DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How much would they charge for it?
I don't know why there's a need to calculate a profit based on what is paid for broadcasting rights. Especially for a goliath the size of Amazon.

I've read a couple articles that claim Amazon might not charge anything over the Prime membership charge for ST if they were to get it. That's may not be realistic, but it also wouldn't shock me if that was to happen. How many more Prime memberships would they sell, and how much profit would be made from purchases by those new members?

If Bezos and crew didn't think that adding ST to their lineup wasn't a wise move they wouldn't be putting their hat in the ring.

I don't know why there's a need to calculate a profit based on what is paid for broadcasting rights. Especially for a goliath the size of Amazon.

I've read a couple articles that claim Amazon might not charge anything over the Prime membership charge for ST if they were to get it. That's may not be realistic, but it also wouldn't shock me if that was to happen. How many more Prime memberships would they sell, and how much profit would be made from purchases by those new members?

If Bezos and crew didn't think that adding ST to their lineup wasn't a wise move they wouldn't be putting their hat in the ring.
More than likely Bezo Likes the NFL, so he may go after the ST.

I don't think Amazon will get all that many NEW subs just because they have the ST (if that happens) ... those that want Amazon Prime, mostly have it already .... the ST would just be another perk.
Wait till those AP subs see what they want to watch the ST ... It will start around $200 on top of the AP and go up from there ... I hope I'm wrong.

Funny how they talk about subscriber loss but they never talk about how many return once there streaming service has a price hike :shh
Considering the total subscribers numbers keep going down, not that many.

And Traditional Providers would need to have a Price Freeze for at least 5 years for YTTV to catch up, along with not charging for DVR, boxes, etc.

Reactions: John2021
Considering the total subscribers numbers keep going down, not that many.

And Traditional Providers would need to have a Price Freeze for at least 5 years for YTTV to catch up, along with not charging for DVR, boxes, etc.
True!!! Spectrum just raised the broadcast fee to 21.00 a month boxes went up to 9.99 a month

They really are all shooting themselves the foot, including the networks. Eventually we will hit a wall that people will refuse to pay.
That wall was hit a few years ago, based on the sub numbers... and the fact younger people aren't sub'ing in the first place.

Reactions: Jimbo and jerryez
That wall was hit a few years ago, based on the sub numbers... and the fact younger people aren't sub'ing in the first place.
Yep, my kids are a good example, grew up with You Tube, Netflix, itunes and the likes, now they care nothing about Live TV.

Also, they would rather spend the money on Coffee, Cell Phone Bills, Broadband rather then Live TV.

Yep, my kids are a good example, grew up with You Tube, Netflix, itunes and the likes, now they care nothing about Live TV.

Also, they would rather spend the money on Coffee, Cell Phone Bills, Broadband rather then Live TV.
Except, we already spend our money on those, as well as TV.

Nothing really new here, but PFT reported on the future of NFLST:

It started as a satellite service. It will become, as of 2023, a full-blown streaming service. Which means that one of the obvious streaming companies with the infrastructure to do it right will end up getting the contract.​
Recent reports have suggested that the winning bidder could pay as much as $7.5 billion per year, three times the current DirecTV rate. We’ve been unable to nail down that number. It’s quite possible that, in the end, the league will have to choose between maximizing revenue and maximizing audience reach.​
It’s also unclear whether the package will continue to consist of one option — buy it all, or buy none of it. There has been talk of a more flexible approach, with consumers able to buy packages tailored to a specific team or a specific weekend.​
However it’s structured, it will be a streaming service, first and foremost. Although it seemed possible that the NFL would retain DirecTV as the satellite provider and sell the streaming rights to a tech company, it now appears (per a source with knowledge of the dynamics) that the league will sell the whole package to a tech company, which then may break off satellite rights to be sold only to consumers (typically, very rural) who lack access to the kind of Internet service needed for reliable streaming. That could be DirecTV, it could be Dish Network, it could be both, and it could be neither.​
Regardless, Sunday Ticket will, as of 2023, fully enter the new reality of streaming-based TV consumption.​

Looking forward to the innovations that can be enabled by the product being streaming-first.

Reactions: cosmo_kramer
At $7.5 billion, that be slightly more than 1/3 the income from the Directv subs! 15 million subs at $116 a month per sub. $7.5 billion seems well out of reach for Directv, so maybe they do just get broadcast rights for Sat TV. I would never see Dish getting in on this.

By coincidence, those numbers are about the same for Amazon, just thinking about Prime membership, 148 million at $150 a year (so umm... who doesn't have Amazon Prime?). I think, Amazon Prime is a loss leader, but their cloud business is huge, billions is absorbable. But why pay through the eyeballs to get Thursday Night football if you planned on hitting hard for Sunday Ticket?

Disney seems quite happy with overpaying for sports produce again, which could also explain how NBC kept the EPL as Disney had their eyes on the NFL which would bring in a lot more eyeballs, and they could afford it. I don't think Netflix could as well. Ultimately, I can't imagine this just being handed free to ESPN+ subs or Amazon Prime subs, that'd be reckless!

At the asking price that high, I don't think there are many suitors to inspect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.