DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's pretty funny in the context of this thread because his side incessantly claims those who are pro streaming don't understand the TV business but it's the detractors that continue to post so much nonsense and irrelevant gibberish on the topic that they show they clearly don't understand.

Reactions: cosmo_kramer
stop...just STOP!
There is no "DMA for a NFL team". There are Primary and Secondary markets
-Primary is the DMA of the team. So for Minnesota its the Minneapolis DMA, for Detroit its the Detroit DMA, for Kansas City it's the KC DMA, etc. They are the only market that can show a streaming game OTA. Doesn't matter where you are in the DMA. You get it. So if you live in the Minneapolis DMA if you live in Downtown Mpls or in downtown Bemidji (some 200+ miles awayin Beltrami County....top of the blue portion) you still get the game on cable and satellite on a local channel. So anyone in the blue area gets the Vikings game via a local station on cable and satellite regardless if you can pick it up OTA
View attachment 159843
-Secondary markets are markets where a portion of the DMA is within 75 miles of the stadium. So Mankato (where I am) is a secondary market. The only rule of a secondary market is they must show the local teams road games. They use to also be subject to blackouts if the home game wasnt a sellout but that rule has been "put on ice"

And there is no blackout. For years when the Vikings had their cable games on WCCO CBS Minneapolis in Mankato we could see it on cable (even though we have our own CBS KEYC). Satellite they couldnt due to having KEYC as CBS. Same as the Rochester/Mason City/Austin market. WCCO is on cable but satellite is KIMT.
This Saturday's Viking game on NFL Net is being carried in Minneapolis on KSTP ABC. Since Mankato does not have a ABC in the DMA both satellite and cable subs will be able to see it on KSTP. OTA folks in Mankato (depending on location in the area) may get the translator for KSTP. Most of the northern part of the Minneapolis DMA does not have ABC over the air but cable and satellite carry it
You need to stop...the law requiring local coverage was written in the 60s..no cable..no satellite..so in you can recieve the game with a OTA antenna..thats it..no other consideration was ever written in to that law because none of it existed

nice try Skippy
that is for SYNDICATED shows. The NFL is not syndicated
So when Dr Phil is on at 3pm on both WCCO Minneapolis and KEYC Mankato cable might have to either black out WCCO or just overlay KEYC on WCCO's channel. Here in Mankato they don't (they use to do an overlay on the SD station but not the HD)
Umm..look up copyright law..amazon owns the rights to the game..they chose to syndicate it to a couple local stations..actually forced to..hope this helps

A syndicated program is a program that runs on a different television network than the one on which it was initially broadcast, or a program that was not created for a specific network. In the U.S., syndication generally comes in two forms: first-run syndication and off-network syndication.

You need to stop...the law requiring local coverage was written in the 60s..no cable..no satellite..so in you can recieve the game with a OTA antenna..thats it..no other consideration was ever written in to that law because none of it existed
umm the rule (that cable games must be shown OTA in the local teams market) was made in effect when ESPN got the rights in 1987. I see the rest you just ignored (or moved the goal posts like you do). Also back in the 60s and early 70s home games weren't shown on TV in the primary market

After all you think the NFL has DMA's and can only show games in parts of the DMA

You went from not knowing whether or not Prime games were on traditional TV at all in their local markets 24 hours ago, to knowing and speaking with authority about the subject?
Hell he thinks the NFL has DMA's and are different than actual DMA's and that you can black out NFL games in parts of the DMA since (according to the all "knowing" Juan) the NFL games that are co-existing on streaming/cable can only be shown in the local city only and not the whole DMA. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

umm the rule (that cable games must be shown OTA in the local teams market) was made in effect when ESPN got the rights in 1987. I see the rest you just ignored (or moved the goal posts like you do). Also back in the 60s and early 70s home games weren't shown on TV in the primary market

After all you think the NFL has DMA's and can only show games in parts of the DMA
No..it happened during the AFL/NFL merger antitrust agreement...you were probably not around back then...

Hell he thinks the NFL has DMA's and are different than actual DMA's and that you can black out NFL games in parts of the DMA since (according to the all "knowing" Juan) the NFL games that are co-existing on streaming/cable can only be shown in the local city only and not the whole DMA. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Hope this helps

actually it didn't since it had nothing to do with what I posted about you claiming the streaming games (which as noted you didnt even know were carried on local TV) can only be shown in the "Just local city not DMA"

actually it didn't since it had nothing to do with what I posted about you claiming the streaming games (which as noted you didnt even know were carried on local TV) can only be shown in the "Just local city not DMA"
The only reason amazon has to sell local games to local stations is that law...otherwise it wouldn't happen..same with cable games being on local tv..same law...sorry if you don't see the connection..but the NFL got a antitrust exemption and part of the deal was a requirement for games to be on tv

Hope this helps

As I said earlier....stop...just STOP!
You must be one of those people like I deal with at work who feel to get the last word in no matter how wrong they are

So you give me a 7 year old article about what games people might get. Let see...hmmm
the 506 forums I am a member of...well now its on Discord and I actively participate there
3 teams (St Louis, San Diego and Oakland) have moved since that time
There are markets who "cowtown" for a player. Alabama shows Miami games because of Tua. Baton Rouge shows Cincy because of Burrow. Hawaii and Oregon show whatever team Marcus Mariotta is playing for. Louisville shows Baltimore for Lamar Jackson. Cheyenne and Casper, WY show Buffalo for Josh Allen. Lubbock shows KC for Mahomes.

but yep you know everything from a 7 year old article :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's just the main ring / main citys that must have the games.
Also it's the NFL rule. At one time NBCSN tried to get MNF or TNF and the must be on local TV part I think killed the deal as they did not want that.

It's just the main ring / main citys that must have the games.
Also it's the NFL rule. At one time NBCSN tried to get MNF or TNF and the must be on local TV part I think killed the deal as they did not want that.
Its the PRIMARY market (the DMA in the participating teams) that carries the game. A station carries it OTA but as long as you can get that station (be it OTA, cable or satellite) you get the game. I already proved that point earlier with Minneapolis

When Denver has a national game it use to be the My affiliate (My20). This year its the ABC station. There are people in Northern Wyoming and Central Nebraska that get the game on a "local" station as they are in the Denver DMA.

As I said earlier....stop...just STOP!
You must be one of those people like I deal with at work who feel to get the last word in no matter how wrong they are

So you give me a 7 year old article about what games people might get. Let see...hmmm
the 506 forums I am a member of...well now its on Discord and I actively participate there
3 teams (St Louis, San Diego and Oakland) have moved since that time
There are markets who "cowtown" for a player. Alabama shows Miami games because of Tua. Baton Rouge shows Cincy because of Burrow. Hawaii and Oregon show whatever team Marcus Mariotta is playing for. Louisville shows Baltimore for Lamar Jackson. Cheyenne and Casper, WY show Buffalo for Josh Allen. Lubbock shows KC for Mahomes.

but yep you know everything from a 7 year old article :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Let me simplify it for you..every tv market in minnesota carries the vikings..as well as portions of north dakota and other surrounding states..much like baseball..nfl teans have territories...my point was a amazon games is not available in the region that carries vikings games..only in Minnesota..and that game is available in Minnesota due to the 1961 law..that has a bunch of court cases tied to it...including sunday ticket...no sense explaining that level..you weren't alive 60 years ago...but alas you will babble on about stuff related to that law without realizing it

Its the blackout provision..in order to merge they had to agree to show every game on tv..they couldn't scrap a 0 and 10 lions game for a much better game with higher ratings
The only exception was if they did not sell out the local stadium..

The courts have interpreted that law to mean they cannot have cable exclusitivity..game has to be on local tv..same law requires sunday ticket to block local games and now ut applies to streaming

Its really just that simple

Last edited:
Its really just that simple
Is there anything you won't argue about? I probably shouldn't have used the term "DMA" but I used it and own it. The fact that you didn't even know there was any coverage at all outside streaming and now consider yourself an authority on the subject is simply mindboggling to me.

I for one am always willing to be corrected on any subject at all, but not when I'm right and not by someone that clearly has no clue about the subject at hand. Here's some free advice, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!

Reactions: Mr Tony
I for one am always willing to be corrected on any subject at all, but not when I'm right and not by someone that clearly has no clue about the subject at hand. Here's some free advice, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!
You (and others) responding to him in this way is what he enjoys, you fell into into his rabbit hole and are climbing (posting ) to get out and it is making him so happy as you do so.

Afterwards, he will move on to another stupid and unrelated subject, rinse and repeat.

Keep in mind, he does not have DirecTV and has not indicated he will get NFLST when it goes streaming, unlike myself who will get it, he is only posting just to argue.

Once again, with feeling, if a game is on a “cable” channel or streaming (Amazon, ESPN, NFL Network) it will be shown on a local OTA station in the home markets of the two teams (plus Milwaukee for Green Bay). EVERYONE who can receive that channel, via whatever means (antenna, cable, satellite, linear streaming, whatever) will get that game on that OTA channel. Syndex has nothing to do with it, nothing has anything to do with it. It is part of the NFL’s anti-trust deal with the government.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Is there anything you won't argue about? I probably shouldn't have used the term "DMA" but I used it and own it. The fact that you didn't even know there was any coverage at all outside streaming and now consider yourself an authority on the subject is simply mindboggling to me.

I was never in a hole

Last reminder, talk about the subject, not each other. Next one gets a vacation.

Reactions: Juan
Status
Please reply by conversation.