directv users

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not now. Once I thought cable would be better and had a terrible time. Both E* and D* have better equipment then my local cable provider. If I had the same setup I do now (beside MRV since cable doesn't offer it here) I'd be spending at least double I am now.

Satellite offers better channel selection, more HD. It would take Free for me to even think of coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I dropped cable when I bought my house in 2002. Wouldn't ever go back
My neighbor thought cable was the best....why did his cable go out all the time?

When I moved into my apartment I could have got cable for internet....sure they make it sound great. 29.95 for fast internet....yup for 6 months. then it jumps to 65.99 :eek:
Cable prices are worse....DVR is really buggy. When my 77 year old grandma knows how to reboot her cable box when it freezes up you know there is an issue
(Comcast)

Nope.

Most sat subscribers, being Dish or Directv, who switched from cable are happier with their sat service. You will find cable subscribers who swore off satellite because they were dissatisfied with a satellite service, and did not try the other sat co.

Dropped FiOS TV five years ago and don't regret it at all. I got a card in the mail from Comcast offering me $10 to listen to their sales pitch and by the time I was done telling the CSR what I was getting and what I was paying for it she was ready to switch.

I came from Cablevision about 5 years ago, and have never had any desire to switch back. Equipment was painfully slow with cable. Direct is T.V. viewing at its best, with the Genie and the 5 tuners. Never a DVR conflict, and everything just works.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I used to have Directv, and left about 10 years ago mainly because I lost my signal to often due to weather conditions. I've heard it's much better now, and I'm just tired of cable prices going up to often, so I've decided to go back to Directv. From what your replies are saying I'm more at ease with going back now. Thanks again for your input.

Mav

We've had some good heavy rains the past couple of weeks and we haven't lost our Directv signal but maybe for a second or two.

Cable sucks as their prices are usually higher and their equipment is crap. Yes I could get a Tivo branded DVR from Suddenlink but it's $17, A PIECE per month, otherwise it's $7 per receiver if it's a standard receiver and I believe $12 per DVR. I could do whole house DVR but there's a $10 fee I think for that one. Just to replace what I have now I'd be paying $36 just in lease fees. My lease fee with Directv is $23 and that includes HD and WHD service.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I used to have Directv, and left about 10 years ago mainly because I lost my signal to often due to weather conditions. I've heard it's much better now, and I'm just tired of cable prices going up to often, so I've decided to go back to Directv. From what your replies are saying I'm more at ease with going back now. Thanks again for your input.

Mav

Directv prices go up every year in Feb/March, just like other companies, just not as much.

I have been a Directv customer since 1995 when I switched from cable!! I personally would never go back!!! You read a lot of neg. input about Directv on this forum but I can tell you my opinion: Directv has been great and I have never had a problem with them or their service!!! I am very happy with Directv!!

Directv was a must for me when finally having our own place to live because of Sunday Ticket and at the time Mega March Madness. Directv is a must for sports fans even though the regional stuff went all to hell but that's not all Directv's fault really but I don't pay for the extra regional sports stuff anymore. It was cool when you could watch out of market games but the PPV style packages ruined that. Signal has never really been an issue. Yeah, some hard rain to the southeast causes a minor outage from time to time but usually if the weather is that bad, there are other things to worry about than watching tv.

Depends on your situation and where you live.

For me I'd switch back to cable or stay with D*, either is perfectly valid.

My HOA has a bulk deal with Comcast. Comcast is really strong in this area. Good internet for a decent price. 30mbs for 45 per month is a great deal. Every HD station D* has if not more (except RSN which I watch mostly pro sports so out of market ones are mostly useless to me). So quality and what they offer is pretty similar in the end. Where they differ is on price.

HOA bulk account is paid via dues if I use it or not. If I want to expand service to include Choice Ultimate type selection w/HD it would cost me $27.90 per month. If I want premier it would cost $63.90. Add tivo to that at $15 per month so 42.90 and 78.90 respectively. So a decent price difference for me compared to D* regular pricing and Comcast doesn't want a 2 year contract. They also have a ton more video on demand than D* and it doesn't suck speed wise either.

Comcast DVR does suck. Cable cards are free of monthly sub you can go with Tivo for $15 per month which is more than adequate. The newest update brings the premiere in line performance wise with what it should of been at release. I think D's boxes are equal or better for most things but Tivo is no slouch and far superior to the normal cable box dvr, on par with D* boxes and fortunately cable cards do not add to the cost.

So for me D* is a decent premium cost wise. You also run into the annoyance of the leased gear, service contracts and the possibility of contract issues. I mean you can't even add a box (regardless if you got it from D, if its a HR34 or a crap box single tuner) without a 2 year commitment. Some of D*'s policies are a bit hard to swallow just like Comcast in many areas. Although at least with Comcast you can sign up without any commitments which means I can leave if a rep happens to piss me off or if the service isn't what I was promissed without eating a big ETF. With D* you'll pay one way or another.

Satellite companies love their contracts. Its also probably the single biggest issue that pisses off subscribers. They use them because they can, I don't buy their costs are any higher than Comcast who still has to roll vans for every install, uses similar consumer gear and not only that installs cable to every single house in every neighborhood regardless if its used or not (much less all the empty space with cable runs just to connect it all together). D* launched some birds, has next to zero maintenance after the fact (comparatively) and didn't have to dig trenches, lay cable etc they just install a crappy dish that likely costs them under $25 to make and pay some local sub (no benefits, no comp on D*) slightly above minimum wage to install. Especially now with single wire installs its easier than ever on satellite providers.

So while I have issues with both companies and currently give my business to D* I'm not quite as sympathetic to them as many here nor do I think they are the end all be all of content providers.

Last edited:
Dropped FiOS TV five years ago and don't regret it at all. I got a card in the mail from Comcast offering me $10 to listen to their sales pitch and by the time I was done telling the CSR what I was getting and what I was paying for it she was ready to switch.

LOVE this post! It's like "Come FROM the dark side!"

Thanks.

Normally I would say that I am happy with DTV, but I have noticed more and more problems with on demand content with my HR34. My girlfriend and I love our on demand with the cable company but DTV's on demand is severely lacking. I have a great internet connection with about 30 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. I have been unable to watch any on demand content. The download starts and then I get an error on the screen that the network connection has been lost. I've reset the cinema connection kit and I've reset receivers and reinstalled software but nothing seems to work.

I have promotions being offered from the cable company that will significantly lower my bill and leave my services at the same as what they're at now. I enjoy my DTV service but the on demand issue is frustrating. My bill has also been creeping up quite a bit as well, but that is to be expected over time.

No regrets here! Cable was behind the times 12 years ago and they are still behind the times here. Satellite is cheaper and their equipment is far superior to cable.

No regrets here! Cable was behind the times 12 years ago and they are still behind the times here. Satellite is cheaper and their equipment is far superior to cable.
It is not my intent to "bash" DTV, but once was a customer and switched to Cable about 10 yrs ago. We have many On Demand channels, Start over channels that play without issue. No regrets, maybe NFL, but my cable has "free" Red Zone, we have a lot of HD channels 100+, picture and sound is excellent. Most important, no 2 yr contact. Equipment problems, real or imagined, are quickly resolved by rolling a no cost tech to the house or going ~5 miles to exchange boxes, modems, controllers etc. About every 3 months or so, I go thru the drill of checking out prices on the DTV site,months 1-3, 4-12 and 13-24. They are higher in price than my cable/internet/phone. I have compared this will all the discounts, referrals, AAA, Costco, BB etc. With a DTV bundle, I have to have a DSL internet connection, (up to 10Mb) and a local phone company telephone system. Doing the DSL and phone seperately, exceeds my cable combo deal by $50. On a side note, there are a lot of local channels here that broadcast local sports such as high school football/basketball etc. If the time ever comes, and its a price advantage, in spite of a 2 yr contract (thats hard to say) I might change. If I ever moved to a remote location, local cable was crap or not available, it would be a no brainer. JM2C

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)