DIRECTV to Deliver Local HD Programming in 67 Markets by Year End

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Once again Directv over hypes there Local HD programming!

Well, I don't know about you guys but once again I've been disappointed by Directv over hype projections from there public relations department. 25 new markets with Local HD channels is starting to look like another cluster of lies.
DIRECTV will offer local HD broadcast networks in 67 markets, representing approximately 74 percent of U.S. TV households, by year end when it rolls out 25 more local HD markets in the fourth quarter.
Since the announcement in October a grand total of 4 local HD markets have been added and the projection of 25 markets by the end of year has been reduce to 12, accordinging to lastest press release produced by Directv
With the addition of these four markets, DIRECTV now offers local HD broadcast channels in 49 cities, representing more than 65 percent of U.S. TV households. DIRECTV plans to launch an additional eight HD local markets throughout the remainder of the year.
I would be surprised if they were right about the eight additional markets by the end of the year and what's up with the percentages they can't even get those right! Well I guess I won't be watching any of the Big Bowl games in HD this year. I can't wait to FOIS is available in the Norfolk area. I guarantee that will be my last day as a DTV customer, I look forward to it!!

Pay $300 for a HD box that is considered leased.
Force to use DVR boxes that is slower and featureless compared to it's TIVO counterpart.
Lied too on a constant basis, not very good!!:confused:

Since the announcement in October a grand total of 4 local HD markets have been added and the projection of 25 markets by the end of year has been reduce to 12, :

There is no way they are reaching that 12 markets goal either. A CSR told me that Buffalo will not go up unit mid January. I believe I have seen other people being told by CSRs that there markets, that were listed as next 12, are being pushed back as well.

Let's make this a little more factual:

DirecTV's press release from 10 October stated they'd have 67 markets by years end. At the time they had 42 markets available. Since that release, DirecTV has added:

Portland, OR; Madison, WI; and Reno, NV in October, and;
Grand Rapids, MI; Greensboro, NC; Providence, RI; and Green Bay, WI in November.

Seven markets have been added since the original announcement of 25 markets in early October, leaving 18 to go. Except that during the press releases of the last four markets in November, DirecTV has stated they will only add eight during the remainder of the year.

Those eight markets are listed on the DirecTV HD website.

I do not like the fact that DirecTV revised their planned market list downward. But it happens.
Tyrate said:
Well I guess I won't be watching any of the Big Bowl games in HD this year.
Well, most of the BCS is on FOX this year. FOX in Norfolk is owned by LIN Broadcasting. LIN does not have a contract with DirecTV. Even if Norfolk is added, it is most likely that it will not include FOX.

Then why are there HD camera's??? How do you "master" anything that was not shot with an HD camera??? They have to fill in the extra lines to make it of higher resolution some how. They up convert it, so they fill in the extra lines with the content of the lines before and after a certain line.

HD cameras film in higher resolutions, and non HD camera's which were standard before HD started taking off filmed in 480i.

When I say "film" I mean "video shot in". "Film" is the term most production studio's use when referring to "shooting" a movie, or show. That has been the term for over a century.
I guess I'm confused. Film predates the digital process. Film resolution, from what I understand, is about 4000 dpi. Isn't that about twice as good as 1920? So when you digitize film, aren't you downrezzing it from 4000 to 1920? So they aren't adding lines, they're removing dots to bring it down to 1920. Or maybe there's some process where the studio can get the full 4000 dpi digitized, but the best resolution we can receive it is still 1920x1080. VOOM doesn't remaster old TV shows into HD. That's impossible, unless they were shot on film originally.

And yeah, I know that most of the VOOM channels are sending at 1440 now. Even so, all the movies on Monsters and FilmFest look real good.

Last edited:
Well, I'm in one of those 8 cities listed as getting it this year (Jacksonville). Sure quiet on that front........

I guess I'm confused. Film predates the digital process. Film resolution, from what I understand, is about 4000 dpi. Isn't that about twice as good as 1920? So when you digitize film, aren't you downrezzing it from 4000 to 1920? So they aren't adding lines, they're removing dots to bring it down to 1920. Or maybe there's some process where the studio can get the full 4000 dpi digitized, but the best resolution we can receive it is still 1920x1080. VOOM doesn't remaster old TV shows into HD. That's impossible, unless they were shot on film originally.

And yeah, I know that most of the VOOM channels are sending at 1440 now. Even so, all the movies on Monsters and FilmFest look real good.

http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_lessons/sample_lesson_HD_vs_35mm.htm

http://www.cybercollege.com/filmtap.htm

RE: As for why market #XX isn't on the list, it can be a number of things.

My market is #39 and was supposed to be up nearly 2 months ago but got delayed because the local stations wouldn't sign contracts. Now I see we're on the list again so maybe they got their act together.

Your market may not be on the list for several reasons:
1) Not enough contracts signed. Especially if stations are owned by LIN.
2) Not enough satellite pentration in the area. Go for more subs elsewhere first.
3) Not enough spot beams to cover your area. In other words a smaller market near a large market might be able to fit their channels on the larger market's spot or between two nearby spots for larger markets. My market is a good example being sandwiched between Chicago and Detroit (Grand Rapids). But I see Flint, Mi is on the list too. Thus the Flint stations and Grand Rapids may go up on the same spot.

And there are other reasons too I'm sure.
What or who is "LIN"?

What or who is "LIN"?

LIN owns stations across the country. You will not find their hd channels anywhere but ota or on Comcast cable, so far. They will not bargain in good faith with cable companies, Directv or Dish.

DIRECTV to Deliver Local HD Programming in 67 Markets by Year End
Eighteen More Local HD Markets Named; Approximately 74 Percent of U.S. Television Homes will have Access to Local HD Channels from DIRECTV
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Oct 10, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Already leading the satellite TV industry in the delivery of local HD programming, DIRECTV will offer local HD broadcast networks in 67 markets, representing approximately 74 percent of U.S. TV households, by year end when it rolls out 25 more local HD markets in the fourth quarter.

Local news, sports and popular primetime programming from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC will be available in HD to customers who subscribe to any TOTAL CHOICE(R) programming package that offers local channels. There is no additional charge for local HD programming.

The 25 local markets to receive HD programming from DIRECTV include:

-- Albuquerque, N.M. -- Mobile, Ala.
-- Buffalo, N.Y. -- New Orleans
-- Des Moines, Iowa -- Norfolk, Va.
-- Flint, Mich. -- Oklahoma City, Okla.
-- Ft. Meyers, Fla. -- Portland, Me.
-- Grand Rapids, Mich. -- Providence, R.I.
-- Green Bay, Wisc. -- Reno, Nev.
-- Greensboro, N.C. -- Santa Barbara, Calif.
-- Greenville, S.C. -- Spokane, Wa.
-- Harrisburg, Pa. -- Springfield, Mo.
-- Jacksonville, Fla. -- Toledo, Ohio
-- Little Rock, Ark. -- Tulsa, Okla.
-- Madison, Wisc.

"With 67 markets receiving local HD channels from DIRECTV by year end, we've set the stage for our historic capacity expansion in 2007," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, Programming Acquisition, DIRECTV, Inc. "This will enable us to leapfrog the multichannel video industry in terms of the sheer volume of HD programming available to our customers. With more than 44 million homes projected to have HD TV sets next year, we expect to be the video provider of choice for those consumers, offering the best lineup of HD programming, including local broadcast networks, sports, special events, and national networks, as well as original and exclusive programming."

With the launch of two new satellites - DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 - in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 142 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as 42 HD local channel markets representing approximately 62 percent of U.S. TV households.

Customers can receive local HD channels by obtaining DIRECTV's H20 HD receiver or its new HR20 DIRECTV Plus HD DVR, which has the ability to record up to 50 hours of programming in the new MPEG4 transmission standard. DIRECTV is offering new customers who purchase a DIRECTV HD or HD DVR receiver a $100 mail-in rebate. (Limit one rebate per customer.) Existing customers are eligible for a $99 upgrade to the new H20 receiver and dish, plus $99 for each additional HD receiver.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 15.5 million customers through exclusive content, industry-leading customer service (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound; exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(TM). DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. DIRECTV is approximately 39 percent owned by News Corporation. For the most up-to-date information on the Company, please visit directv.com.

SOURCE: DIRECTV

DIRECTV, Inc.
Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683
rgmercer@directv.com

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=914114&highlight=

Suprise Suprise no HD locals in OKC and today is the last day of the year. Oh well another promise that didn't make it to fruition.

I'm in the Harrisburg/Lancaster area and don't have it yet either.

As of Dec. 1st , many of these locals that were scheduled to arrive were pushed
back .
Several CSR told me till late '07.

jimbo

I would have to imagine the impending NewsCorp/Liberty deal had something to do with the delays.

I would have to imagine the impending NewsCorp/Liberty deal had something to do with the delays.

yep, good call; that is the common sense and intelligent thing.

BUT the "Oh well another promise that didn't make it to fruition."

As always it is just absolutely ridiculous and factually wrong as well.

yep, good call; that is the common sense and intelligent thing.

BUT the "Oh well another promise that didn't make it to fruition."

As always it is just absolutely ridiculous and factually wrong as well.

How is that factually wrong when they are the ones that promised them by end of year in a public press release. Another "ridiculous" statement by charper. I am not complaining just wish they would stick to their word, that is all I am saying!!!

List all the other failures that will then make your statement correct.

"well another promise that didn't make it to fruition"

They follow through 99% of the time, and on time. So what are all the historical failures?

I am not complaining just wish they would stick to their word, that is all I am saying!!!

Only problem with your stastement is:
D* COULD easily stick to there word, except then you would NEVER hear ANYTHING that D* is going to be doing.
I would rather have some insight to what is going on, than no know ANYTHING of what is happening.
You would not know that these things were happening then you would not comlain when something does not make it on the perticular day they say it should.

However, they DID say it would be by the end of the year and yes you are correct, it did not happen.

Jimbo

Anyone have any updates on these new cities to have their MPEG-4 HD locals added? I'm interested in Buffalo.

As a matter of fact I do. Emailed D* a couple of days ago to get an update and received an email response this morning. This is what they had to say

"Thanks for writing. I’m very sorry to hear about the delay in getting your HD local channels. While it is true that some markets were pushed back due to us waiting for these 2 new satellites to get up and ready, that is not holding true for the Buffalo local market. As of this time we are showing that we are finalizing things and these channels will be available later this month." :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)