DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Don't you pay more then $160 for Live TV service, I believe that is a waste of money, specially since the majority of programming is reruns.

And the internet is worth that, with Hulu, Paramount+, Peacock, AMC+,Discovery+, you get most of what is on Traditional Services for less then $40, then tons of free stuff on PlutoTV and Tubi, if you want sports, add ESPN+ for $7,
Life is too short to try to save four cents on peanut butter. Give me JIf. And give me the content that can only come from what is still the main way TV is consumed, linear TV.

But, saying ESPN+ is “sports” is like saying taking a bass boat out on a lake and a world cruise are the same thing.

ESPN+ is a SUPPLEMENTAL service. It has, mostly foreign sports, mid-major and small college college football and basketball, major college sports other than the big two, and a handful of supplemental NHL, PGA Tour, and MLB events.

It is technically sports, and a good SUPPLEMENT to the sports on the broadcast networks, the actual ESPNs, USA, TNT, TBS FS1&2, CBSSN, and the sport specific channels.

And your local RSN, the core of any sports fan’s package.

Watching Texas A&M women’s volleyball is not a substitute for the NFL.

Reactions: John2021 and Jimbo
Life is too short to try to save four cents on peanut butter. Give me JIf. And give me the content that can only come from what is still the main way TV is consumed, linear TV.
What do you mean by only?

The vast majority of new content that Traditional Providers have ( except certain sports) is on the Streaming Services, sometimes a week before they air on Live TV, then you get all the extra content the streaming services offer also.

ESPN+ is a SUPPLEMENTAL service. It has, mostly foreign sports, mid-major and small college college football and basketball, major college sports other than the big two, and a handful of supplemental NHL, PGA Tour, and MLB events.

It is technically sports, and a good SUPPLEMENT to the sports on the broadcast networks, the actual ESPNs, USA, TNT, TBS FS1&2, CBSSN, and the sport specific channels.

Just taking a look at ESPN+ schedule, tonight for example, 7 NHL Games, over 30 College Basketball games, PGA Honda classic and so much more.

Just taking a look at ESPN+ schedule, tonight for example, 7 NHL Games, over 30 College Basketball games, PGA Honda classic and so much more.
Is the Big College Football game this week on it ? LIVE ?
Are the Power 5 teams on it LIVE, I don't care about games that are already over.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Is the Big College Football game this week on it ? LIVE ?
Are the Power 5 teams on it LIVE, I don't care about games that are already over.
What College Football game this week, season is over?

They can only show what is in season, hence NHL Games Live, College Basketball Live and PGA Golf Live.

Go to the schedule if you want to see who is playing.

What College Football game this week, season is over?

They can only show what is in season, hence NHL Games Live, College Basketball Live and PGA Golf Live.

Go to the schedule if you want to see who is playing.
I think I get the point he may be making though, and to answer. No, ESPN+ is not a replacement for linear ESPN/SEC Network/Big 10 network ect.

Those big games are not included with the service.

Those channels are available for streaming however, without being locked into a contract versus getting them through Sat. I dropped all "live linear" services when football ended. Ill pick it back up next season.

I think I get the point he may be making though, and to answer. No, ESPN+ is not a replacement for linear ESPN/SEC Network/Big 10 network ect.
I never said it was, I said if you like sports there is ESPN+, never said they carry everything, there is no sports channel that does.

But that does not mean ESPN+ is worthless, if you went to a certain college that is on or if you are a NHL fan, Golf, etc, the app is great for that, I picked it up for the Red Wings and every game has been on.

Also, as the service gets older and contracts come up, I expect to see more big games on ESPN+, Traditional Providers lost over 4 million subs in 2021, Disney is going to want to make up those per sub fees.

But, saying ESPN+ is “sports” is like saying taking a bass boat out on a lake and a world cruise are the same thing.

Last time I checked...it also had live feeds of the ESPN networks

No it does not, you are thinking of Watch ESPN which is a TV Everywhere app with a Pay TV log in.

From the ESPN+ site:

An ESPN+ subscription does not give you access to stream ESPN’s traditional TV networks or the content on them. To stream those networks, you need a television subscription through a cable, satellite or digital provider.

What do you mean by only?
Only. The exclusive method of receiving the programming.
( except certain sports)
Yeah, like sports. Life is too short. Don’t need to save four cents.

Yep, lots of minor events. But N O T the major things shown on actual ESPNs, FS 1&2, etc. Supplemental. Mid-major college sports, alternate feed golf (main coverage is on linear Golf Channel). And some, but not all hockey, and not my local team (ever) because that is on linear TV. Don’t need to save four cents.

I never said it was, I said if you like sports there is ESPN+
Or if you like major sports, there is linear television, still the home of the major sports events people actually want to see.

Saying ESPN+ is “sports” is like saying Pilot Bread is “food”. Technically true, but give me what I want.
But that does not mean ESPN+ is worthless, if you went to a certain college
Mid major colleges. The big games are on linear TV
that is on or if you are a NHL fan,
My team, the local team is on linear TV, as will, exclusively, be the entire playoffs.
Alternate feeds, single holes, featured groups. Main feed on linear TV
I picked it up for the Red Wings and every game has been on.
Not if you live in Detroit.
Also, as the service gets older and contracts come up, I expect to see more big games on ESPN+,
Nope. It is a supplement. Disney is happy selling this supplement to hard core sports fans for a few $$ and real ESPNs to sports fans for big $$.
Traditional Providers lost over 4 million subs in 2021, Disney is going to want to make up those per sub fees.
Four whole million? But, that figure adds in people who are just cord switchers, moving from DBS or cable linear TV to something like YouTube TV or Hulu Plus Live TV, which is, umm linear TV.
Check again. ESPN+ is a supplement. It carries games OTHER than those seen on regular ESPNs. They are not selling you the major events for that small price. You can only get them the way most people still consume content. Linear TV.

Life is too short to watch Eastern Michigan play Kent State because you are saving a few pennies. Content is king, and the content is on linear TV, especially the major sports people want.

But you show ‘em. Store brand is almost as good.

Only. The exclusive method of receiving the programming.

Except it is not exclusive anymore, the vast majority of programming on Traditional Channels is on streaming services, same day, next day or even a week before.

The only thing that is somewhat exclusive is sports but that is eroding away, some RSNs are starting their own service, all the sports on CBS/NBC are shown on Paramount+/Peacock, MLB ( I know not local), NBA ( not local) and soon Sunday Ticket ( Super Bowl was on Peacock also).
Yep, lots of minor events. But N O T the major things shown on actual ESPNs, FS 1&2, etc. Supplemental. Mid-major college sports, alternate feed golf (main coverage is on linear Golf Channel). And some, but not all hockey, and not my local team (ever) because that is on linear TV. Don’t need to save four cents.
Again, never said it had everything, no sports channel has everything.
Or if you like major sports, there is linear television, still the home of the major sports events people actually want to see.
See what I wrote above.
Saying ESPN+ is “sports” is like saying Pilot Bread is “food”. Technically true, but give me what I want.
Have you ever watch or tried the app, NHL is a major sport and it had on MLB games on during the season, is Baseball not a major sport?
Mid major colleges. The big games are on linear TV
And on the apps.
Not if you live in Detroit.
Retired and now live in Florida for 2 years this July, from Metro Detroit area the previous 53 years
Four whole million? But, that figure adds in people who are just cord switchers, moving from DBS or cable linear TV to something like YouTube TV or Hulu Plus Live TV, which is, umm linear TV.
Wrong on the number, looks like it is closer to 6 million lost this year, have to do the math later, Pay TV had 100 million subs in 2013 and is down to, roughly, 74 million, loss of 26 million

They are not all going to YTTV/HULU LIVE, both of them only has 4 million subs each, that leaves 18 million that left Pay TV and did not come back.

Life is too short to watch Eastern Michigan play Kent State because you are saving a few pennies. Content is king, and the content is on linear TV, especially the major sports people want.
My wife and I graduated from Eastern, do not want to watch them either.
But you show ‘em. Store brand is almost as good.
Not knock it till you try it, with streaming I get at least a 1080P picture, 4K, DD+/Atmos sound.

Except it is not exclusive anymore,
Yes, it is. The major sports are ONLY on linear TV.
the vast majority of programming on Traditional Channels is on streaming services, same day, next day or even a week before.
You show ‘em.
Again, never said it had everything, no sports channel has everything.
Nope, a sports fan needs the linear broadcast networks, the linear general sports channels like the ESPNs, FS 1 &2, etc. and the linear sports specific channels to get everything. Which he can supplement with EPSN+, a supplemental service of off-beat sports, alternate feeds, early round coverage, etc.

And of course the local RSN, the most important channel.
Have you ever watch or tried the app, NHL is a major sport and it had on MLB games on during the season, is Baseball not a major sport?
Of course, I’m a sports fan, not trying to save four cents. So, of course I SUPPLEMENT the vast majority of sports that are on linear TV with the supplemental minor sports that are on ESPN+.
And on the apps.
Umm no, the ONLY way to get ESPN linear content is via being a subscriber to a linear TV service that includes ESPN. Same for Fox Sports, etc. Only via linear subscriptions.

Yes, you can watch a game on the apps. If you have a linear subscription. Life is too short.
Retired and now live in Florida for 2 years this July, from Metro Detroit area the previous 53 years
RIght. You won’t get your local teams. You follow Detroit teams because you used to live in, umm, Detroit. Which is why the local RSN, available only via linear TV, remains the core of a sports fan’s package.

Nice that you found a way to follow the Red Wings. But most Red Wings fans can’t use it. They live in Detroit and therefore need linear TV.
Wrong on the number, looks like it is closer to 6 million lost this year, have to do the math later, Pay TV had 100 million subs in 2013 and is down to, roughly, 74 million, loss of 26 million

They are not all going to YTTV/HULU LIVE, both of them only has 4 million subs each,
And then there are the many other internet based linear TV services. Just cord switching.

Yes, there is a minority of people that are happy with the, more or less, single type of programming on streaming serivces (and I have every one, because life is too short).

But I also have linear TV, and always will. Because you need linear TV to get the vast amount of programming that only linear TV can provide. Which includes major sports. And certainly will for decades to come.

BTW, no shot at EMU was intended. Just picked it at random as the type of game ESPN+ gives you, while the game most people want to see is on ESPN linear.

Yes, it is. The major sports are ONLY on linear TV.
They are not, already explained, major sports are also on streaming services, MLB and NHL games are also on ESPN+, NFL‘s TNF is on Prime only this upcoming season, Sunday Ticket is about to go streaming only.
You show ‘em.
ok, this forum is not the place for this, but since you asked-
Paramount Global-CBS/Nick/Paramount/MTV/Comedy Central/BET on P+ next day
NBCUniversal-NBC/SyFy/Universal-on Hulu/Peacock next day
Disney-ABC/Freeform/FX/Nat Geo-FX shows are usually on Hulu same day or before, the rest next day on Hulu and D+
Fox-Hulu next day
Discovery-Animal Planet/ Food Network/HGTV/Discovery Channel/etc are on Discovery+ sometimes weeks ahead of being on Traditional Channels, most of their programming is on same or next day.
AMC-most of their shows premiere a week before they are on regular AMC on AMC+

All I can think of for now.

I would love to see sunday ticket go streaming only so that it would fail miserably
Why would it fail?

None of us know what Amazon/Apple/ESPN+ will do with it.

The price alone
Again, no one knows what Amazon/Apple/ESPN will pay and what they will charge for it.

It will not be $7.5 billion, that number, I believe, was put out there by the NFL to get the bidding to go higher between the 3 companies.

Or by one of those companies to get the others to drop out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.