DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I certainly don’t live in the “boonies” but I know of many places, both in genuinely urban street locations, and in strip malls without cable. The cable in the residential neighborhoods is just fine, by cable standards, but they never wired up places that were zoned commercial, unless one of the businesses in the strip mall wanted to pay for wiring from the nearest node or whatever into the strip mall.
I cannot believe this, businesses are the ones Comcast and the like go after more because it is higher profits, not just from Broadband but Phone Service as well.

Most Businesses need more then one phone line ( the last place I worked before I retired had 5 and it was just a furniture store), plus Broadband, it was 3 years ago when I was last there, but the bill for the 5 lines and 100 down ( and yes 1G was available) was around $300-400.00.

How much does it cost a business for all those DirecTV boxes every month, how about the install, I would assume a bunch of Rokus Sticks and a Mesh System would be a lot cheaper in the short run.
well they have that now and they need it for MLB EI / NBA LP / NHL CI / local rsn's / other channels. And now with Sticks at each tv now you need to deal with lot's of remotes and aiming / switching feeds.

well they have that now and they need it for MLB EI / NBA LP / NHL CI / local rsn's / other channels. And now with Sticks at each tv now you need to deal with lot's of remotes and aiming / switching feeds.
Don’t they have to do that now, it not like they keep the DirecTV boxes on the same station for each TV, sometimes there might be only a few sporting events on and multiple TVs are showing the same thing or flipped to a non sporting event like the news, or if a lot, change them again to each event.

Don’t they have to do that now, it not like they keep the DirecTV boxes on the same station for each TV, sometimes there might be only a few sporting events on and multiple TVs are showing the same thing or flipped to a non sporting event like the news, or if a lot, change them again to each event.
have directv linked to the switcher now but now they need to an box to each tv or hope they have the free ports on the switcher to add more boxes to the rack.

will they have software to out put that apple tv stream into an MediaTune powered COM3000? Have an streaming tv card for it?

have directv linked to the switcher now but now they need to an box to each tv or hope they have the free ports on the switcher to add more boxes to the rack.

will they have software to out put that apple tv stream into an MediaTune powered COM3000? Have an streaming tv card for it?
They don't need to

I cannot believe this, businesses are the ones Comcast and the like go after more because it is higher profits, not just from Broadband but Phone Service as well.

Most Businesses need more then one phone line ( the last place I worked before I retired had 5 and it was just a furniture store), plus Broadband, it was 3 years ago when I was last there, but the bill for the 5 lines and 100 down ( and yes 1G was available) was around $300-400.00.
Most businesses that need multiple lines will have an on-prem PBX with external access being provided by a PRI or SIP trunk, or hosted VoIP. The industry is heavily moving towards VoIP

At work we pay $550 for 100 Mb symmetrical DIA fiber w/5 statics and $325 for a 23 channel PRI, 320 DIDs and International LD from Spectrum.

Reactions: navychop
Most businesses that need multiple lines will have an on-prem PBX with external access being provided by a PRI or SIP trunk, or hosted VoIP. The industry is heavily moving towards VoIP

At work we pay $550 for 100 Mb symmetrical DIA fiber w/5 statics and $325 for a 23 channel PRI, 320 DIDs and International LD from Spectrum.
Actually they don't do that anymore
VOIP killed that business

I am in the boonies and my
Local bar with 10 TV’s has 1 gig service available

You can get 1gig internet quite easily for about $100 a month

Bars are not going to want to spend $100 per month for internet, so they might pay again for the ST.
1Gig internet is available many places, but NOT Most places.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamCdbs
Because the other leagues’ out-of-market packages are sold under a totally different economic model. The provider (cable co, satellite co, whatever) sells these packages at a profit. NFLST costs money on a cash basis. Because DirecTV, and now maybe Apple, are paying MORE to the NFL than what every willing subscriber would pay the NFL if it were available on “every” provider. That simple.

Prime Viedo’s T&C also clearly say that it is for “home viewing only”. See my earlier response for what will probably be the case. Most people will just use a personal Amazon account, and I would bet that DirecTV gets the commercial rights and carries the games.
IF they are making No money .... (they have plenty of subs to Apple services) what is the point of getting the ST ?

You guys are wasting your time discussing this, they are not going make NFLST streaming only for bars. Either the NFL splits the residential and commercial rights, or Apple subs out commercial rights to Directv (either directly or via Joe Hand Productions like MMA is)

Apple is a consumer company that deals with businesses as customers only grudgingly. They don't want to have to 100K businesses expecting immediate support on Sunday afternoons, deal with FCO certificates and so forth. There are already companies that do that, either they or the NFL will partner with one so Apple doesn't have to worry about that stuff.

Reactions: MrMars and SamCdbs
You guys are wasting your time discussing this, they are not going make NFLST streaming only for bars. Either the NFL splits the residential and commercial rights, or Apple subs out commercial rights to Directv (either directly or via Joe Hand Productions like MMA is)

Apple is a consumer company that deals with businesses as customers only grudgingly. They don't want to have to 100K businesses expecting immediate support on Sunday afternoons, deal with FCO certificates and so forth. There are already companies that do that, either they or the NFL will partner with one so Apple doesn't have to worry about that stuff.
While I agree with that Apple probably will not handle the Commercial Side of NFLST, is DirecTV even wanting it, what would be the rights fee, it it worth it based on what comes with NFLST are subs to DirecTV for Commercial Establishments, is the rights fee for Businesses more then what they would earn back in revenue like for Personal.

It has been already reported that TPG Capital wants out to make money on their 30% investment, since DirecTV is not spending any cash on future development, who would cover the rights fee, TPG or AT&T, I doubt AT&T since they just lost 42 Billion on Warner (paid $85 billion for Warner a few years ago, just sold it to Discovery for $43 billion) and has a bunch of debt vs cash on hand ( as of December 2021 AT&T had US$182.1b of debt, an increase on US$155.2b, over one year. However, it does have US$21.2b in cash offsetting this, leading to net debt of about US$160.9b.).

Bars are not going to want to spend $100 per month for internet so they might pay again for the ST.
1Gig internet is available many places, but NOT Most places.
Depends if its a sports bar..not your run of the mill corner bar

Most business internet plans start in the 60-80 dollar range anyway.. and I know he is going to start with the bars dont have high speed internet service but they all do They need it for credit card processing and just work in general

It depends on what you call a Sports bar ... there are a few around here that I occasionally go to, I go to eat and listen to the bands .... they also have the ST ... does that make them a Sports bar ?

The one actually is a Sports bar ...

Most business internet plans start in the 60-80 dollar range anyway.. and I know he is going to start with the bars dont have high speed internet service but they all do They need it for credit card processing and just work in general
That is Very incorrect ...
Credit card run on internet as low as 1.5 .... been doing that for many many years now.

On a side note, I as a Residential person cannot get 100 mg for under $80.
Which is ridiculous.
Fiber is another pipe dream, people talk about fiber for those same rates, not here.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Credit card run on internet as low as 1.5 .... been doing that for many many years now.

Which is ridiculous.
Fiber is another pipe dream, people talk about fiber for those same rates, not here.

Which is ridiculous.
Sucks to live in a att area

DSL can work for credit cards..there is more than football streaming...especially if they are into european soccer

Sucks to live in att area
AT&T is putting Fiber for Residential in my neighborhood which is also Charter Country, that will soon mean a price war is coming.

By the way, pay $109 for the 1 Gig speed.

Reactions: Juan
Status
Please reply by conversation.