Directv to a monitor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dae06

Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Minnesota
Is it possible for me to hook up one of my SD directv boxes to a computer monitor (without the computer)? I want to do an under cabinet mount in my kitchen to free up counter space. Most undercabinet tv's are too small and pretty expensive.

If you've got an old composite monitor like those used with the Apple ][, Commodore 64, Atari 8 bit or Amiga, you can hook directly to the composite input.

If you're trying to use an LCD or plasma that weren't designed for TV use, no dice.

A monitor is not as smart as a tv so there are no connections that will work on it for a D* receiver.
Yes it will. I had one hooked up through component video and composite audio on a 24" sync master until the backlight capacitors went out on the monitor. I currently have one hooked up to a 22" viewsonic through HDMI video and audio to stand alone speakers.

Last edited:
i dont see why not, as long as the inputs are the same.
you will need speakers too though

Here is a pic I just took a few seconds ago

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 185
I just realized that my monitor has a built in TV tuner. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:
Is it possible for me to hook up one of my SD directv boxes to a computer monitor (without the computer)? I want to do an under cabinet mount in my kitchen to free up counter space. Most undercabinet tv's are too small and pretty expensive.

There is equipment out there that if you look in the right places you will find a VGA tuner.
I have one hooked up to my old Dell LCD monitor and it has the clip on speakers from dell.
The box usually acts like the guts that are normally inside a LCD/Plasma/LED TV off the shelf.. just an external unit
I have my dell monitor's tuner in the basement with an IR extender directly below the monitor. The IR extender is about the size of a piece of Chex cereal.

If you want some links as to where you can start looking at prices, send me a PM.

Mine is also mounted under my cabinet.

You could also buy one of these if your monitor only has a VGA input. S-Video from the SD receiver to the converter, VGA to the LCD Monitor. If your monitor has speakers then you will have to run a long 1/4" mini-plug to RCA audio cable.

videoware_2119_10627017

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts