DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Its not just directv in trouble
What is happening to Bally’s/Diamond/Sinclair now with rights issues and the upcoming bankruptcy will soon be happening to all RSNs.

Just 8 years ago, 100 Million Households subscribed to Live Pay TV and the majority of them were paying per sub fees to the RSN.

Now it is under 48 Million ( 20 million have services that do not have the RSNs, like Dish), with the high rights fees and advertising down because of less people watching Live TV and the exodus from Live TV is increasing ( less per sub fees), there is not a bright future.

Cannot dispute the math.

I thought the Sinclair/Bally/Diamond issues were somewhat unique… Sinclair overpaid for the old Fox RSNs when Disney was forced to sell. They are now having trouble making loan payments.

Is there any reason to believe this is moving beyond Sinclair?

NBC/Comcast, AT&T, and Spectrum seem to be the other RSN owners out there. Is there any indication about their financial health?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the Sinclair/Bally/Diamond issues were somewhat unique… Sinclair overpaid for the old Fox RSNs when Disney was forced to sell. They are now having trouble making loan payments.

NBC/Comcast, AT&T, and Spectrum seem to be the other RSN owners out there. Is there any indication about their financial health?
The loss of per sub fees will affect them also, NBC is still on YTTV, but I assume that is just until the contract runs out because ,I believe, they are the last RSNs on there.

Live Pay TV is expected to drop another 12 million subs within 2 years, so if only 48 million are paying for the RSNs, another 12 million drop means only 36 million are paying the per sub fees, not just the RSNs, but ESPN will be really feeling it by then, every 6 million drop is about $700 million in per sub fees lost for a year for ESPN, include the 32 million gone already, not a good outlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably to google

What is happening to Bally’s/Diamond/Sinclair now with rights issues and the upcoming bankruptcy will soon be happening to all RSNs.

Just 8 years ago, 100 Million Households subscribed to Live Pay TV and the majority of them were paying per sub fees to the RSN.

Now it is under 48 Million ( 20 million have services that do not have the RSNs, like Dish), with the high rights fees and advertising down because of less people watching Live TV and the exodus from Live TV is increasing ( less per sub fees), there is not a bright future.

Cannot dispute the math.
I bet if they didn't Charge as much .... there'd be More People watching it.

You can't do Sport without being LIVE.

While the core package will probably be priced the same in the $300 range, there will likely be other offerings this fall. As a result of moving to a digital platform – a huge difference in itself from satellite – some of the changes, according to Rolapp, could include:
  • A lower-cost, stripped-down version
  • The ability to watch multiple games at one time
  • Interactive features
  • The one item that doesn’t seem as if it will be available – at least not this upcoming season – is just buying only a fans’ favorite teams games.
There is a lot of room for YouTube and the NFL innovate — and they plan to do it.

YouTube TV bringing long-awaited changes to ‘NFL Sunday Ticket’

The Marchand and Ourand podcast, which is the basis of the article, is well worth listening to. Pretty much every week.

There is some spin, but Rolapp seems to be honest most of time. Including (off-topic) admitting that it doesn't really matter which announcers work which games. He also, correctly IMHO (off-topic) says that "while all gamblers are NFL fans, not all NFL fans are gamblers". That is true and the ability to add or subtract gambling discussions, while a few years off, is something to think about.

As to the different ideas.

Multiple games on one screen. Duh. Its YouTube. They can put up whatever they want. If someone wants Detroit, Phoenix and Jacksonville, then they put up a channel with that. If someone else wants Chicago, Detroit and Kansas City, then they have another channel with that. Its not hard.

Low cost version. How? There is no real division in the NFL that makes sense. AFC home games? NFC home games? 1:00 games? 4:00 games? Teams over .500? Teams wearing white jerseys at home? Teams with an SEC quarterback? Just don't see it.

Individual teams? I don't think the NFL nor YouTube wants to go there. A number (I don't know what, my guess would be 25%) of ST buyers are fans of a geographically illogical team, who are willing to pay for the whole deal to get "their" team. Why would you offer those people a discount? For the NFL owners, it is the Lebanese census deal. You really don't want to know the answer. A lot of teams really don't want it known how few fans they actually have outside their home markets.

Interactive features. Amazon has that. Don't care.

Reactions: AZ.
"YouTube we’ll be adding new features specific to the Sunday Ticket experience, like comments, chats, polls, and so on" OH BOY!!! So I can watch a game and see comments from people who don't have a life. Wonderful. And chat with people who are very very lonely. Why didn't Directv think of this?

Reactions: Juan
Sounds like stuff you wouldn't be forced to do, don't see the big deal.

You're posting on a message board about a service providing a way to post messages and because they do they must be very, very lonely or don't have a life?

Maybe rethink that one.

Reactions: comp9
Sounds like stuff you wouldn't be forced to do, don't see the big deal.

You're posting on a message board about a service providing a way to post messages and because they do they must be very, very lonely or don't have a life?

Maybe rethink that one.
So you think viewers want the ability to chat during Sunday Ticket? OK. Like the chats during a Rocket Launch and the Flat Earthers jump in with "facts". Youtube is bad enough for allowing disinformation. We don't need these clowns coming in with a "chat" during a football game about how to make money with Crypto etc.

Reactions: That American Girl
So you think viewers want the ability to chat during Sunday Ticket? OK. Like the chats during a Rocket Launch and the Flat Earthers jump in with "facts". Youtube is bad enough for allowing disinformation. We don't need these clowns coming in with a "chat" during a football game about how to make money with Crypto etc.

They're already chatting. It's called Twitter, among other things like... Satelliteguys! So guess you're applying all those labels to you and I too?

Reactions: comp9
They're already chatting. It's called Twitter, among other things like... Satelliteguys! So guess you're applying all those labels to you and I too?
Well, one thing that really upset me about the NFL Sunday Ticket when Directv had it wasn't so much the price but not having the ability to talk about it online during the game. Thankfully Youtube is going to address this problem.

While the core package will probably be priced the same in the $300 range, there will likely be other offerings this fall. As a result of moving to a digital platform – a huge difference in itself from satellite – some of the changes, according to Rolapp, could include:
  • A lower-cost, stripped-down version
  • The ability to watch multiple games at one time
  • Interactive features
  • The one item that doesn’t seem as if it will be available – at least not this upcoming season – is just buying only a fans’ favorite teams games.
There is a lot of room for YouTube and the NFL innovate — and they plan to do it.

YouTube TV bringing long-awaited changes to ‘NFL Sunday Ticket’
It would be nice if they come up with a package for the teams a sub wants to watch without paying for em all.

Listen to the Marchand and Ourand podcast and no evidence at all they will be offering a single-team option. Also if they did look at the price of the single-team Option for MLB. It's only $20 less. If NFL Plus is any indication of what they will do, you're all going to be very unhappy. NFL Plus now charges for content that used to be free and you can only watch it on your phone or tablet

Listen to the Marchand and Ourand podcast and no evidence at all they will be offering a single-team option. Also if they did look at the price of the single-team Option for MLB. It's only $20 less. If NFL Plus is any indication of what they will do, you're all going to be very unhappy. NFL Plus now charges for content that used to be free and you can only watch it on your phone or tablet

NFL+ is largely just a repackaged Game Pass. The equivalent of a single-team sub compared to a $300 package using MLB as a template would make it over $250 still.

Not sure who you're really talking to with the last bit, unless they come out significantly more expensive than DirecTV's offering it'll be a relative bargain compared to the costs involved to get it via satellite.

As for how they pay (aka the things we complain about when we're really reaching, because who really cares), it's a bit more complex than that, between the blanket fee and additional kickers based on YTTV signups and whatnot. That's why the annual cost to Youtube is an average / estimate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.