DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Apple, which a lot of people get for free, is only $7 anyway (and hardly worth that).
I just love how some people enjoy passing judgment on how much something is worth to others. Even at $7/month, it's a bargain to me. Quality content and almost everything in Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos.

You don't want it? Don't buy it.

I would think a lot of people wound not want the requirement of having to sign up for a YTTV subscription in order to get NFL Sunday Ticket, like it is now with Directv.

If I could only get HBO or ESPN on one provider how would their numbers be?

We’ll, if they went streaming only…

ESPN+ has about 25 million subs. Given it doesn’t include the cable ESPN channels, I’d expect a few more if they were available without a cable subscription.

HBO/HBO Max have just under 50 million subs. Given how just HBO is sold through cable cos, essentially a standalone subscription, 50 million is probably a good estimate for that, too, if cable went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way the NFL can get a streaming service going that quick, it took 3 years for Disney to get Plus going, including buying BAMtech in 2017, the streaming tech company that MLB created.

The cost involved would be too much for the NFL who prefers just licensing it out for the big payday.

My guess is they will just take the highest bidder, properly in the $1-1.5 Billion range.
Eh, they were reportedly hoping to license out the mobile rights too but ended up doing that themselves via their new NFL+ service that streams through their own NFL app. I don't see why they couldn't sell NFLST through that same app.

NFL, Give it up. Just sell it like other sports packaging. "Although NFL commissioner Roger Goodell originally said they expected to close a deal for the prestigious Sunday Ticket package by the fall of this year, the latest reports indicate that talks have slowed" NFL Sunday Ticket negotiations set to drag into next year, Apple and Google emerge as frontrunners for the deal
A report from The Athletic over the weekend noted that Apple and NFL were debating semantics like the inclusion of international sales rights and the nature of geographic blackout restrictions in the proposed Sunday Ticket contract. However, the NFL is not (or cannot due to existing contracts with broadcast/cable partners) willing to concede on these points. The implication from The Athletic was that Apple’s passion for the deal may have lessened.

so apple wants it all and full control?? what about others??
google max three devices may be to low for them to pull this off.

also commercial use? is the NFL forceing any thing on that part?

Finally, confirming that Disney/ESPN is officially out-

“We’ve made it clear to the NFL that we value that product,” Pitaro said. “We are not currently engaged with them. The ball is in their court, and they have to decide what their priorities are and where they want to go with it.”-ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro

Having lost a billion and a half in a quarter, combined with all their other problems, Disney passed long ago and is just now confirming this.

Amazon is staying silent. Not surprising. The NFL likes being in business with “all of the above” throughout its history, being on all networks at the same time, etc. The preference for Apple is born of that same desire. From Amazon’s side, the failing TNF package seems to have soured it on more NFL.

Apple seems to have some really great idea. Which it can discuss when the next contract is available, starting with the 34 season. Right now, the right to show Fox and CBS produced games in markets where the local affiliate has chosen a different game, with the package being sold at a “premium price” thus to discourage too many subscribers and cut into network and affiliate revenues, is all that is available for purchase.

I imagine that Fox and CBS have pretty good lawyers. Imagine if the NFL actually did sell Apple the right to produce the games in VR or some yet undiscovered way.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Having lost a billion and a half in a quarter, combined with all their other problems, Disney passed long ago and is just now confirming this.

Amazon is staying silent. Not surprising. The NFL likes being in business with “all of the above” throughout its history, being on all networks at the same time, etc. The preference for Apple is born of that same desire. From Amazon’s side, the failing TNF package seems to have soured it on more NFL.

Apple seems to have some really great idea. Which it can discuss when the next contract is available, starting with the 34 season. Right now, the right to show Fox and CBS produced games in markets where the local affiliate has chosen a different game, with the package being sold at a “premium price” thus to discourage too many subscribers and cut into network and affiliate revenues, is all that is available for purchase.

I imagine that Fox and CBS have pretty good lawyers. Imagine if the NFL actually did sell Apple the right to produce the games in VR or some yet undiscovered way.
Any word on last thursday nights ratings?..the Buffalo game

Any word on last thursday nights ratings?..the Buffalo game

Bills-Patriots averaged a 4.9 rating and 9.97 million viewers on the latest edition of NFL Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime, the third-largest TNF audience since Week 4 — behind Titans-Packers the previous week (10.32M) and Ravens-Buccaneers in Week 8 (10.01M).

I assume it does not include local broadcast numbers

Finally, confirming that Disney/ESPN is officially out-

“We’ve made it clear to the NFL that we value that product,” Pitaro said. “We are not currently engaged with them. The ball is in their court, and they have to decide what their priorities are and where they want to go with it.”-ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro

Court?

Status
Please reply by conversation.