DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Recent reports have suggested that the winning bidder could pay as much as $7.5 billion per year, three times the current DirecTV rate. We’ve been unable to nail down that number. It’s quite possible that, in the end, the league will have to choose between maximizing revenue and maximizing audience reach.​

I believe this site is wrong on the pricing, everything I have read has been at $2.5 Billion a year, so a 3 year contract would be $7.5 billion
It’s also unclear whether the package will continue to consist of one option — buy it all, or buy none of it. There has been talk of a more flexible approach, with consumers able to buy packages tailored to a specific team or a specific weekend.​

Depending on pricing, if you can get one team for $99 or all teams for $199, I would pay the extra.
However it’s structured, it will be a streaming service, first and foremost. Although it seemed possible that the NFL would retain DirecTV as the satellite provider and sell the streaming rights to a tech company, it now appears (per a source with knowledge of the dynamics) that the league will sell the whole package to a tech company,​
Been saying this for awhile, AT&T/ DirecTV has been losing $600-800 million a year on NFLST, since only 2 Million subscribe ( and how many are giveaways) to it, they must feel like subscriber loss will be minimal.

How could it be worse, DirecTV has already lost about 7 million in the last 6 years.

which then may break off satellite rights to be sold only to consumers (typically, very rural) who lack access to the kind of Internet service needed for reliable streaming. That could be DirecTV, it could be Dish Network, it could be both, and it could be neither.​
Rural Broadband will be a lot different by the NFLST is up on a streaming provider, at a minimum they will have Star Link available, the infrastructure plan should help with access also.

And again, NFLST has only 2 million subs ( do not know how many pay), if you do the standard population count-80/20 urban/rural, that is only 200,000 rural customers, they if half of that 200,000 get good broadband, that is only 100,000, is that enough subs for a Sat. Provider and make money.
Regardless, Sunday Ticket will, as of 2023, fully enter the new reality of streaming-based TV consumption.​

Looking forward to the innovations that can be enabled by the product being streaming-first.
And I still believe Amazon will be the best suited for NFLST, over 150 million Prime Subs, they can handle both Residential and Businesses with Amazon Business.

And I still believe Amazon will be the best suited for NFLST, over 150 million Prime Subs, they can handle both Residential and Businesses with Amazon Business.
Amazon Business for bars?
and even with say Amazon Business for some thing like buffalo wild wings no no each site needs it's own account (maybe at the root / domain level) / login for tv.

Directv has bulk deals for things like that but each site is still billed on it's size or number of rooms and there are differnt local rsn fees as well.

What is Amazon plans for TNF for Businesses? They may want to stop some from an haveing an Residential plan to show it at an bar.

They will be doing well to get more than the current $1.5 billion Directv was paying, which they were losing money on. Not a chance in hell anyone would be willing to pay $7.5 billion. I'd be surprised if they can even get a third of that.

Reactions: AZ.
Lets see
20 million viewers a week
Of those
19 million watch local games on satellite,cable or streaming with local channels

7.8 billion for 1 million viewers seems excessive

Nobody really streams the NFL...CRICKET is a very very streamable sport
The NFL was not really offered as a streaming option except as a shared broadcast, that will now change next season when Amazon has the exclusive rights to TNF.

Then the following Season for NFLST since it looks to go streaming only, which is based on the news yesterday.

The NFL was not really offered as a streaming option except as a shared broadcast, that will now change next season when Amazon has the exclusive rights to TNF.

Then the following Season for NFLST since it looks to go streaming only, which is based on the news yesterday.
I wonder how many people like me live rural and have Direct just for sports and NFL football.....Sundays are the worst days for streaming lucky to get 3 to 4 meg download speeds......We have friends over every Sunday have some food and drink some beers.........If it streams only I wont waist the money or aggravation.

Amazon Business for bars?
and even with say Amazon Business for some thing like buffalo wild wings no no each site needs it's own account (maybe at the root / domain level) / login for tv.

Directv has bulk deals for things like that but each site is still billed on it's size or number of rooms and there are differnt local rsn fees as well.

What is Amazon plans for TNF for Businesses? They may want to stop some from an haveing an Residential plan to show it at an bar.
Who says Amazon would operate ST like DirecTV did?

As for TNF: They're not going to charge Prime members more for TNF, why charge businesses? I wonder if Amazon will do a similar advertising strategy that the traditional networks employ for the Super Bowl; inject a lot of commercials to hype their own programming and services.

Its not necessary..
All games except thursday are on TV
Only people who want it are mostly gamblers and people who want out of market games

A few businesses and bars as such too

If it was exclusively online with no OTA
Maybe

I wonder how many people like me live rural and have Direct just for sports and NFL football.....Sundays are the worst days for streaming lucky to get 3 to 4 meg download speeds......We have friends over every Sunday have some food and drink some beers.........If it streams only I wont waist the money or aggravation.
No offense but they do not care, the NFL only wants that 2 billion dollars check.

Also, do not blame streaming for this, DirecTV decided ( based on yesterday’s news story) they do not want NFLST anymore, too expensive for AT&T to carry on a service that has maybe 5-8 years of life left.

As far as streaming goes, what service do you have and you should look into Star Link, for rural customers it might be your only hope for fast broadband.

No offense but they do not care, the NFL only wants that 2 billion dollars check.

Also, do not blame streaming for this, DirecTV decided ( based on yesterday’s news story) they do not want NFLST anymore, too expensive for AT&T to carry on a service that has maybe 5-8 years of life left.

As far as streaming goes, what service do you have and you should look into Star Link, for rural customers it might be your only hope for fast broadband.
Too expensive for att..so you triple the cost with streaming..you have to buy a good internet connection too

Too expensive for att..so you triple the cost with streaming..you have to buy a good internet connection too
What classified as bad internet now a days. Most major markets have access to good internet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.