DirecTV to Launch Significantly Viewed DMA service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Directv DSN Eligibility Website Response

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I just tried the directv dsn eligilbility website and received the following: :)

Standard Distant Network Service

- Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area :confused:

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service

Network Affiliate Channel Status
ABC WTNH-DT 8 Grade A (strong signal)
CBS WFSB-DT 3 Grade A (strong signal)
WCBS-DT 2 Grade B (moderate signal) :)
FOX WTIC-DT 61 Grade A (strong signal)
NBC WVIT-DT 30 Grade A (strong signal)

However, it goes on to say:

If there are affiliates listed on the left with a status of Grade A or Grade B, you will need a waiver from the listed affiliate(s) before we can offer you that network. AFFILIATES RARELY GRANT A WAIVER FOR GRADE A SIGNALS. Much of the time, waiver requests for Grade B signals are not granted by affiliates either. :D

In addition, it sounds like even if I DO receive a waiver, I will need to pay $1.50 a month for the channel. :D :D :D

confused said:
Not sure if this helps anyone, but I just tried the directv dsn eligilbility website and received the following: :)

Standard Distant Network Service

- Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area :confused:

However, it goes on to say:

If there are affiliates listed on the left with a status of Grade A or Grade B, you will need a waiver from the listed affiliate(s) before we can offer you that network. AFFILIATES RARELY GRANT A WAIVER FOR GRADE A SIGNALS. Much of the time, waiver requests for Grade B signals are not granted by affiliates either. :D

In addition, it sounds like even if I DO receive a waiver, I will need to pay $1.50 a month for the channel. :D :D :D

In any area that has local channels and you request a waiver and it is granted, there will be no increase to get that feed that you were granted.

confused said:

Look closely at those results. They are the results for Analog broadcasts. Even though it looks like it, they have not yet implemented a Digital Signal Strength determination method. Hint: Compare the analog channel number to the digital channel number!
If you have the HD package, there is no charge for just the Digital DNS! :cool: They are charging me $1.50 for SD NBC DNS(and I have SD LIL)! :eek:
....jc

Alan Gordon said:
That's not exactly true, since some people only have the single LNB dish, and some markets require a Phase III dish. There are also some markets that are on 72.5, and the customer would need a second dish to receive those SV channels.

What is being said, which is very plausible, is that DirecTV doesn't want to have to go out and replace some people's single LNB dish with a Phase III dish, and then have to go out a few month's later and install one of the new DirecTV 5-LNB dishes (AT9).

Of course, that doesn't have much to do with the people who need a 72.5 dish until DirecTV 9s is launched since that's probably where the 72.5 locals will be moved to once it's in operation.

Also, why DirecTV would worry about having to replace someone's single LNB dish (who more than likely doesn't have HD) with a new AT9 dish a short time after DirecTV gives them a Phase III dish, I don't know...

~Alan
I already have a phase III dish

when is directv going to launch significantly viewed locals? Dish network already has significantly viewed locals in about 6 or 7 cities and directv hasn't even announced any plans yet.

The boards have fallen silent on this issue since Dtv let the November 8 date go by -- does anyone have any information on this?

It's more than annoying for us, too... trust me. :)

I'm hoping if there's no news by then, we can get some answers at CES.

Over a month past the original date and nothing! :mad: Guess the whole deal has been put to sleep???:eek:

Scott Greczkowski said:
DirecTV is getting ready to launch Significantly Viewed DMA service. These significantly viewed DMA's will be made available to customers on November 9th, 2005.
For example folks in New Haven, CT will be able to watch NYC locals as well as the Hartford / New Haven Locals.
For more details SatelliteGuys.US is proud to give you the first look at DirecTV's Significantly Viewed DMA Plans, please see the PDF below for all the details released to date!
Thanks for being a SatelliteGuys Member!

hancox said:
It's more than annoying for us, too... trust me. :)
I'm hoping if there's no news by then, we can get some answers at CES.

You must have missed this. :)

I am also curious about this as well. Growing up I am used to watching Boston locals as well as the Providence/New Bedford locals. R.I. is such a small state that Boston is considered local,but not according to the DMA?????

maybe directv is thinking we'll forget about significantly viewed channels? I also noticed no news on the channel as a whole front.

Ask a CSR at Directv about "Significantly Viewed" and they won't have any idea of what you're talking about.

Maphisto's Sidekick said:
The SV provision of SHIVERA allows DBS operators to offer certain out-of-market locals via satellite in the generally the same manner that they are today allowed to offer locals.
The catch is that the list of which out-of-market stations may be delivered is governed by a list of SV stations published by the FCC.
For Dearborn (Wayne County), no Toledo stations appear on the SV list. So, D* can still only offer just the Detroit locals to Dearborn subscribers.
However, in Monroe County, WTOL (CBS 11), WTVG (ABC 13), WNWO (NBC 24), and WUPW (Fox 36) are on the SV list, so D* has the option of delivering those stations via satellite to subscribers in that county in addition to the Detroit locals.

How about Belleville (Wayne Co.)? :)

I think that DirecTV is slowly implementing SV stations in some of the more critical markets. Take for example the Florence/Myrtle Beach market. They do not have an NBC station, and have traditionally got NBC from powerhouse WIS in Columbia. However, if you punch in a Myrtle Beach zip code, WIS shows up as the official NBC station.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts