DIRECTV to Carry Public Television Stations in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think DirecTV plans to carry PBS-HD national feed, except perhaps to those in white areas and/or where DTV does not provide HD locals. I think this agreement just covers at least 1 HD *local* PBS from each market where DTV carries any other HD locals, plus 2 SD nationals.

I am curious which two SD nationals they will be carrying. My guess is they'll carry PBS World and APT Create. However - they might go with V-Me TV instead of Create.

Same here, our PBS has 5 sub channels. So much for HD.

Which one are you talking about Scott? WEDH dt isn't even broadcasting ota yet, only on cable systems. Can you get WEDN dt from your place? I have no luck here in Cheshire. Don't they simulcast only during the day and only use one channel when they are doing hd at night?

Will there be a National feed on DirecTV of PBS HD? At least for white areas?

Montana has one of the highest percentage of Sat viewers per capita in the nation and DirecTV does not provide even SD local channels anywhere in the state [although they built a call center in Missoula to take advantage of cheap labor].

In the 75% of the country they claim HD and locals, there is also OTA, cable, Fiber Optic, etc alternatives. We here just keep getting screwed. [we are the folks that can't get a lot of local TV]

Well, for the 75%, you have got yours and can snivel about this and that and how many channels and providers you can get. "Fairness " has never been an American Tradition when it gets down to it.

As for me, the Log Cabin in the Montana Rockies beats it all!

Griz

Which one are you talking about Scott? WEDH dt isn't even broadcasting ota yet, only on cable systems. Can you get WEDN dt from your place? I have no luck here in Cheshire. Don't they simulcast only during the day and only use one channel when they are doing hd at night?
I got the CPTV signal OTA ONCE.. I don't know what I did.. must have been some atmospheric anomaly. It was cool to see a station with like 4 subs.

So.. does this mean that they're just going to give us all our local PBS stations in HD? Also what about all the subs?

What local PBS in HD??? The only HD I have ever seen via the PBS stations here in NE Ohio, Cambridge OH and ,during good tropo conditions, from Pittsburgh PA, is the PBS-HD national feed. Maybe there's locally originated PBS HD in larger markets but I've never seen any here.

Our local PBS station mentioned something about going HD on D*. They run 2 feeds, a 24 hour feed to Comcrap and a 10 hour (1700 to 0500 PST) feed OTA. Direct will get the 10 hour feed the guy said.

I don't think DirecTV plans to carry PBS-HD national feed, except perhaps to those in white areas and/or where DTV does not provide HD locals. I think this agreement just covers at least 1 HD *local* PBS from each market where DTV carries any other HD locals, plus 2 SD nationals.

That's the way I read the announcement, too. Here in Sacramento, a couple of years ago, our 1 local PBS station introduced OTA customers to National PBS-HD while it was getting ready to launch its own digital broadcasting. National PBS-HD was MARVELOUS! When the local station was "ready", it dropped the National feed. What a blow! We now get maybe one HD program a day. I want the National PBS-HD back!! But, this new agreement won't help that desire any. :(

Montana has one of the highest percentage of Sat viewers per capita in the nation and DirecTV does not provide even SD local channels anywhere in the state [although they built a call center in Missoula to take advantage of cheap labor].

In the 75% of the country they claim HD and locals, there is also OTA, cable, Fiber Optic, etc alternatives. We here just keep getting screwed. [we are the folks that can't get a lot of local TV]

Well, for the 75%, you have got yours and can snivel about this and that and how many channels and providers you can get. "Fairness " has never been an American Tradition when it gets down to it.

Griz

Can't you get all the national feeds?.As for local search the internet for the station you want,hopefully you will find it there.Good Luck!:)

P.S. Watch out for dem bars!:eek:

Hey Good news!!!!!! maybe there really is a santa!!! I miss PBS HD..
But When will "D" be willing to start showing Al Jazeera English??? We need a international non bias report of world and US news

Griz

What makes it worse is that E* has SD locals in MT, but not DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts