DirecTV/Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sooner51502

Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
Somewhere
Just ordered Gigapower service via AT&T along with DirecTV...I currently have COX for TV with Tivo boxes that I purchased. Will DirecTV work with my existing TIVO boxes?

Unfortunately not. They did offer a TiVo box at one time buy I don't think they do anymore.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Correct, no they will not work with DirecTV directly, at least not for the TiVo's that are capable of HD.

The only TiVo box that will work with DirecTV is the THR22. While it is an HD STB, it uses the now old Series 3 platform (from 2006! Ten years old platform!) with only 2 tuners and has virtually none of the retail TiVo features such as recordings transfers and OTT apps along with many others lacking. The THR22 is really for diehard TiVo lovers (fanboys) who just want that TiVo interface (old S3) and experience without the many great TiVo retail features. The THR22 is priced as a premium box by DirecTV, so it incurs additional fees.

As far as your current TiVo boxes, be aware the S1 is no longer functional with the TiVo Service; TiVo no longer supports Series 1 in any way. As for the S2, those boxes will NOT be re-activated nor (as I lost saw) be moved to another account. As for the S3's, the original S3 (648 with OLED) are not MPEG4 capable, and since almost every cable co has already or is in the process of changing to MPEG4, this box has little value except as an OTA only DVR. As for the S3's that are HD and HDXL models, those are capable of decoding MPEG4 with a software update that has been pushed by TiVo. However, any S3 (all the models: 648, HD, HDXL) that are on LIFETIME, can be moved to another account, but it may require a phone call to TiVo. Any S3 (all models: 648, HD, HDXL) with payment plans other than Lifetime, TiVo will not re-activate nor will they move those to another account.

Of course, all S4's, Roamio, and Bolts are still fully supported by TiVo with none of the above restrictions.

So, you could ebay the TiVo boxes you have. Just check to see how much they are going for these days. Or you could keep the TiVo's you have and use them for OTA only, if you have the correct models. At least the TiVo EPG has nearly complete, including the OTA sub-channels, guide data. They are a better solution than OTA via DirecTV.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Correct, no they will not work with DirecTV directly, at least not for the TiVo's that are capable of HD.

The only TiVo box that will work with DirecTV is the THR22. While it is an HD STB, it uses the now old Series 3 platform (from 2006! Ten years old platform!) with only 2 tuners and has virtually none of the retail TiVo features such as recordings transfers and OTT apps along with many others lacking. The THR22 is really for diehard TiVo lovers (fanboys) who just want that TiVo interface (old S3) and experience without the many great TiVo retail features. The THR22 is priced as a premium box by DirecTV, so it incurs additional fees.

As far as your current TiVo boxes, be aware the S1 is no longer functional with the TiVo Service; TiVo no longer supports Series 1 in any way. As for the S2, those boxes will NOT be re-activated nor (as I lost saw) be moved to another account. As for the S3's, the original S3 (648 with OLED) are not MPEG4 capable, and since almost every cable co has already or is in the process of changing to MPEG4, this box has little value except as an OTA only DVR. As for the S3's that are HD and HDXL models, those are capable of decoding MPEG4 with a software update that has been pushed by TiVo. However, any S3 (all the models: 648, HD, HDXL) that are on LIFETIME, can be moved to another account, but it may require a phone call to TiVo. Any S3 (all models: 648, HD, HDXL) with payment plans other than Lifetime, TiVo will not re-activate nor will they move those to another account.

Of course, all S4's, Roamio, and Bolts are still fully supported by TiVo with none of the above restrictions.

So, you could ebay the TiVo boxes you have. Just check to see how much they are going for these days. Or you could keep the TiVo's you have and use them for OTA only, if you have the correct models. At least the TiVo EPG has nearly complete, including the OTA sub-channels, guide data. They are a better solution than OTA via DirecTV.

Good luck.
You would be hard pressed to find/get a THR22, a=if you did happen to come by one, would they even activate it anymore with it being so outdated.
It would only record 2 and I think its still mpeg2.

You would be hard pressed to find/get a THR22, a=if you did happen to come by one, would they even activate it anymore with it being so outdated.
It would only record 2 and I think its still mpeg2.
They have it as an option in the order equipment section of my account for 199.00. They are supposed to be much slower than the HR-22 platform they're built on. I wouldn't advise getting one.

Do yourself a favor, go with Directv's HD DVR and equipment. The Directv Tivo works, but... my goodness, it short changes and limits the customer in so many ways. IMO it really isn't worth it. The Tivo is ok, yet, if you make the full transition to Directv you will enjoy all of the benefits that the integrated equipment will allow you. JMO

Reactions: Jimbo
If the Directv Tivo receiver is discontinued, why do they still air ads for "introducing the Directv HD DVR with Tivo" all the time?

i think its contractual. our warehouse has... 3? anyone who signed up with those was pretty much told we dont carry them anymore and get switched over to hr24's or canceled the install.

Ah, yes. I remember the Angst of those long gone days, when TiVo and Directv made it clear that they were not going to play well together at all in the Software Arena. Whew
I'm gonna guess that copy writes and patents might have had something to do with that.

I'm gonna guess that copy writes and patents might have had something to do with that.

Oh yes, and pride reigned the day until the agreements that they each had with the other were no more. Now, all that Directv has of the Tivo Line is antiquated software that is a mere shell of what it used to be for Directv Tivo subscribers. And a good time was not had by all. It was actually a really sad end to what was once a good relationship. Yet, I must say, Directv HD DVR's benefited from the split up.

Anyone want to buy a Directv TiVo unit?

I got one I took out of service on a showroom account the other day. Comes with a new virgin access card ready for activation. It looks practically new in very good condition.

I had to replace it as I upgraded my LNB to a reverse band and the TIVO would not support it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts