DirecTV to have 100 HD Channels by Christmas

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This whole thread is such Clintonesque double-speak and plausable deniability lies.

I'm sorry but it's pathetic how people hang onto any glimmer of hope from such a political statement.

Bleecchh.

Why would anyone want 100 HD chanels? I mean really folks, I counted somewhere on here before but I'll bet that I watch less than 50 of the channels provided to me by D*, E*, C* & OTA. Pretty funny but I got E* today so I could have 27 HD Channels ... 33 with LIL ;)

We all know I have been a D* loyalist forever, but that may have died when they quit letting REAL companies make their hardware. I must say (after a day) that my ViP211 is more likeable than the H20...

didnt read the whole thread...it is big.
anyway i talked to a cs in retention today and she said two things:
the 100 channels by xmas is not locals
all markets not rolled out with hd locals by xmas will have them done february
this may be old news and if so i am sorry, just saying what i was told. i got a great deal for a new hd dvr as well :)

aeneas3 said:
didnt read the whole thread...it is big.
anyway i talked to a cs in retention today and she said two things:
the 100 channels by xmas is not locals
all markets not rolled out with hd locals by xmas will have them done february
this may be old news and if so i am sorry, just saying what i was told. i got a great deal for a new hd dvr as well :)

I wish this was true, but I think you fell for the old CSR's actually know something trick. If there are no new satellites being lauched for D* until after February next year where are they getting the bandwidth? Remember, they need to shut down all PPV's and TNT-HD (or Universal-HD or HDNet) in order to provide just a few NFL Sunday Ticket HD games on Sundays.

hdtvtechno said:
isnt NFL Sunday Ticket HD over by Christmas... ?

Yea, so? You think D*'s going to keep all their PPV's shut down just to offer some more HD channels and loose the revenue? Even if they did, that gets them what, 7 or 8 HD channels not 100.

Well, fact is, D* IS launching a new satellite very soon. After several delays DirecTV 9S is finally a go for 10/12. It is supposed to be a backup satellite, but it has a KA payload too that could be used for MPEG4 HD. There has been discussion that either it or DirecTV 8 might be used to give us some national HD on a temporary basis until D*10 and 11 go up next year. Might be that all the silence we've been hearing from D* since the Murdoch statements could be due to them waiting until 9S is up and operational. I have also found it curious that all the usual suspects with D* contacts have been pretty quiet about this. Might be that they don't have any info to offer, but if it was flat-out wrong, I would think they would have said something by now. Anyway, this is all conjecture and speculation, but fun! Certainly more fun than waiting around until May or June of 2007 for new HD.

slacker9876 said:
We all know I have been a D* loyalist forever, but that may have died when they quit letting REAL companies make their hardware. I must say (after a day) that my ViP211 is more likeable than the H20...
Hmmm,
Are all the DISH receivers made here in the USA ????
I don't know, but I doubt it
Who are the NON real companies you are refering to ?

Jimbo

monetnj said:
Well, fact is, D* IS launching a new satellite very soon. After several delays DirecTV 9S is finally a go for 10/12. It is supposed to be a backup satellite, but it has a KA payload too that could be used for MPEG4 HD. There has been discussion that either it or DirecTV 8 might be used to give us some national HD on a temporary basis until D*10 and 11 go up next year. Might be that all the silence we've been hearing from D* since the Murdoch statements could be due to them waiting until 9S is up and operational. I have also found it curious that all the usual suspects with D* contacts have been pretty quiet about this. Might be that they don't have any info to offer, but if it was flat-out wrong, I would think they would have said something by now. Anyway, this is all conjecture and speculation, but fun! Certainly more fun than waiting around until May or June of 2007 for new HD.

It would be nice if it happened. But D* has said that the Ka on D9S was for backhaul. Another problem is that D9S is authorized for 101 and the Ka band LNB on the AT-9 is for 99 and 103 (at least that's what I've been able to find out on the net, PLEASE someone prove me wrong on this). Also, I don't how much work, if any, would be required for the STB to be modified to look for Ka band at 101 if the LNB can receive it. IMHO, all this buzz from D* CSR's might be so that folks hang in there just a bit longer before thinking about leaving D*, keep dragging them on folks until D10 goes up and we can make them happy.

rad said:
It would be nice if it happened. But D* has said that the Ka on D9S was for backhaul. Another problem is that D9S is authorized for 101 and the Ka band LNB on the AT-9 is for 99 and 103 (at least that's what I've been able to find out on the net, PLEASE someone prove me wrong on this). Also, I don't how much work, if any, would be required for the STB to be modified to look for Ka band at 101 if the LNB can receive it. IMHO, all this buzz from D* CSR's might be so that folks hang in there just a bit longer before thinking about leaving D*, keep dragging them on folks until D10 goes up and we can make them happy.

Yeah, I've read that too about the AT-9. There has also been some speculation that D9S might allow D* to move D*8 over to 99 or 103. Stringing us along would seem to be a self-defeating strategy in that it would just make users angry when it didn't come to fruition. That 6 month gap between Christmas and June is plenty of time to drop D* in favor of cable or E*. Would just be easier to tell us "nothing new until next year." Anyway, we should get our answer one way or another in the next few months.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)