DirecTV to Launch Significantly Viewed DMA service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What FCC document?

Indiana627 said:
I went to that FCC document and for my county (Niagara in NYS) it lists the Buffalo locals I already get plus 3 Canadian stations. When I go to the Directv site and put in my ZIP, it says there are no additional channels at this time. Will I get these Canadian channels? These Canadian channels are available on the local cable system (Adelphia). Thanks.

Mark

Maphisto's Sidekick said:
On the FCC Significantly Viewed list, the only SV stations for Lexington County are all out of the Columbia market. So, for you, SV means no new locals.

However, your neighbors over in Saluda County might be getting some new stations. There, WYFF (NBC 4, Greenville), WJBF (ABC 6, Augusta), WSPA (CBS 7, Greenville) and WRDW (CBS 12, Augusta) are all considered SV, and D* has the option of delivering those stations in addition to the Columbia locals.

The rule, in English, is, BTW: D* and E* are allowed to deliver stations that are local to you, as measured by Nielsen markets. If they are delivering locals, D* and E* may optionally deliver other broadcast stations in addition to your locals if the FCC has determined that those additional stations are "Significantly Viewed" in your community.

Congress wrote the law that limits D* and E* to offering stations in your market, plus the option of delivering SV stations if they're already providing locals.

The FCC is responsible for administering the SV list.

The FCC is technically responsible for defining markets, but they simply follow Nielsen.

So, if you think the LiL+SV rule is dumb, you need to sell that idea to Congress.

If you think a station is SV in your community, you need to contact the station and ask that they petition the FCC to be put on The List.

If you think that your county (or portion of a county) is incorrectly mapped to the wrong market, you need to convince Nielsen to redraw their maps.

Good luck trying to do any of those three things. :rolleyes:

I see..... Thanks for the reply.....

Indiana627 said:
I went to that FCC document and for my county (Niagara in NYS) it lists the Buffalo locals I already get plus 3 Canadian stations. When I go to the Directv site and put in my ZIP, it says there are no additional channels at this time. Will I get these Canadian channels? These Canadian channels are available on the local cable system (Adelphia). Thanks.
I doubt it. I'd expect that the change on 11/9 will be just to expand who gets the stations D* already carries.

moonman said:
You would do better to use the DNS tool to see if any stations are listed there, that you not yet receive..(Nov. 9th is the target date I think)
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp
I didn't realize that tool was back online. However, that's the URL to determine DNS eligibility...and it looks like it includes information needed to determine digital white areas.

However, that URL doesn't do anything about SV. The URL to see what's being offered in the way of SV will be http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/SvChannels.jsp ... and it's apparently not going to be populated until 11/9.

(Although I'd still love for someone with access to the dealer site to spill the beans. ;) )

Fgsilva said:
What FCC document?
The FCC document containing "The List" -- listing which stations are declared to be Significantly Viewed in which counties. Look at the prior page in the thread for a URL to a pdf on the FCC website.

Got it. thanks. for my area (el dorado county) it doesn't seem that I will get anything new.

I doubt it. I'd expect that the change on 11/9 will be just to expand who gets the stations D* already carries.

The FCC document containing "The List" -- listing which stations are declared to be Significantly Viewed in which counties. Look at the prior page in the thread for a URL to a pdf on the FCC website.

I didn't realize that tool was back online. However, that's the URL to determine DNS eligibility...and it looks like it includes information needed to determine digital white areas.

However, that URL doesn't do anything about SV. The URL to see what's being offered in the way of SV will be ... and it's apparently not going to be populated until 11/9.

(Although I'd still love for someone with access to the dealer site to spill the beans. ;) )

the pdf file on the fcc website comes up blank page and won`t open the pdf reader. have anybody else had any trouble open it.

I live in a dma not served (wheeling,wv/steubenville,oh) but I am also in the outskirts of the pittsburgh,pa dma. Does the Significantly Viewed mean that I can get Pittsburgh locals without "moving" into pennsylvania now?

i`ve got an email back from directv about the neighboring Local channels.

here is their response

the neighboring local channels, we are still working hard to get our systems ready to deliver neighboring local channels and to determine what markets will be receiving new channels, but it may take some time. Although there’s no set timetable right now, it’s possible that we'll be ready in some cities later this year. More information will be available on DIRECTV.com as it is announced. We appreciate your patience.

It's good news for:
  • Some individuals who wish they could get some of the out-of-market broadcast stations carried on local cable via D*
  • Some individuals who wish they could get local/regional news, weather, and sports from a nearby city's affiliate(s) rather than their FCC/Nielsen-prescribed affiliate(s), who also don't want to "move".
  • Some individuals who live in markets where the affiliate(s) take, shall we say, liberties with the network schedules.
  • "Movers" who identify more with nearby cities, but still would like to have at least one or two local-market stations for local weather, closings, etc.
  • Geeks like me. :D

• People in markets without network affiliates for the big four.
    (For instance, though DirecTV doesn't offer LIL for my area, Dish Network does, but only offers the affiliates for NBC, FOX and PBS. They offer an ABC and CBS from Atlanta (the ABC station is even available via cable), but you have to submit waivers, and though the closest ABC station is good (or at least used to be) about approving waivers for those outside their DMA, the ability to get CBS is zilch! Dish Network recently added WCTV, the CBS affiliate from the Tallahassee, FL DMA as "Significantly Viewed" in a lot of the DMA, but if you live in my county, you're still screwed (until Dish Network adds Columbus, GA LIL) if you want CBS (even though WCTV is carried on Cable in my county).

~Alan

how does this affect me? I can't get locals from directv currently but yet 2 miles to the east in pennsylvania they can get pittsburgh locals.

mikedz4 said:
how does this affect me? I can't get locals from directv currently but yet 2 miles to the east in pennsylvania they can get pittsburgh locals.

Then it doesn't affect you! I'm still waiting on LIL from DirecTV myself...

~Alan

then I guess i'll have to move back to my real address to get my hd tivo and hdtv antenna then "move" back over the border to get pittsburgh locals back.

"how does this affect me? I can't get locals from directv currently but yet 2 miles to the east in pennsylvania they can get pittsburgh locals."

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. This is a terrible area in Pennsylvania to live for satellite. It's no fun being in the 8% of D* customers who aren't in a market.

Another New Haven County person here. Please clearify if and when we receive our NY channels, will we also be receiving the NY HD signal?

that is the big question, will we gat the nyc HD feed? no one seems to know

I too had this question. However, when I "lived" in Fairfield county, I was able to get the WNYW (Fox East) feed in HD on channel 88. Just in time for last years baseball post-season.

So Im hopeful that we'll have access to it once the SV locals come into play.

-Chris

hey what would this do for me. D* does not currently offer locals, but according to the info on here, and from Nielsen DMA info, I should be getting locals soon. Is there a way to check weather I will be getting St. Louis locals or the distant locals when this goes into effect.

chrisexv6 said:
I too had this question. However, when I "lived" in Fairfield county, I was able to get the WNYW (Fox East) feed in HD on channel 88. Just in time for last years baseball post-season.

So Im hopeful that we'll have access to it once the SV locals come into play.

-Chris

This has to do with the fact that Fairfield County is in the NYC DMA. You actually should have gotten all of the NY HD channels. :)

As for the digital channels and SV, nobody really knows yet. Cable hasn't historically been able to offer this, because having 2 HD affiliates on a system makes no sense.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the DBS companies implement this as part of SV, and the Cable Co's (and/or the NAB) sue to block it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)