot of the RSN in the sports pack now are carried in HD.

You should add teh dish sport pack to everything pack considering that premier includes it. But just as I mention in the other thread you play with the number enought you can see almost anything

I am just as an examp now show equipment cost as they are it would not matter who I had I would pay for the boxes i need

Setup mimics what I had with dish and now have with directv but I was nicer and instead of acounting my 3 722 I did it onthere site show 2 hd dvr solo 1 duo so 3 hd and 1 sd .

vs 3 hr2x and 1 r15

AT250 vs Choice Xtra

AT250
PACKAGE:
America’s Top 250$62.99
ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING:
Tampa/St. Petersburg/Sarasota, FL Local ChannelsIncludedHD & Platinum$10.00
HARDWARE:
HD Solo DVR ReceiverIncludedHD Solo DVR ReceiverIncludedHD DuoDVR ReceiverIncludedDVR Service$6.00HD SOLO DVR RECEIVER FEE$10.00HD SOLO DVR RECEIVER FEE$10.00MONTHLY
TOTAL$ 98.99

Choice Xtra with 250 channels

63.99+10(hd)+15(additonal reciver) 88.98

So here I can say switching to directv could save 120 dollars a year even more where i live do to less taxes.

Now I would be like dish and use microprice to show how i got at these numbers and the special circumstances at which they were calculated.

But again if I make some sacarfices I could make dish look better the direct.

My wife was asking me if we would save money by switching to DISH from DirecTV. So I crunched the numbers (not counting the promo price):
  • DirecTV (Choice Xtra), 1 HD, 2SDs, DVR service, 2 additional outlets, Sports Pack, Starz/Showtime, protection plan: $150.50/month, inc. tax
  • DISH Network (America's Top 250), 1 HD, 2 SDs, DVR service, 2 additional outlets, Multi Sport, Starz/Showtime, protection plan: $130.36.
When I compared the two with the same hardware, using DirecTV Premier vs. DISH Network America's Everything, the pricing was:
  • DirecTV, $161.10, inc. tax
  • DISH, $146.26, inc. tax
This is why, barring some unbelievably new programming advantage offered by DirecTV after the hockey season ends (we have Centre Ice and wouldn't want to lose it with two full months to go in the season, plus early playoff rounds), I will probably switch.

• DirecTV, $161.10, inc. tax
  • DISH, $146.26, inc. tax
This is why, barring some unbelievably new programming advantage offered by DirecTV after the hockey season ends (we have Centre Ice and wouldn't want to lose it with two full months to go in the season, plus early playoff rounds), I will probably switch.

Thanks for crunching those numbers. Right now as a DirecTV customer of over 10 years and a D* HD customer of over one year, I believe it is D* who is being deceptive in advertising the most HD. The sports pak is an extra over Choice and Choice extra -- the two packages most of us would be most interested in, and is not the national HD that most of us want. I'm in the Sacramento market and my RSNs are not even full time no less full time HD so they hardly count IMHO. Even with EI when one of my teams plays the Giants, it is usually in very poor SD. And now no VS! 200 channels of PPV Cinema (or whatever they call it this week) or RSNs that carry a hefty additional charge on top of the hefty charges we already pay are not what people want when they buy into the "most HD" mantra. Anyone doing their homework right now would not go with D* unless they must have one of the sports premiums like ST or CI. On day to day, national HD, D* is not the leader. Not even close.

Sorry for my rant, but my anger over D*s ads has been building and now with no MSNBC HD for the Olympics I've just lost it.

Last edited:
You should add teh dish sport pack to everything pack considering that premier includes it.
You missed my point. Premiere isn't a whole lot more than the SPORTS PACK if you consider just the HD offerings.

Premier includes something upwards of 40 HD sports channels and somewhere around 14 non-sports HD channels.

You missed my point. Premiere isn't a whole lot more than the SPORTS PACK if you consider just the HD offerings.

Premier includes something upwards of 40 HD sports channels and somewhere around 14 non-sports HD channels.

You cant view it that way most people who have premier is for teh movie channels. Yes some people actually enjoy the sports pack but those use usually haver choice extra with the sports pack addon.

Lot of the RSN in the sports pack now are carried in HD.

You should add teh dish sport pack to everything pack considering that premier includes it. But just as I mention in the other thread you play with the number enought you can see almost anything

I am just as an examp now show equipment cost as they are it would not matter who I had I would pay for the boxes i need

Setup mimics what I had with dish and now have with directv but I was nicer and instead of acounting my 3 722 I did it onthere site show 2 hd dvr solo 1 duo so 3 hd and 1 sd .

vs 3 hr2x and 1 r15

AT250 vs Choice Xtra

AT250
PACKAGE:
America’s Top 250$62.99
ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING:
Tampa/St. Petersburg/Sarasota, FL Local ChannelsIncludedHD & Platinum$10.00
HARDWARE:
HD Solo DVR ReceiverIncludedHD Solo DVR ReceiverIncludedHD DuoDVR ReceiverIncludedDVR Service$6.00HD SOLO DVR RECEIVER FEE$10.00HD SOLO DVR RECEIVER FEE$10.00MONTHLY
TOTAL$ 98.99

Choice Xtra with 250 channels

63.99+10(hd)+15(additonal reciver) 88.98

So here I can say switching to directv could save 120 dollars a year even more where i live do to less taxes.

Now I would be like dish and use microprice to show how i got at these numbers and the special circumstances at which they were calculated.

But again if I make some sacarfices I could make dish look better the direct.

The channels included in AT250 (with an exception of a few since each provider has a few channels different than the other) are included in the Choice Ultimate package ($68.99). Also, doesn't D* charge a $7/month fee for DVR service? Therefore, that total would be $100.98 (unless there is a grandfathered package/deal). Again, there would be an additional $4.99 for the HD Extra Pack since most of those channels are included in the Platinum Pack with E*. So, $105.97 for D* v. $98.99 for E* with this setup.

Last edited:
So, $105.97 for D* v. $98.99 for E* with this setup.

So in this example DISHNETWORK is $7 less per month than DIRECTV.
I'm sure as soon as everyone reads this they'll drop DIRECTV and jump on DISHNETWORK. ;)

I also get a bundle discount with my QWEST phone, internet, DIRECTV all on one bill. I'm gonna have to sit down and give this some hard thinking the next few days.

The channels included in AT250 (with an exception of a few since each provider has a few channels different than the other) are included in the Choice Ultimate package ($68.99). Also, doesn't D* charge a $7/month fee for DVR service? Therefore, that total would be $100.98 (unless there is a grandfathered package/deal). Again, there would be an additional $4.99 for the HD Extra Pack since most of those channels are included in the Platinum Pack with E*. So, $105.97 for D* v. $98.99 for E* with this setup.

You missed the point E* is doing the same thing there ads. When you read the fine print it not a one for one comparison.

Hence my point that I can make D* look better just by playing with the numbers like E* did.

Yea but D* would be lying ;)

To be honest I only seen one add where this suit can apply and it the latest one with the guy and the girl and at the end it says save 175 a year. All the other ones are pretty generic and dont go down in specifics so I am assuming worst case this would all go away with removing that one commercial. And probably what will be ordered by the judge that one commercial that makes reference to an actual dollar amount .

I agree with the question, "Why pay more for TV?" That is why I am still with Direct:

Total Choice Plus with HD service and DVR service in both rooms.

Total Choice Plus - $58
HD - $10
HD Extra - $5
DVR - $6
Additional Receiver - $5

Total: $84

With Dish I would need to go to the 250 channel package to get many of the same channels:

AT 250 - $63
HD - $10
DVR - $6
Extra one room HD DVR - $10

Total: $89

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts