DirecTV to have 100 HD Channels by Christmas

Status
Please reply by conversation.
(tongue in cheek)
Yes, but where; DirecTV or all companies combined. LOL, there isn't even 89 to add to what they have now? Was he talking national or locals; locals is my bet and then the quote was taken out of context? Could he possibly be posturing for his stock or do they have something sneaky up their sleeves for DirecTV 9s to add some national HD even though we all know it won't be 100 nationals?

He meant 2007 right? :p ;)

I think he was misquoted or referring to cumulative channels including HD LIL and RSNs. No way he adds that many national.

I wonder if they could add more nationals. Do the Spaceways have ability to conus and not just spotbeam? Interesting statement but just doesnt sound plausible.

This is news how?

0 national HD channels. 100 HD LiL channels. If Liberty Media gets DirecTV, they might figure out some way to squeeze in Starz HD.

aboz said:
100 HD channels? are there even 100 channels in existance? I can see 100 LIL HD channels.
Actually, there are 145 HD LiL channels and 2 full time RSNs on D* as of the 9/13 light-up of Memphis, Portland, OR and San Antonio.

Scott you know the 2 KA satellites are spotbeam so why do you post what you know is impossible? It would be nice but you know it is impossible to launch a KA satellite and get it turned over to D* before the end of the year.:haha :haha :haha

Per the usual discussions of rumors from D* around here... I will believe it, whenI see it. My HD LIL were supposed to be added in August... still have yet to see them.

With the bit rate they provide their "HD lite" channels.. it would not suprise me if they provided 100 letterbox SD channels and just labled them as HD> Nobody would probably tell the diiference.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I personally do not believe it, however this is what he said today at this conference.

it would SHOCK me, but I think he is not involved in day to day operations, and meant HDLIL. Also along with that thought I think it was just printed, maybe trying to mislead people, thats why it was just a short sentence. I would love to see 100 HD channels, but I dont think we are on track to SEE that many till 2009-2010 when more stations come online in HD, if then!

There is a better chnace of an mpeg 4 tivo and D* giving all of us $1,000,000 each by the end of the year.

Guys, D* will get 100 national HD channels by the end of the year, but you'll only be able to watch them five at a time, and you'll still lose TNTHD on sundays :)

juan said:
With the bit rate they provide their "HD lite" channels.. it would not suprise me if they provided 100 letterbox SD channels and just labled them as HD> Nobody would probably tell the diiference.

And then stretched them to "disguise" them as HD

Those are 100 channels of HD Locals like CBS,FOX,NBC,ABC not other major networks.. So do the math 25 plus states or more with 4 locals would be around 100 channels.. Just like when Direct and Dish add all 4 local channels in HD that would be 200 HD Channels. When all said done Dish still has the most HD Channels.. So overall a little misleading on Direct part they should say 100 Local HD Channels..

Last edited:
They could if they use the payload on DirecTV 8. We always wondered what they would do with it other then "backhaul" they said before. But yea, there are no 100 HD national channels today.

BUT....

If you offer all the RSN's that are in HD on a national basis as an "HD Sports Pak" type thing that's about 30-40 right there if not more. Add in Voom channels and all others that are available there would be around 75 or so, right?

Just saying....I don't believe it either unless they are going to put MPEG4 channels on the other half of DTV8.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts