DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Stuff I would watch on ESPN+
Everyone is different.

I have it for the NHL Season (basically every game) and the picture is so much better for MNF then Traditional Providers, game is in 1080P (720P on it’s cable channel ) and in DD+ sound.

Steaming service is basically free with the Hulu Commercial Free, Disney+, ESPN Bundle at $19.99 a month.

Everyone is different.

I have it for the NHL Season (basically every game) and the picture is so much better for MNF then Traditional Providers, game is in 1080P (720P on it’s cable channel ) and in DD+ sound.

Steaming service is basically free with the Hulu Commercial Free, Disney+, ESPN Bundle at $19.99 a month.
You could just use yahoo tv for the same thing

You could just use yahoo tv for the same thing
Yahoo TV has MNF in 1080P, every Red Wing game and a app on my Roku so I can watch it on my TV?

Stuff I would watch on ESPN+
Thats your choice. Like Bruce I have ESPN+ for the NHL games but I also subscribe mainly for the football games that are not on the "all mighty" :rolleyes: ESPN. I like watching the FCS football games. Love the Big Sky conference and North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota and South Dakota State (almost all their games are on ESPN+). The Canadian Football League early season but really fun in the late season when there is bad weather :)

ESPN giving us MNF games on ESPN+ is a nice bonus. Do I give a rat's patoot if I dont get ALL the games? Not really as I care about the Vikings and their games are always on local TV even if they are on ESPN (those games are locally shown). Sure I could change my Sling package to get the ESPN & ESPN2 along with 4 other Disney owned stations but it's not worth the $15 upgrade. (actually it would be $19 as the sports pack is $11 if you have Blue or Orange and $15 if you have both)

Oh my I'm missing all the Thursday Night games since I don't have Amazon Prime. Eh my life will go on just fine.

Of course they split it, since you get your locals with Sat./Cable already.
Yes, and streaming got a “plurality” not a win. And summer is over. As I said, if such numbers were available 20 years ago, Blockbuster probably beat linear TV in the dead of summer. NBD.
But for those who stream only, OTA is the only way for them to get their locals.
Umm, you do not understand the survey. OTA counts as OTA, whether you get those channels via cable, DBS, a linear streamer or actual OTA. NBC, et al, are always “OTA”, ESPN, et al, are always “cable”.
But the point of that survey is more and more people are turning to streaming first because the newer/better content is there.
In July and August.
And yet they keep putting more content on plus like MNF, which you said would not happen.
What I said was linear ESPN will NEVER be sold a la carte. Checked this morning, still right.
Ok, what is your magnificent plan to stop the losses and start to gain back subscribers to Traditional Paid Live TV?
I do not have one. Not all problems, in business or anything else, have an answer. See Blockbuster, above, for an example. Times change and there are winners and losers in a new paradigm.

Previously “everybody” had cable (or its equivalent) and thus “everybody” paid for sports. And sports costs way more than the ratings justify (which is to say, a customer pays way more for ESPN or FS1 than they do for, say the Discovery Channel or FX or whatever).

It was the system. 99% of people had no real choices, 2 X DBS or cable, all of which had the sports. Now DISH doesn’t even have the RSNs, nor does most linear streaming deals. And of course those who don’t like sports at all, can opt totally out and just watch streaming. That is more people than you think. (Here is where the term “self-selection” comes into play vis potential customers).

The answer? What was the answer for Blockbuster? For the proverbial buggy whip maker?

What I am seeing in the industry is a kind of “re-bundling”. Different sports tossed into the mix on streamers with no other similar content, PLUS being tossed in what I call “general rerun channels” (TNT, TBS, USA etc) PLUS linear ESPN, FS1, et al, PLUS ESPN+ PLUS some source (I live close enough to get it free, not everyone does) of the OTA networks.

That is a lot. A la carte is anti-consumer. Said that 20 years ago, still believe it.

So a sports fan is looking at paying for 5 to 8 streaming services, which there very well be no other content on it he wants, plus linear TV and ESPN+. And a non-sports fan cannot opt out of sports as today, as most all steamers now have expensive sports content which he may have, as with all the sports on cable 10 years ago, no real interest in.

Oh, and BTW

CBS got just over 27M for the most watched slot of the week. If you look at the Fox ratings (which are a combined national rating of those Fox stations that had a game at 1 and those at 4, and understand that about 20% of those ratings are from 4 pm games, we get to 30M.

Just like most every week. Not 120M, 30M. Which is why a buy rate of 99% of people that watch the “free” game is just not going to happen.

Speaking of RSNs, looks like things are about to get interesting. Sinclair's Diamond Sports subsidiary took on a ton of debt to acquire all those former Fox Sports RSNs (now branded Bally Sports) and apparently they can't shoulder it. Reports are that they're getting ready to sell them off. Many observers have predicted that Diamond will end up in bankruptcy, so any potential buyers may wait it out until they get more desperate in hopes of buying at fire sale prices.

I really think this is why only 5 MLB teams opted into the Bally Sports+ DTC service. The MLB knew they were going to fail. What I suspect will end up happening is that a majority of MLB teams will opt into a league-wide DTC in-market service offered through the same app that already sells their out-of-market access (MLB.tv) while a few of the biggest, richest teams (e.g. Yankees, Cubs) go their own way with their own individually branded apps for in-market DTC.

Yeah. I've been saying for a few years that sports, like most other first-run premium entertainment content, will mainly end up being sold directly to consumers by the studios that produce/own the content. And in the case of sports, the "studios" are the leagues/teams themselves, e.g. MLB, NBA, NHL. IDK, it's possible that the NHL, and maybe even NBA, follow the MLS's lead and get a major distributor to exclusively outsource the running of the DTC service to. But given the existence already of DTC out-of-market services/apps for MLB and NBA, I see them also handling their DTC in-market customers too. (NHL used to run their own DTC out-of-market app but then licensed that content exclusively to ESPN+ starting either last or this season.)

Pursuant to my earlier posts above about the Bally Sports RSNs ending up as DTC services from the leagues (MLB, NBA, NHL) themselves, here's the latest scoop:

Sinclair mulls Bally Sports sale to MLB, NBA, NHL - report

Pursuant to my earlier posts above about the Bally Sports RSNs ending up as DTC services from the leagues (MLB, NBA, NHL) themselves, here's the latest scoop:

Sinclair mulls Bally Sports sale to MLB, NBA, NHL - report
The RSNs are at stage four of a disease that all sports content channels have. This is ESPN’s future.

There is no clear answer. Again, not that long ago “everybody” had the RSN, whether they wanted it or not, and paid, and paid a lot, for it. And if you wanted the out of market games, these were a supplement, because you already had cable or dish and thus already had the home RSN.

Now we have two groups. The first clearly has no answer. If you don’t like sports at all, you opt out via streaming only and watch your melodramas.

The second is the problem. The bandwagon or geographically displaced fan. It is far easier and cheaper to follow any team, except the one in your area. That cannot work The Braves/Cubs did great damage with a similar deal a generation ago. It simply cannot be easier for a kid in Kansas to be a Red Sox fan than a Royals fan.

What I see happening is a MUCH more expensive mlb.tv, with the local teams included. There are a lot of issues, including the much less further down this path large market teams, and the MASSIVE over-broad claims to be the local team by most every team, but these have to be worked out.

Reactions: AZ.
The RSNs are at stage four of a disease that all sports content channels have. This is ESPN’s future.

There is no clear answer. Again, not that long ago “everybody” had the RSN, whether they wanted it or not, and paid, and paid a lot, for it. And if you wanted the out of market games, these were a supplement, because you already had cable or dish and thus already had the home RSN.

Now we have two groups. The first clearly has no answer. If you don’t like sports at all, you opt out via streaming only and watch your melodramas.

The second is the problem. The bandwagon or geographically displaced fan. It is far easier and cheaper to follow any team, except the one in your area. That cannot work The Braves/Cubs did great damage with a similar deal a generation ago. It simply cannot be easier for a kid in Kansas to be a Red Sox fan than a Royals fan.

What I see happening is a MUCH more expensive mlb.tv, with the local teams included. There are a lot of issues, including the much less further down this path large market teams, and the MASSIVE over-broad claims to be the local team by most every team, but these have to be worked out.
Go back to the 70s and 80s and put the games on OTA where they belong

OTA would be fine with me. With the “netlet” channels, there is enough space for everyone, even in small markets, to get every game.

It would not be fine, however, with the owners and the players. The cost of an RSN is really high, a big part of a cable bill. That money goes straight into the players’ pockets.

OTA would be fine with me. With the “netlet” channels, there is enough space for everyone, even in small markets, to get every game.

It would not be fine, however, with the owners and the players. The cost of an RSN is really high, a big part of a cable bill. That money goes straight into the players’ pockets.
Oh yes and those poor owner dont get a thing right?..........

Without players you dont have a game!

Gee, no comments on the strong Amazon TNF ratings? I must be on ignore from more people than I thought.
I knew it would have good numbers.

With 13 million streaming it ( and 11 million streaming the Super Bowl just 7 months ago) and no issues, should show everyone that Sunday Ticket will do just fine when it leaves DirecTV.

10 Million ST subscribers is a few million less then Prime subs watching TNF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.