Free HR20 for New Customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dewar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Costco (same thing as Sam's Club) is offering a free HR20 for all new Directv customers. The HR21 is avaible but its not free.

I was just at a Costco 2 hours ago. There are selling the HR20 for $84.99, but if you are new customer they will give it to you for free. Not sure if it the 700 or 100.

Thats true vurb, but you arent leasing it from Costco either. THEY ARE selling it.
You are paying the D* upfront lease fee. You are not easing from Costco, you are leasing from D*. Selling implies ownership, they are not selling you anything.

You give money to Costco and they give you merchandise. Thus, as far as Costco is concerned they are "selling" it to you. Forget the fact that DirecTV is heavily subsidizing the cost.

You give money to Costco and they give you merchandise. Thus, as far as Costco is concerned they are "selling" it to you. Forget the fact that DirecTV is heavily subsidizing the cost.

You cannot purchase and own from a retail outlet like Costco. You are leasing that equipment. Sorry to disappoint you.
:eek:

The $84.99 price is for an H20, not HR20. At least that's what they are going for around here in CT.

The $84.99 price is for an H20, not HR20. At least that's what they are going for around here in CT.

Thats more like what I've seen at the local Costco's now for awhile.

Yes, it is amazing all the locations you go to that fail to have a D* sign up stating that they are LEASING this item, BB, CC are the same way.
I have talked to the guy's at CC about this and they all tell me that they definatly tell the customer that it's a lease, my question is, BEFORE or AFTER they make the sale ???

Jimbo

Yes, it is amazing all the locations you go to that fail to have a D* sign up stating that they are LEASING this item, BB, CC are the same way.
I have talked to the guy's at CC about this and they all tell me that they definatly tell the customer that it's a lease, my question is, BEFORE or AFTER they make the sale ???

Jimbo

I still don't get why everyone is hung up on the buy/sell/lease/own thing. I have some older D* units in my basement that I own. Isn't that great. Like it ever did me or anyone else any good to own them...

I still don't get why everyone is hung up on the buy/sell/lease/own thing. I have some older D* units in my basement that I own. Isn't that great. Like it ever did me or anyone else any good to own them...

I agree, it's not like they have some intrinsic value. I have a couple of deactivated DVRs and will probably pull out the hard drives to upgrade some older computers before trashing the boxes.

I agree, it's not like they have some intrinsic value. I have a couple of deactivated DVRs and will probably pull out the hard drives to upgrade some older computers before trashing the boxes.

I agree, I've got several old RCA 222's, a Sony HD 100, 2 D* H10's all collecting dust as they have no value to D* and they are no longer used with the current D* system, all of them owned .....

Jimbo

Jimbo

I was in our local BB a few days ago and noticed that all the D* boxes now have 4" X 6" white stickers on the boxes that clearly state that the box is leased from D*. No ifs, ands, or buts!

You'd have to be blind to miss it (to use one of Vurbano's favorite terms).

Sorry to dissapoint you but inorder for a "sale" or "purchase" to occur in the sense of the those words the other party has to "own" what is "sold". That simply is not the case and the mere fact that it is in question points to a dishonest or misleading situation for the consumer IMO. These retaiers need to replace the words "sale price" on the display and on the reciept with "upfront lease fee" and a contract should have to be signed IN THE STORE with the 24 month duration and termination fees in HUGE LETTERS!!! But that would slow down customer sign ups wouldnt it??? Its much easier just to sucker the customer in the store, have the installer make the customer sign a piece of paper saying the install is ok and in fine print that the customer agrees to all terms and then send the terms in the mail a week later. :haha :haha

I was in our local BB a few days ago and noticed that all the D* boxes now have 4" X 6" white stickers on the boxes that clearly state that the box is leased from D*. No ifs, ands, or buts!

You'd have to be blind to miss it (to use one of Vurbano's favorite terms).

Sorry to dissapoint you but inorder for a "sale" or "purchase" to occur in the sense of the those words the other party has to "own" what is "sold". That simply is not the case and the mere fact that it is in question points to a dishonest or misleading situation for the consumer IMO. These retaiers need to replace the words "sale price" on the display and on the reciept with "upfront lease fee" and a contract should have to be signed IN THE STORE with the 24 month duration and termination fees in HUGE LETTERS!!! But that would slow down customer sign ups wouldnt it??? Its much easier just to sucker the customer in the store, have the installer make the customer sign a piece of paper saying the install is ok and in fine print that the customer agrees to all terms and then send the terms in the mail a week later. :haha :haha

Actually V.
Like tds posted, The BB's are posting on the box that the units are leased and I believe that Costco's has the lease info posed above the rec's on display from the last time I was in there.
I will be going in there later today, not that it is our job to do anything about it. But I do mentionit at the local CC because they don't have it posted.
As for the lease time frame and details of the contract, your right the sub shoud be aware of this ahead of time.
btw, when the sub signs up at these places, that IS NOT the BINDING AGREEMENT, that only allows D* to get info to allow the installation group to come out.
Nothing is agreed upon with D* until you sign the contract at the time of the install.
No programming is decided upon or anything, they have until the D* installer shows up to change thier mind.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts