DirecTV version of DishAnywhere

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brian Rowe

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Alabama
Does DirecTV have an answer yet to the DishAnywhere app that lets you watch any channel live on any device no matter where you are?

I have thought about maybe getting a Chromecast specifically so that I can watch my DirecTV in one of the rooms that doesn't have a receiver installed. Will that D* app work on Chromecast, or can I just bring up the webpage where I can get the DirecTV Player software like I would on the computer?

The D* app from the Google Playstore lets you watch D* programming anywhere.
Have you tried it? When I had DTV before, it was only a limited number of channels. Have you tried watching your locals, espn, cnn, etc on the app?

Most of the channels are now streamed directly from DIRECTV's servers. And if you have a HR44/HR54 and it's connected to the internet then the channels that DIRECTV doesn't stream from their servers will be streamed from the HR44/HR54.

I don't know how up to date this list is but it gives you an idea, https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3624

Before posting here I talked to a friend of mine who still had DTV. He said he wasn't able to watch local channels on the app. Is there anything you can't watch on the app?
For me, I go to the guide, the guide will populate and many be 15 sec later it will refresh and the locals will be there. Sometimes not even that long.

For me, I go to the guide, the guide will populate and many be 15 sec later it will refresh and the locals will be there. Sometimes not even that long.
Mine worked the same way when it first rolled out.....Now I only get one local channel....a FOX local...Not sure what changed?

So my buddy in Pensacola just tried it. He can't get any local channels on the app or standard networks. Only what he calls "cable" channels.

Where I "live," there are 2 sets of locals. All populate and show on the app. It kinda works like Jimbo said - first they're not there, then the Boston locals appear and then the Burlington locals appear. However, I can only watch the Burlington locals on the phone and they look like poor SD. The Boston locals just sit there loads forever and never actually do anything.

I was in an area with 4G LTE cell service (the DMV... blah...) yesterday and streaming the national channels actually looked really good and it worked very well. I didn't check anything with the locals but they were listed. I will try not to forget that next time. It felt like the "I wonder if it's too early to leave?" "You're not going anywhere." commercial.

Reactions: Jimbo
So I'm used to using the DishAnywhere app and picture quality is outstanding. I use it a lot when traveling.

But the national channels look quite good. I looked at Viceland, too, and it looked good, but I didn't screen shot the pot smoking, for fear of site banishment! This is all on my home wifi.

Attachments

• 1477518736299.jpg
    1477518736299.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 134
Here is one page of my locals. And I can stream my DNS NBC but it looks SD.

Attachments

• 1477518957710.jpg
    1477518957710.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 169
  • 1477518970122.jpg
    1477518970122.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 155
IMG_1477526661.726625.jpg
checked my iPhone an app getting locals just fine, both Fox which DIRECTV stream and the others that stream from my HR54.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Interestingly, today,the locals are not loading ....

Interestingly, for me, I can stream any of my locals now. I wonder what causes the inconsistencies. I get nothing from channel 600 and above on any of the guides on my phone tonight.

For those having issues, try pressing the right arrow that appears in the blue banner. That seems to make things appear and disappear. Edit - nevermind, that is just the forward in the guide. lol Obviously. My bad...

I was wondering if it was different between my Cell Phone and my Tablet ... originally, the locals did come in on my Tablet, never checked the phone.

My question about the DIRECTV app is does sports packages show up, I know the NFL ST has it's own app, and you can stream data free, but say the NBA League Pass, do they show up, I haven't had a chance to check. Or would the RSN be able to be streamed, like for my Rockets, 674 is ROOT Sports, I have the Sports Pack.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)