DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ip address tracing
Isn't that a MAJOR thing to do ???

Netflix tried and so far haven't gotten very far.

If they do ip tracing, that would mean that you could ONLY watch the ST in your own home, thats not very likely ...
They need to have it so you can watch everywhere and anywhere, they have to IMPROVE the ST, not remove things that are already done ....

Isn't that a MAJOR thing to do ???

Netflix tried and so far haven't gotten very far.

If they do ip tracing, that would mean that you could ONLY watch the ST in your own home, thats not very likely ...
They need to have it so you can watch everywhere and anywhere, they have to IMPROVE the ST, not remove things that are already done ....
Netflix allowed password sharing...this thing is only one day a week for 18 weeks..different scenario

Netflix allowed password sharing...this thing is only one day a week for 18 weeks..different scenario
That way, I can't use it on my Cell phone or my Tablet if I go out of my home, thats a HUGE Step BACKWARD ... I don't see that happening ....
Streaming your game on a device outside of your home is a Huge item for the NFL ... That would not be with the thoughts off Goodell wanting the NFL to be everywhere.

That way, I can't use it on my Cell phone or my Tablet if I go out of my home, thats a HUGE Step BACKWARD ... I don't see that happening ....
Streaming your game on a device outside of your home is a Huge item for the NFL ... That would not be with the thoughts off Goodell wanting the NFL to be everywhere.
I dunno..right now is it mobile?

They could limit it by allowing only 1 login per account

Apple allows family sharing of their services like Apple TV+. You can shared Apple services with 5 family members.

Beyond that, they could maybe limit the number of streams per family member?

I pay for a service right now that allows as much streaming as I want but only from two IP addresses at a time. So you're not tired to your home address or anything, you just can't be logged in and streaming from more than two IP addresses simultaneously.

I share it with a friend, and if we're all using the service and my wife or I start streaming on our phone and we're not on Wi-Fi then it just locks us all out for 10 minutes then clears up autatically.

I can't go into what that service is here, but if they can do it that I'm sure the most valuable companies in the world involved in this deal can handle it just fine.

Apple allows family sharing of their services like Apple TV+. You can shared Apple services with 5 family members.

Beyond that, they could maybe limit the number of streams per family member?
But this is the very greedy NFL

Current Sunday Ticket can only be streamed to one device at a time.

This is all kind of in the weeds though, part of the value proposition the winner of the bid gets to sell to us.
However, you Can be on the ST Thru D* TV, And stream and be fine.

So, you Can watch a TV as well as Stream a game at the same time.

Didn't know how clear the 1st line was.

But this is the very greedy NFL

The NFL doesn't care, they will get the same amount of money regardless via a fixed price contract. If whoever gets it is losing revenue due to password sharing etc. it doesn't cost them a cent.

The NFL doesn't care, they will get the same amount of money regardless via a fixed price contract. If whoever gets it is losing revenue due to password sharing etc. it doesn't cost them a cent.
But 2 billion requires maximum return...maybe they will offer a family package..just speculating..I dont see apple taking a loss like directv

But 2 billion requires maximum return...maybe they will offer a family package..just speculating..I dont see apple taking a loss like directv
You really think Apple will expect to make a profit from ST ?

At those prices, NO ONE can make a profit .... no one expects to make a profit with the NFL wanting as much money as they do.

That was a VERY GOOD move for D* to get out of it, if they were expected to pay that much.

A Great run company isn't gonna make money on it .... Not saying Apple is a Great run company, but we all know D* is not.

Reactions: SamCdbs
You really think Apple will expect to make a profit from ST ?

At those prices, NO ONE can make a profit .... no one expects to make a profit with the NFL wanting as much money as they do.

That was a VERY GOOD move for D* to get out of it, if they were expected to pay that much.

A Great run company isn't gonna make money on it .... Not saying Apple is a Great run company, but we all know D* is not.

No one is going to get Sunday Ticket to lose money. You are right in the sense that they won’t expect subscription sale revenue to cover the cost, but that’s not the same as losing money on it.

DirecTV used it as a loss leader to sign up new customers. Subscription revenue may never have covered the fee they paid to the NFL, but they still made beaucoup bucks as a result of having it.

Apple, Amazon, or Disney have plenty of ways to monetize Sunday Ticket and whatever other NFL content and IP rights they get as a result of a deal. Whoever wins will realize enough of an increase in revenue to justify the deal.

Reactions: meStevo
No one is going to get Sunday Ticket to lose money. You are right in the sense that they won’t expect subscription sale revenue to cover the cost, but that’s not the same as losing money on it.

DirecTV used it as a loss leader to sign up new customers. Subscription revenue may never have covered the fee they paid to the NFL, but they still made beaucoup bucks as a result of having it.

Apple, Amazon, or Disney have plenty of ways to monetize Sunday Ticket and whatever other NFL content and IP rights they get as a result of a deal. Whoever wins will realize enough of an increase in revenue to justify the deal.
Disney has ESPN..a natural fit but they dropped out..the others have no real connection to sports other than streaming a few games

Disney has ESPN..a natural fit but they dropped out..the others have no real connection to sports other than streaming a few games
The Other Connection is they have "More Money than God " and the NFL wants to sit right next to God and thier money.

The Other Connection is they have "More Money than God " and the NFL wants to sit right next to God and thier money.
There has to be something else like a deal to run nfl.com...or nfl media.. a long time ago..i was told interactive software was being developed that would allow to order stuff via your tv..for example..if you clicked on the jersey of your favorite player..you could order that jersey..etc etc..did it happen? Nooooo but with modern cell phones and tablets it probably could

Both services have always sold sports packages thru Amazon Prime and itunes and still do.

Not just the NFL, all sports will be getting close to any streaming service that will offer up the big money.

Remember, Traditional Providers have lost over 30 million subscribers ( and continues to lose, another 2.1 million left Live TV in first quarter 2022), that is a lot of per sub fees that are gone, they have to make up the money sooner or not that much later.

So, if rights fees go up for someone like ESPN, but they have lost $3.24 billion in a year ( 30,000,000 subs lost times $9 in per sub fees a month times 12 months), and the other sports leagues do not get the increase in fees that ESPN might not be able to afford, you will see more deals with streaming providers instead.

Or, all the sports channels will have to offer the content on their own streaming service to hopefully make up the lost revenue from Traditional Services, ESPN, for example, can’t keep paying a increase in right’s fees but taking in less revenue.

The next 3-5 years will be interesting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.