DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
With the NFL dragging its feet on the Sunday Ticket choice .... they said Fall previously ...

My guess is that they announce it during the week between the Playoffs and the Super Bowl with a 3 hour Event .... Maybe even the Saturday before the game.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
With the NFL dragging its feet on the Sunday Ticket choice .... they said Fall previously ...

My guess is that they announce it during the week between the Playoffs and the Super Bowl with a 3 hour Event .... Maybe even the Saturday before the game.

NFLST is just not a big enough deal to the NFL for them to promote it like that. With two million subscribers that is like 2% of the overall NFL fanbase.

They just want to cash the check, it is up to whoever buys the rights to try to publicize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFLST is just not a big enough deal to the NFL for them to promote it like that. With two million subscribers that is like 2% of the overall NFL fanbase.

They just want to cash the check, it is up to whoever buys the rights to try to publicize it.
I agree but the NFL wants 3 billion dollars for it...whoever is dumb enough to pay that much better promote it big time

Reactions: SamCdbs

Are you saying that only 2% of the NFL Fan get Sunday Ticket ?

IF No one gets it, the NFL will find otherwise ....

There will be a lot of pissed off fans that can't watch thier favorite team anymore after being able to for the last 20 years.

From those numbers, you Think that 98% follow thier OWN home team, I doubt thats the case either.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ.
I agree but the NFL wants 3 billion dollars for it...whoever is dumb enough to pay that much better promote it big time
Maybe the NFL will Hold Out, like players do when they want more money .... they can miss the season and then wonder why no one would pay 3 Billion for it.
The ST is going to Strike !

The ST has no leverage in this argument ... :eeek

• Haha
Reactions: AZ.
ARe you saying that only 2% of the NFL Fan get Sunday Ticket ?

IF No one gets it, the NFL will find otherwise ....

There will be a lot of pissed off fans that can't watch thier favorite team anymore after being able to for the last 20 years.

From those numbers, you Think that 98% follow thier OWN home team, I doubt thats the case either.
He means 2 million probably

The NFL really isn’t “dragging its feet” so much as it has been left at the altar, if you need an analogy. No one has been willing to offer the NFL what it wants, which is a new experience for the NFL. Eventually they are going to have to settle.

Understand, as all sports media commentator do, that this package will lose money on a cash basis. It is unlike the “split the pot” out of market packages in other sports, its only value is to predicate access upon first buying something else.

Now Apple, which is also used to getting its way all the time, has tried to think outside the box. Just toss in NFLST in with the other stuff on the $7 Apple TV, on the premise that this would make ATV virtually universal. But the contracts with CBS and Fox, which are for vastly more money, require it to be sold for a “premium price”, generally accepted to be $300 per year. Apple really isn’t sure that it wants to be in the premium content business.

So Amazon, but Prime already is pretty universal. How many more people are going to get Prime to get access to ST? Not really that many left to sell. Amazon seems to have made a final offer, well below what the NFL wants

So Disney, whose streaming business, like all streaming businesses, is hemorrhaging money. Could it sell a significant number of people on the full Disney bundle as the predicate for ST. Disney Plus is for children, Hulu is a bunch of reruns, and ESPN+ is sports not popular enough to get on ESPN. Hard sell.

There will be far more that will be able to. My guess is that the number of people that have DTV and no broadband is minuscule compared to the number of people that have good broadband but can't get DTV (for whatever reason) or more importantly don't want to pay for it to have access to Sunday Ticket.

And let's not forget. Most fans live in the market of their favorite team. All you need to watch those games is an antenna or a very basic TV package.

There will be far more that will be able to. My guess is that the number of people that have DTV and no broadband is minuscule compared to the number of people that have good broadband but can't get DTV (for whatever reason) or more importantly don't want to pay for it to have access to Sunday Ticket.
Why do you think so many cant get direct? Every thing you said is pure opinion.

Reactions: SamCdbs
The NFL really isn’t “dragging its feet” so much as it has been left at the altar, if you need an analogy. No one has been willing to offer the NFL what it wants, which is a new experience for the NFL. Eventually they are going to have to settle.

Understand, as all sports media commentator do, that this package will lose money on a cash basis. It is unlike the “split the pot” out of market packages in other sports, its only value is to predicate access upon first buying something else.

Now Apple, which is also used to getting its way all the time, has tried to think outside the box. Just toss in NFLST in with the other stuff on the $7 Apple TV, on the premise that this would make ATV virtually universal. But the contracts with CBS and Fox, which are for vastly more money, require it to be sold for a “premium price”, generally accepted to be $300 per year. Apple really isn’t sure that it wants to be in the premium content business.

So Amazon, but Prime already is pretty universal. How many more people are going to get Prime to get access to ST? Not really that many left to sell. Amazon seems to have made a final offer, well below what the NFL wants

So Disney, whose streaming business, like all streaming businesses, is hemorrhaging money. Could it sell a significant number of people on the full Disney bundle as the predicate for ST. Disney Plus is for children, Hulu is a bunch of reruns, and ESPN+ is sports not popular enough to get on ESPN. Hard sell.
How did directv get away with giving it free to new and long standing subs?

That is a good question. I really don’t know how many people that was, other than post-brags on boards like this, there is really no way to know, short of them telling us, which they won’t do.

I think the days, not just in ST, but all of TV, of “customer retention” are coming to an end. In the next era, it will cost what it costs, pay up or do without.

Yeah, will certainly be responsible for a not-insignificant portion of churn over the next year or more once the NFL season has concluded, a lot of people looking to switch and/or subscribe who otherwise couldn't before.

And let's not forget. Most fans live in the market of their favorite team. All you need to watch those games is an antenna or a very basic TV package.
Thats just it, I don't think its as much as you think ....
There are tons of fans that don't like thier HOME team.
Half the league Home fans probably don't like thier home team.

Early 2023..

What Update, nothing was told to us that we didn't already know.

No one said anything about early 2023 either.

Goodell said its at a "Critical" point ... thats Only because no one has offered to pay the ridiculous money the NFL thinks it should get ...

If offers don't increase, what will the NFL do then ???

They will look at the highest bidder again.

So, Quit Bidding and it won't go any higher and the NFL will be in the bind, not the people bidding or the customer ....

Status
Please reply by conversation.