DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
- The is literally no one who “couldn’t” subscribe to ST on DirecTV. The people that want it, have it.

- The geographically illogical fan is a thing in all sports. Also there are plenty of border areas, Columbus, OH for example, which have to pick one of the other when they overlap. And is somebody in, say, Montana supposed to be a Denver fan because it is only 13 hours away? But more than anything I enjoy consuming the NFL in my sports bar with my friends and ALL the games on at once.

- And the place has good internet. Really good. And we stream a lot from ESPN+ and other places. Just one TV. And the little white swirling circle of failure is common. Because the internet is just not ready for prime time in the commercial setting. Which is why ST will, at least on the commercial side be right where TNF ended up on the commercial side.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
What Update, nothing was told to us that we didn't already know.

No one said anything about early 2023 either.

Goodell said its at a "Critical" point ... thats Only because no one has offered to pay the ridiculous money the NFL thinks it should get ...

If offers don't increase, what will the NFL do then ???

They will look at the highest bidder again.

So, Quit Bidding and it won't go any higher and the NFL will be in the bind, not the people bidding or the customer ....
Deep in the article..after the comments

A deal might not get done until early 2023, but a source told Kaplan the league "really need" to announce a new deal by the Super Bowl.

- The is literally no one who “couldn’t” subscribe to ST on DirecTV. The people that want it, have it.
Again, DirecTV has only 8% of the United States’ Household Population ( 129 Million) as subscribers , it is more likely that the majority do not want DirecTV.

We have no idea of the over 115 million Households that do not have DirecTV, how many would want ST.
- The geographically illogical fan is a thing in all sports. Also there are plenty of border areas, Columbus, OH for example, which have to pick one of the other when they overlap.
Not everyone lives in a area like that, I live in Central Florida, so no options like you mentioned.
And is somebody in, say, Montana supposed to be a Denver fan because it is only 13 hours away?
I am a Lions fan and live a lot more then 13 hours away.

But more than anything I enjoy consuming the NFL in my sports bar with my friends and ALL the games on at once.
That is you, the majority do not like doing that, if so there would be a lot, lot more sports bars.
- And the place has good internet. Really good. And we stream a lot from ESPN+ and other places. Just one TV. And the little white swirling circle of failure is common. Because the internet is just not ready for prime time in the commercial setting. Which is why ST will, at least on the commercial side be right where TNF ended up on the commercial side.
Again, not everyone, I have great broadband, never a issue, even went thru 2 Hurricanes a couple of months ago, held up, which did surprise me.

Reactions: Mr Tony and meStevo
Again, DirecTV has only 8% of the United States’ Household Population ( 129 Million) as subscribers , it is more likely that the majority do not want DirecTV.
OK. You do understand what “could” and “couldn’t” mean, right? You call up the nice DirecTV people and you get ST. You CAN do that. You may not WANT to, rather saving some pennies, but CAN and WANT are different words.
We have no idea of the over 115 million Households that do not have DirecTV, how many would want ST.
Yes we do. Those that have it. Since it is available to everyone and has been for 30 years.
Not everyone lives in a area like that, I live in Central Florida, so no options like you mentioned.

I am a Lions fan and live a lot more than 13 hours away.
You are another catagory. The displaced fan. People who refuse to adapt to where they now live. Florida, and other places like LV, Phoenix, etc, are full of that.
That is you, the majority do not like doing that, if so there would be a lot, lot more sports bars.
Million more do. Not everyone. If only we could all understand that people have different views. A few people really want to save those pennies. Many more want the goodness of TV. Your decisions are not always just you being at the forefront of a trend.
Again, not everyone, I have great broadband, never a issue, even went thru 2 Hurricanes a couple of months ago, held up, which did surprise me.
To stream as many as 12 HD, or soon 4K football games at once?

Almost no one can. Which is why ST, on the commercial side, will be right where it always has been next year. A master stroke. Keeping the programming and losing the money losing contract.

• Haha
OK. You do understand what “could” and “couldn’t” mean, right? You call up the nice DirecTV people and you get ST. You CAN do that. You may not WANT to, rather saving some pennies, but CAN and WANT are different words.

Again, you continue to use this useless point to reassure yourself rather than actually say anything of meaning in this thread. It's nonsensical and largely serves to forfeit the bulk of everything else (over and over and over again) you say on the topic.

'they can see the sky so if they wanted Sunday Ticket they would have it'

No, not really. I will be happy to pay $300/mo for Sunday Ticket when it isn't attached to thousands of dollars per year in other obligations. I am far from alone. It will cost a fraction of what I have saved and continue to save at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tony
Ok, so the complaint currently is that not everyone that wants ST could get it due to being tied to Directv ....

Once a deal is done, people will change the complaint to We don't have Internet that will support it ....
People will never be happy ....

One group will always be out for one reason or another .... and this thread will go on and on rehashing the same things over and over.

Ok, so the complaint currently is that not everyone that wants ST could get it due to being tied to Directv ....

Once a deal is done, people will change the complaint to We don't have Internet that will support it ....
People will never be happy ....

One group will always be out for one reason or another .... and this thread will go on and on rehashing the same things over and over.

Oh I have no doubt they will move the goalposts, it's been demonstrated a number of times just in this thread on all sorts of off-topic and trolling points by the detractors.

Almost no one can.
While it would take a good connection to do it, roughly 150-300 down (depending on the quality and requirements), it would not take gig or better speeds.

Many have access to those speeds, whether they choose to pay for it or not is a different story. Our local sports bar in a town of roughly 4,500 has access to three companies offering Gig service. Two fiber, and one cable.

Five years ago it would have been a bigger issue, as the services were not here. Today? Alot more than almost no one has access.

OK. You do understand what “could” and “couldn’t” mean, right? You call up the nice DirecTV people and you get ST. You CAN do that.
Well that would be rather idiotic to do since DirecTV choose not to bid on ST and will not have it next year.

You may not WANT to, rather saving some pennies, but CAN and WANT are different words.
I do not need to save some pennies, I choose not to waste my money on a service that is way overpriced for what they offer.
Yes we do. Those that have it. Since it is available to everyone and has been for 30 years.
And the majority over the last 30 years has not wanted DirecTV, specially now since it is so over priced with the latest price increase.
You are another catagory. The displaced fan. People who refuse to adapt to where they now live. Florida, and other places like LV, Phoenix, etc, are full of that.
Yes, I wonder how many of them will order ST once it leaves DirecTV.
Million more do. Not everyone. If only we could all understand that people have different views. A few people really want to save those pennies. Many more want the goodness of TV. Your decisions are not always just you being at the forefront of a trend.
I get the goodness of TV without having to overpay, I get the majority of content that is shown on a Traditional Provider plus all the exclusive stuff, all in much better quality
Easy for me, doubt I would ever do that.
Almost no one can. Which is why ST, on the commercial side, will be right where it always has been next year. A master stroke. Keeping the programming and losing the money losing contract.
No one has ever doubted that, but Business needs to upgrade their broadband, the end of Traditional Providers is coming, DirecTV has about 5-7 years of life left, you do know they lost another 500,000 subs in the last quarter, out of 13 Million total which includes Stream and Uverse, that means a 2 million loss every year , so in just 5 years,10 million subs gone.

How did directv get away with giving it free to new and long standing subs?

The deals with the networks didn't have the clause that requires NFLST to be charged for, so that will only affect future holders of NFLST rights.

The networks probably didn't care about that when Directv had the rights because every Directv subscriber was paying for the local stations so they didn't really lose anything.

With a streamer like Apple or Amazon getting the rights, there will be NFLST viewers who don't pay a penny to their local station because the subscriber doesn't have cable or satellite. They want to protect against people who just want to watch "football" getting NFLST at a discount rate hurting the local stations.

The deals with the networks didn't have the clause that requires NFLST to be charged for, so that will only affect future holders of NFLST rights.

The networks probably didn't care about that when Directv had the rights because every Directv subscriber was paying for the local stations so they didn't really lose anything.

With a streamer like Apple or Amazon getting the rights, there will be NFLST viewers who don't pay a penny to their local station because the subscriber doesn't have cable or satellite. They want to protect against people who just want to watch "football" getting NFLST at a discount rate hurting the local stations.
Except, the Local game isn't on the ST.

Well that would be rather idiotic to do since DirecTV choose not to bid on ST and will not have it next year.

I do not need to save some pennies, I choose not to waste my money on a service that is way overpriced for what they offer.

And the majority over the last 30 years has not wanted DirecTV, specially now since it is so over priced with the latest price increase.

Yes, I wonder how many of them will order ST once it leaves DirecTV.

I get the goodness of TV without having to overpay, I get the majority of content that is shown on a Traditional Provider plus all the exclusive stuff, all in much better quality

Easy for me, doubt I would ever do that.

No one has ever doubted that, but Business needs to upgrade their broadband, the end of Traditional Providers is coming, DirecTV has about 5-7 years of life left, you do know they lost another 500,000 subs in the last quarter, out of 13 Million total which includes Stream and Uverse, that means a 2 million loss every year , so in just 5 years,10 million subs gone.
And you guys will continue to Complain from one to another again and again ...

Someone always has to have a issue with what the other said .... worse than the kids.

And you guys will continue to Complain from one to another again and again ...

Someone always has to have a issue with what the other said .... worse than the kids.

What about his post is wrong? Do you think you're helping or contributing to what you're complaining about?

I mean... you're complaining about active discussion on a discussion forum. If there was a problem there are multiple mods participating that I presume would step in (and have).

Why the FK would they put Comments in the middle of a story ?
Thats just plain Stupid.
I agree

But not to pee in your cheerios..2023 is 2 weeks away and they probably wont have a deal by the super bowl because of the holidays and playoffs..some might call this hilariously funny

• Haha
Status
Please reply by conversation.