Status
Please reply by conversation.

mistercoke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
OaK Hill Ohio
DIRECTV to Add 5 HD Channels Today?
By Swanni Washington, D.C. (August 15, 2012) --DIRECTV today is expected to add five new HD channels, including the long awaited BBC America HD.

In a poll of TVPredictions.com readers taken last year, they named BBC America HD as the channel they would most like DIRECTV to add. Since that poll, the satcaster has added TruTV HD, E! HD and Turner Classic Movies HD.

However, in DIRECTV's mobile programming guide, which is available on the iPad, DIRECTV is now listing BBC America HD, which features such eclectic programming as Doctor Who, Top Gear and BBC World News.

In addition to BBC America HD, the DIRECTV mobile guide now includes National Geographic HD; ION HD; Disney Jr. and beIN Sport HD.

Normally, DIRECTV launches new HD channels at 6 a.m. ET, but as of 6:14 a.m. today, the satcaster had yet to add the new channels. beIn Sport says on its Twitter page that DIRECTV will add its channel at 7:30 p.m. ET so it's possible the satcaster will add all the new channels at that time. (See update above.)

DIRECTV to Add 5 HD Channels Today?
By Swanni Washington, D.C. (August 15, 2012) --DIRECTV today is expected to add five new HD channels, including the long awaited BBC America HD.

In a poll of TVPredictions.com readers taken last year, they named BBC America HD as the channel they would most like DIRECTV to add. Since that poll, the satcaster has added TruTV HD, E! HD and Turner Classic Movies HD.

However, in DIRECTV's mobile programming guide, which is available on the iPad, DIRECTV is now listing BBC America HD, which features such eclectic programming as Doctor Who, Top Gear and BBC World News.

In addition to BBC America HD, the DIRECTV mobile guide now includes National Geographic HD; ION HD; Disney Jr. and beIN Sport HD.

Normally, DIRECTV launches new HD channels at 6 a.m. ET, but as of 6:14 a.m. today, the satcaster had yet to add the new channels. beIn Sport says on its Twitter page that DIRECTV will add its channel at 7:30 p.m. ET so it's possible the satcaster will add all the new channels at that time. (See update above.)

dear swanni,

if you didn't hate dtv so much, you would have noticed the channels were a little late going live today.

signed,
not a fan

I'm getting them EXCEPT for BeIN. It's not showing in the guide at all. I already had Ion E in SD but it's not in HD, still only SD.

Are we all supposed to get BeIN? I have plat pak.

beIN doesnt launch until later tonight... around 7pm

late as usual for swanni. we at satguys knew this was coming........ (and dbs)

I bet BBCAHD will look great. I remember it as one of the Dish HD Channels I thought looked excellent. Most of the BBCAHD programming Ive gotten off Amazon looked awesome as well.

Swannit wrote that National Geographic was coming in hd! What an idiot. Does he call himself a journalist?

Wasn't ION supposed to be one of the HD channels launched?

yes and its still uplinked. Maybe they want to launch it tonight when they have real programming on (and not paid programs) ;)
or maybe they are figuring out if they want to remap it in the locals for the Eastern and Central time zone

I wasn't aware of this until I turned on Disney Junior for my son just now. It's like a birthday present, since it really is my birthday, and I'm a huge BBC fan.

I've been watching Doctor Who for 30 years now, and for about half of those it was obscure, canceled, and dead. Now, with the young kids getting into it, and merchandise in Hot Topic, it just blows my mind. :eek:

I've been able to get Who in HD, from "certain sources", but now it's on D*, the same day, in HD. Bring on the Daleks (and Amy Pond:D) in HD!

Chris,

I'm a huge Doctor Who fan. My favorite Three Doctors first to third are,

Tom Baker
David Tennent
Jon Pertwee

Can't wait for Amy and Rory to be gone. Amy gets on my nerves something awful. I'm looking forward to the new Season, though.

John

I'm betting ION-HD is delayed because of some stupid programmer rule requiring DirecTV to provide the local ION-HD to markets that have a local ION-HD.

In mine the ION in the local channel grouping is SD. The only way I get ION-HD right now is via OTA.

I'm betting ION-HD is delayed because of some stupid programmer rule requiring DirecTV to provide the local ION-HD to markets that have a local ION-HD.

nope. In most cases (almost all now) the "local" Ion feed is the same as the national feed except for ID (these are the stations owned by Ion themselves). As posted previously alot of the Ion markets their "local" feed is a remap of the national. There are some markets that already have their Ion affiliate in HD

There are affiliates too. The easy way to know is this. Ion O&O have 3 stations
-1 Ion
-2 Qubo
-3 IonLife

affiliates can carry all of them or none or anything in between. There are affiliates who have Ion part time too. Here is the list
http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=network_search&network=ION

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)